Empire Builder Summer Blues Started Early this year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to 4+ hour delays on the eastbound EBs today, with 2+ hour delays westbound. My BNSF contacts say construct continues and will do so thru much of the rest of October, especially during the Mon-Fri timeframes. He said expect 2-4 hour delays on this route during the weekdays as BNSF crews try to finish up their Fall work schedules.

More missed connections I am afraid. I wonder why things settled down for a couple days??? Perhaps BNSF took a break?

4 October #28 is in Spokane on time. Amtrak says 8 is early. Big oil train heading west just passed us as we sit in town. This is our first trip on the EB--beautiful start out of Portland. Could have used another one or two hours of daylight, though. I'll have to try this one in June sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:
8/28 left Spokane on time, but we're following a few 100+ car freights, so I'm not overly optimistic that our performance will remain stellar when I wake up tomorrow.

8/28 left Spokane on time, but we're following a few 100+ car freights, so I'm not overly optimistic that our performance will remain stellar when I wake up tomorrow.
:hi: Hope you're enjoying being on a LD Triain to Celebrate your Birthday! Even though the Builder is Running Late, As the Old Song "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" goes:: "..I don't care if I ever get back!"

Look forward to seeing you in Chicago @ the Gathering and yourcontinuing Updates from the Hi Line!

Awoke in Whitefish twenty minutes early. This riding a train on my birthday thing is working out. Just starting to get light.

East Glacier on schedule. Knock wood. It's kind of pretty in the park. Heading towards the high plains, it looks like.

Into Shelby early. Smokers are happy. I think from Montana Mike's posts, the delays may still be ahead of us. No matter, the high plains are as beautiful as the glacier peaks. An icecoldtrain car just parked next to us. It looks to be self contained refrigeration.

Glad the trip has gone well so far. You should get somewhat of a break due to the slimmed down weekend work schedules. Yesterday's #8 into Chicago was a mess-6 hours and 15 minutes late-arrgh. Today's is "only" 3 1/2 hours late, so somewhat of an improvement. Eastbound EBs on the weekend have averaged arrival times only 2 hours behind, so let's hope the one you are on is at least this good for you--enjoy the ride!!!

Thanks Montana mike. We were on time through Malta, but now sitting still east of Hinsdale. I have noticed equipment and supplies along the route for the last 60 miles or so, but no active work. Lots of rail sections stacked at Hinsdale.

Just told we're waiting on a freight. They have been waiting for us all day. I am not used to seeing that...this seems more normal.

Just passed the 7 train, west of Glasgow. They are 3+ hours late. That last freight puts us into Glasgow about 15-20 minutes down. I think that's the first late stop for the trip. Our first trip through Montana and we are both impressed. Very nice all the way.

In Glasgow, MT now. Lots of material and equipment staging. But all the workers appear to be at a street fair in town...Octoberfest???

8 in Stanley, ND, 45 minutes down. Waited for three BNSF container freights outside of Wolf point. Lots of freight traffic. They're emptying out the breadbasket...over 500 hoppers of grain went west in four hours this afternoon.

Any idea why the #7 has been losing so much time lately so early in the run? The last couple nights it's been over an hour and a half late before getting off of CP tracks.
I'm not sure exactly but it may have to do with Chicago train congtestion. There's huge amounts of freight trains out of the city and Amtrak also has to contend with Metra.

Another reason might be mechanical problems with the train, yet another reason I can think of is possible track defects that require repairs.

Again, not exacly sure, just throwing ideas out there.

8 pulling in to St.Paul 30 minutes down...wait, what's that up ahead??? It's a BNSF freight car jumping the tracks right before the depot. Nice. Back to regular schedule for the builder. I also heard rumor that the transit of Wisconsin might be a little slow. If we get there, I'll let you know. More time on the train....nice.

We seem to be moving just fine in Wisconsin. Sorry for the rumor mongoring. We are about two hours down at Tomah, WI. The slow down in St. Paul is what killed us. There was some Sunday work going on there at Division (?) Street, that may have taken some time also.

Glad the trip has gone well so far. You should get somewhat of a break due to the slimmed down weekend work schedules. Yesterday's #8 into Chicago was a mess-6 hours and 15 minutes late-arrgh. Today's is "only" 3 1/2 hours late, so somewhat of an improvement. Eastbound EBs on the weekend have averaged arrival times only 2 hours behind, so let's hope the one you are on is at least this good for you--enjoy the ride!!!
I was on that late #8 [2].

Track work wasn't the problem.

It was mostly the slowdown caused by hauling 5 empty private cars on the back of our train from Seattle. Took longer to make the train at Spokane when we combined with 28 from Portland, then also caused a delay in MSP to remove those cars. Add to that the fact we had just the two engines. At Maria's Pass, we first slowed, then had to stop the train. The engineer shut off HEP to the cars, and used that added horsepower to - slowly- reach the crest. Then we stopped to turn HEP back on and were easily able to coast back down and on with the trip. But we were badly off schedule by then.

It was the delays from the extra cars that got us off-cycle with our train orders, but I don't remember any stops on sidings waiting for construction. Before we got to Red Wing, we had a long delay for a bridge to turn after a barge passed. I think the conductor had to check the rail connections before we started again, because that barge was a long way from us by the time we crossed the bridge.

We were so far behind at Portage - scheduled arrival of 12:27 - when we got there at 4:54, the conductor had to announce that we were awaiting new orders from CP. Eventually, the train moved at 6:03, but that was just to get out of the way. We finally got rolling again at 6:30 sharp and then had to stop for the 7(4) to pass us at 6:38. That northbound 7(4) also had some private cars - at least two - on its tail end, so I expect it had delays at MSP as well.

Ours was a crowded train and needed two boarding spots at many more stations than when I'd ridden this route previously. Revenue passengers filled 4 of the transdorm roomettes. In my car, the roomettes got recycled a lot, rarely empty for more than two stops. The dining car staff were excellent all along the trip, as was our SCA, but the crowding and the length of the trip took a toll. The "wine tasting" was abbreviated, apparently because of insufficient supply of wines and the length of meals, since the delays meant more passengers ate in the dining car. Menu items were limited by the final lunch. In fact, the dining room was long since out of food by the time we got to Portage and there was no dinner offered on Friday, even though the train arrived so late into CHI. At Portage or Columbus, the SCA in 830 found enough snack packs for about 2/3 of the sleeper passengers, don't know about the coach passengers, although there was some kind of announcement for them. The snack bar in the observation car had been doing a very brisk business for the entire trip. The lounge attendant found supplies somewhere and restocked it, but I'd bet he ran out again before our train got to Chicago.

After we left Columbus, the conductor made announcements about failed connections and what Amtrak customer service had told him they planned to do for the affected passengers. When I heard him talking to a neighboring roomette passenger, he was extremely professional in conversing with that hostile woman, leaving her much calmed. I was highly impressed by him and how well he dealt with a bad situation. I thought his patience and kindness went above and beyond the call of duty.

A number of sleeper passengers [me included] had tickets to CHI but got off early at Milwaukee.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed assessment. Gee, one would think that Amtrak could have done a better job planning that trip. 5 Private cars and barely enough power to get over Marias Pass, plus running out of food sounds like someone did a poor job of provisioning. Having been on quite a few late LD trains, once you lose your "slot" things just seem to snowball.......

There's an odd trend which is showing up on this and a number of other routes: Amtrak is having trouble handling packed, sold-out trains. Most notably, the boarding procedures at various stations are not designed for busy, full trains -- platforms are too short, etc. This needs to be addressed.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed assessment. Gee, one would think that Amtrak could have done a better job planning that trip. 5 Private cars and barely enough power to get over Marias Pass, plus running out of food sounds like someone did a poor job of provisioning. Having been on quite a few late LD trains, once you lose your "slot" things just seem to snowball.......
An announcement one of the conductors made about having just the two engines suggested that the problem was simply that another loco just wasn't available in Seattle. I hope Amtrak was paid sufficiently to haul those private cars for it to help pay current bills. We had seen the same cars on my CS [30] from CA to Seattle:

Mid-America Mohave MRLX 800651

Wisconsin Valley Lounge 800787

The Milwaukee River 800195

MIlwaukee Road Superdome 800862

Lamberts Point 800702

Overheard an employee on board one of these otherwise empty cars that there had been a Levi Strauss private conference that used these cars in California.

Re: provisioning. This is only gossip I overheard, but it seemed that Amtrak is REALLY REALLY trying to be conservative with ANY outgo of money or supplies right now and for the past month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back