Empire Builder Annulled on Alternate Days?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes, but the gist of it was that if Amtrak gets priority and the rest of the freight moves at more or less the same pace, then things can work. If the UPS trains start getting run around the oil and grain trains, which sounds like a good idea from a business perspective, then you have overall slower system speed and more trains on sidings, which makes it harder to keep Amtrak running on green signals.

Wow, we dodged a bullet. Took the EB from Chicago to Portland on Nov. 11th and had a super trip. Pulled in 20 minutes late.

I hope those who are taking it now have a wonderful trip as well.

My read on this situation is that BNSF is swamped and that there's been enough of a spike over the last few years in traffic in the Dakotas to swamp existing infrastructure. To their credit, none of this could have been foreseen. A few thoughts:

-On rates, BNSF is likely walking a tightrope with the oil shipments: If they charge too much, they'll lose long-term business to the pipeline lobby.

-On investment, I'm not sure how much EIS BS they have to go through, but given some of the stories I've heard over the years (I seem to recall some horror story where ATSF had to fight to reinstall a second track within their own ROW in some canyon), it's quite possible that there are chokepoints they can't resolve in a timely manner.

--It's also clearly the case that they've just been overwhelmed in the last few years. The fact that they went from looking to ditch a secondary main to upgrading it to deal with traffic is a sign of how much things have changed.

--I can't help but wonder if it might not make more sense to re-connect some broken secondary lines in places. Cue the EIS-esque stuff, but it might be necessary if the traffic flow is sustained.

-On dispatching...sounds like they've got an FNG in charge, which works about as well in a railyard as it does in airsoft.

--And while the Builder is "high priority", it certainly sounds like the Builder isn't the only train getting screwed. It's one thing if the Builder is alone in getting the short end of the stick and another if there are hotshot freights

-A thought on Amtrak's front: If they're annulling on that scale, any chance they could reshuffle equipment to at least keep daily service CHI-MSP, and push the "other" train to about 16-18 cars a la the Auto Train so they could move passengers around by a day rather than losing them entirely? If I get cancelled out entirely from a trip, I'll be angry; I'll be less so (more annoyed) if Amtrak does a good job of trying to make it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that they are preserving daily service CHI-MSP and PDX/SEA-SPK. This probably explains why they are only running every other day, as they need at least one full trainset for these stub trains.

Interesting idea on running longer trains. If five 11-car trainsets were condensed into three 16-17 car trainsets, operating every other day, then each train would run on a six-day rotation with an overnight on the west coast. Would add some delays due to multiple stops at station platforms, and would require much more flexibility in staffing that Amtrak is generally capable of, but it would be preferable to cancellation around the holiday season, when many travelers don't need to travel on a particular day but do need to get there.

While disappointed for all the customers this will effect, I am encouraged that there is mention of an additional trainset which should help in the future.

We are taking 8 on the 31st from Portland connecting to the Cardinal and hopefully since this is a holiday perhaps we will make it all the way.

Stan

While disappointed for all the customers this will effect, I am encouraged that there is mention of an additional trainset which should help in the future.

We are taking 8 on the 31st from Portland connecting to the Cardinal and hopefully since this is a holiday perhaps we will make it all the way.

Stan
Assuming the weather holds out you stand a better chance than others because the freight traffic will be signifianctly reduced during the holiday, meaning less opportunity for cascading delays. In my expieriences whenever I have taken a holiday train the freight traffic has been so dead Amtrak is running ahead of schedule.

if you request the status of a train from Chicago to MSP tonight, Amtrak's online system doesn't know about any trains running. If you request train 807, you find the train is on-time
This trick may be useful in the next few days.

if you request the status of a train from Chicago to MSP tonight, Amtrak's online system doesn't know about any trains running. If you request train 807, you find the train is on-time
This trick may be useful in the next few days.
The app was giving the accurate train status of the stubs. It left Winona 36 minutes late. Now I'm getting no update on Red Wing and it should have been there more than an hour ago. :ph34r:

Amtrak.com shows that train 807 departed CHI on-time yesterday, arrived MSP at 11:40 p.m. last night (1 hr, 9 minutes late).

Anybody know what they are actually doing for the passengers on the annulled trains?

My assumption is they are getting a refund and no transportation, since there probably isn't any way to reaccomdate them.

No service disruption on Amtrak.com posted for this yet, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is with all you people. Give BNSF a break. They are in the same boat as Amtrak right now. Everyone is so "I hate freight trains blah blah blah." Yes, the freights are causing some issues at the moment but this problem will be solved and everything will go back to normal.

I've now cancelled an Empire Builder round trip I had planned in February. There were other reasons contributing to my decision, but the complete nonreliability of the service for quite some time now is a big part of it too. It looks to me that this is the new normal for this train.

It may be "the new normal" for the EB right now, but it won't be for long (hopefully). A few years ago, the SL was late almost every run - 12+ hours and at times over a day late. Now, it is more likely to arrive into LAX early.

BTW: My last trip on the EB arrived into PDX less than 30 minutes late!

The delays and frustrations will NOT change until BNSF gets a handle on it's issues, which as I and BNSF people have said will be months in concluding, not weeks. Things may get a little better after winter for a short time, but when BNSF's full construction season kicks into gear again in 2014 we are very likely to see a repeated of last summer--this according to my BNSF contacts here in MT.

Seems Amtrak res system hasn't been told about the anullments. Can't seem to copy from amsnag to here but fares are available every day PDX/Chi. Didn't try actually booking a trip. Maybe the Amtrak site kicks you out before you actually pay for the non-existent trip?

Also, I thought BNSF had contracted with Amtrak to run the trains on some specific schedule. Just because BNSF now decides it wants to run more trains, they get to ignore the contract? Or is there no substantive contract in place?

Bad way to fix a problem. Might have to twist some arms and get that 6th set of equipment for a protection set to Seattle. Done it before can do it again. I don't see this getting better for a few years.

So all that was accomplished was give the crews some rest and let some deferred maintenance (hopefully) get done. Now we can go back to 3-18 hour delays as before.

Trying to figure this out...

There is a trainset on the west coast now, part of which will be running as a stub train to SPK tonight (TS1). There is another trainset arriving as #7/27 today (TS2). A third is heading east across Montana as #8 (TS3). The fourth is about to depart Chicago, late due to extreme inbound delay with the minivan collision (TS4). Part of the fifth is on its way into CHI, running as a stub train from MSP (TS5).

There is no #8 today, but #7 is just leaving CHI (TS4).

Tomorrow the TS2 arriving SEA as #7 today will depart as #8(16). TS5 will depart Chicago, and TS3 will arrive in Chicago.

Tuesday TS1 will depart SEA as #8(17), and TS4 will arrive SEA. No train will arrive in Chicago. TS3 will depart CHI as #7.

Wednesday TS4 will depart SEA after an overnight there. If there is a departure from Chicago (as scheduled), then there must be a sixth trainset.

So while I haven't heard official notice, I'm assuming from the asymmetric cancellations (2 westbound, 3 eastbound) that there must be a sixth trainset entering service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back