Empire Builder flood disruptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Montana where the Empire Builder is the only passenger train service. Amtrak in Chicago reports in this morning's newspaper they will try to run the EB this Saturday, 16 April along its entire route. Fingers crossed!

First, I fail to see why anyone feels entitled to just get off the train when they want. You wouldn't open the door on an airplane to get off during a hold situation at the airport. You contracted with Amtrak to go from point A to point B.
My, such a vociferous response, considering that I carefully wrote, "That's what I'd want to do." Not, "That's what I'm entitled to do." Not, "That's what I would do." Not, "That's what I'd demand to be allowed to do." Not, "I'd pull the emergency brake and make a run for it." Expressing a desire, however unreasonable, isn't the same as demanding the item desired. Heck, I want to have steak for dinner, but I don't feel entitled to it (and in fact won't get it).
That wasn't directed at you; but rather those who do seem to think that they have some legal right to just get off the train if it stops moving. The type that call 911 in situations like this, which only further delays the train.
But Alan, there are many times that Amtrak does things that are really obtuse, like stop just short of a station when there is a long delay and not let people off. My husband was stuck on an NEC train once, just feet from the PVD station, for many long hours. There was no HEP (I don't know what the deal was), so they sweltered and sat with no operating toilets. The staff all went and hid, and no one was given any updates. It is a combination of being able to see the destination and absolutely no communication from the staff that infuriates pax.

I do liken it to being stuck on a plane sitting on the tarmac. At this point, the federal government has established reasonable amounts of time that the airplanes are allowed to do that. Offhand, I don't know what they are, but my understanding is that after a certain amount of time they have to provide food and/or water or return to the gate, and if not, there are fines.

I understand that there are ROW issues, and obviously it is dangerous to have tons of pax walking along the tracks, but I also feel for the pax in a situation where the conditions on the train are unbearable and the delays have been many hours. I just think sometimes amtrak needs to handle it better, and in the cause of Claude on FB, I think they should have provided free food at some point during a 23 hour delay (if I understood his post correctly, it sounds like he did not receive any complimentary food).

Empire Builder train 27 (westbound) departed Chicago today; departed Glenview, IL on time at 2:39 CDT. Let's hope it's going all the way to Portland / Seattle and not just to MSP.

Photos of the Amtrak route from BNSF:

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/weather/2011-04-14.pdf

Supposedly both the Hillsboro and Devils Lake subdivisions are back in service today, but I'm guessing there will be extensive slow orders.

Adding insult to injury, much of North Dakota is getting covered by snow today.

Mark

Cool, that's some of the PDF I was trying to figure out how to post. The one I have has 41 photos.
And here it is for you...

http://stavely.org/ryan/files/2011_ND_Flooding.pdf

I'm getting concerned. We are ticketed on 27 on May 8th from Chicago to Portland and will connect with The Coast Starlight to LA. We made these reservations last September and chose to ride the long way to LA. I really hope things are better in three weeks. I know Amtrak calls you a couple of days ahead of time if the train won't run,but at that point I would imagine the sleepers on the other Westbound trains..California Zephyr, Southwest chief and the Texas Eagle are sold out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll even put up with "bustitution" from Pasco to Klamath Falls if the train is running late. I just want it to be running!

Our trip on the EB is on May 1 ... and my fingers are still crossed!!

It left SEA on time today ... let's just hope there are no problems through to CHI!

http://www.bnsf.com/customers/pdf/weather/2011-04-14.pdf

Supposedly both the Hillsboro and Devils Lake subdivisions are back in service today, but I'm guessing there will be extensive slow orders.

Mark

Cool, that's some of the PDF I was trying to figure out how to post. The one I have has 41 photos.

http://stavely.org/ryan/files/2011_ND_Flooding.pdf
Looking at those pics makes one wonder why anyone ever decided that it was a good idea to run both a highway and a railway across a 'sea' of water. :eek:

Just kidding, of course, but I had no idea that people living in that area were being subjected to those kind of conditions somewhat frequently. It really does almost looks like a huge, inland sea. :(

http://www.bnsf.com/.../2011-04-14.pdf

Mark

http://stavely.org/r...ND_Flooding.pdf

WOW! That is some very clear and extensive photography that shows the real challanges being faced. I can only imagine what those who live in those communities are going thru....

First, I fail to see why anyone feels entitled to just get off the train when they want. You wouldn't open the door on an airplane to get off during a hold situation at the airport. You contracted with Amtrak to go from point A to point B.
My, such a vociferous response, considering that I carefully wrote, "That's what I'd want to do." Not, "That's what I'm entitled to do." Not, "That's what I would do." Not, "That's what I'd demand to be allowed to do." Not, "I'd pull the emergency brake and make a run for it." Expressing a desire, however unreasonable, isn't the same as demanding the item desired. Heck, I want to have steak for dinner, but I don't feel entitled to it (and in fact won't get it).
That wasn't directed at you; but rather those who do seem to think that they have some legal right to just get off the train if it stops moving. The type that call 911 in situations like this, which only further delays the train.
But Alan, there are many times that Amtrak does things that are really obtuse, like stop just short of a station when there is a long delay and not let people off. My husband was stuck on an NEC train once, just feet from the PVD station, for many long hours. There was no HEP (I don't know what the deal was), so they sweltered and sat with no operating toilets. The staff all went and hid, and no one was given any updates. It is a combination of being able to see the destination and absolutely no communication from the staff that infuriates pax.

I do liken it to being stuck on a plane sitting on the tarmac. At this point, the federal government has established reasonable amounts of time that the airplanes are allowed to do that. Offhand, I don't know what they are, but my understanding is that after a certain amount of time they have to provide food and/or water or return to the gate, and if not, there are fines.

I understand that there are ROW issues, and obviously it is dangerous to have tons of pax walking along the tracks, but I also feel for the pax in a situation where the conditions on the train are unbearable and the delays have been many hours. I just think sometimes amtrak needs to handle it better, and in the cause of Claude on FB, I think they should have provided free food at some point during a 23 hour delay (if I understood his post correctly, it sounds like he did not receive any complimentary food).
In that case I would get off the train if it means jumping out the emergency window. So i get arrested its better then passing out from the heat with no remorse from the crew.

Eastbound Empire Builder (train 28) departed Libby, MT this morning only 11 minutes late. Fingers crossed!

Westbound Empire Builder (train 27) went to Grand Forks this morning (Saturday, 16 April) and did not take the Surrey Cutoff. Train was already 90 minutes late in Grand Forks.

More good news...... :eek:hboy:

By Associated Press Devils Lake Journal Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 12:30 PM

Devils Lake, ND — DEVILS LAKE, N.D. (AP) — Forecasters say they expect a big rise on Devils Lake in the coming weeks.The National Weather Service says coulees draining into the lake will continue flowing despite a recent cold snap. The Grand Forks Herald reports that the agency is expecting a 2-to-3-foot rise in the lake in the next three to six weeks.

The lake is at a record level and less than 6 feet from the point at which it will overflow naturally into the Sheyenne River.

Devils Lake has quadrupled in size because of a series of wet years since the early 1990s. Flooding in the region has caused hundreds of millions of dollars in damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The status map is not working??
From the Status Maps website--

SCHEDULED DOWNTIMEAmtrak has scheduled a major upgrade to its reservation system on Sunday, April 17, 2011. During that time, it will be impossible to get train status information. That means that Amtrak Status Maps will be down also at that time.
They may have started early.

:huh:

Train 27 was two hours late into Williston ND. Two hours I can handle. Our trip on #27 from Chicago to Portland is three weeks away. Hope the Builder will keep running on a daily basis!

In that case I would get off the train if it means jumping out the emergency window. So i get arrested its better then passing out from the heat with no remorse from the crew.
Passed out is better than dead. It's also better than sitting in jail with a broken leg.

@ alanB

passed out from heat exhaustion in the middle of summer because of No HEP and 2 feet from the station I'm getting off the train if it means jumping out the window. 2 feet from the station is BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ alanB

passed out from heat exhaustion in the middle of summer because of No HEP and 2 feet from the station I'm getting off the train if it means jumping out the window. 2 feet from the station is BS.
While I certainly hope you were joking bout the window I still feel compelled to say...

If there is no immediate danger (and the AC turned off is not what I mean by immediate danger, I mean the fire is going to burn you alive, or the water is going to drown you type of danger) never ever attempt to open an emergency window.

If you were to actually remove a window because the car was "too hot" you would almost surely be arrested and charged very large fees. Not only for the damage, but for operating emergency equipment when an emergency did not in fact exist.

While you still shouldn't do it, opening a door in a vestibule is at least not going to damage the car like removing a window. Plus the hop down is alot more manageable. Still doesn't mean its safe or legal, but alot smarter than a window.

Eastbound Empire Builder (train 8) is making the journey now from Portland/Seattle to Chicago through Grand Forks; hasn't taken the Surrey Cutoff yet. Last 2 days it averages not quite an hour and a half late into Chicago.

This is such great news!! My fingers are still crossed!!

You're not the only one with crossed fingers, I've got tickets for the EB this sat. Apr 23 from CHI-PDX, hopefully it keeps running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back