Empire Builder discounts?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe123

We're looking at taking a one-way trip from Seattle to Minneapolis. July or August of 2024

We wanted to make a 5 night stop in West Glacier. The Empire Builder stops there.

Amtrak doesn't allow breaks in a trip, so you need to book a multi-city ticket.

For a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children in a single family sleeper room) this multi city is $716 more than the $2703 Seattle->Minneapolis direct fare. Not great as the direct fare isn't cheap.

I've never booked Amtrak before so I'm unsure what promotions are available? I signed up for their promotions via email a few months ago but have not received anything yet.

If the above is as good as the prices get we'll probably pass. Despite always wanting to take the Empire Builder I don't want it $3,419 much :)

I know Amtrak Travel offers packages but all I see is Chicago->Seattle with 3 days in Glacier and excursions we're not interested in.

Thanks!

If you are a member of Rail Passengers Association, there is a discount off the rail fare (not sleeper accommoation). I am not sure how that would work if you are receving discounts on the rail fare for the children in your room.

FYI Amtrak Vacations is a travel agency and is not Amtrak. Generally the price one would pay for a trip booked by Amtrak Vacations is more than booking yourself.

We're looking at taking a one-way trip from Seattle to Minneapolis. July or August of 2024

We wanted to make a 5 night stop in West Glacier. The Empire Builder stops there.

Amtrak doesn't allow breaks in a trip, so you need to book a multi-city ticket.

For a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children in a single family sleeper room) this multi city is $716 more than the $2703 Seattle->Minneapolis direct fare. Not great as the direct fare isn't cheap.

I've never booked Amtrak before so I'm unsure what promotions are available? I signed up for their promotions via email a few months ago but have not received anything yet.

If the above is as good as the prices get we'll probably pass. Despite always wanting to take the Empire Builder I don't want it $3,419 much :)

I know Amtrak Travel offers packages but all I see is Chicago->Seattle with 3 days in Glacier and excursions we're not interested in.

Thanks!
They say you can customize the tours to a great degree as to the details but as PennyK says they can cost more.

Have you considered a hybrid trip? Maybe there are some other options than a sleeper all the way from MSP to Seattle.

I'd say it's a good thing you are getting an early start planning this trip because that should help you get the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back