Empire Builder Annulled on Alternate Days?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The major freight railroads have been lobbying Congress and the Senate for a number of years to get rid of the Long Distance Amtrak trains. Everytime a train can be annulled or not run for whatever reason, it helps the cause. Many people who might use Amtrak on a regular basis will say "never again" when they get the call that their long term plans to take Amtrak are cancelled with no alternative transportation. When passenger trains were operated by private railroads, the Interstate Commerce Commission would have stepped if railroads were systematically not running trains. Amtrak has been able to get away with it for years ie Sunset Limited between New Orleans and Orlando discontinued with no "train off' hearings.

The major freight railroads have been lobbying Congress and the Senate for a number of years to get rid of the Long Distance Amtrak trains.
A citation is needed for that one if it is being stated as a fact. If it is just an opinion then of course there is no need for a citation, and we can take it at its face value.

The major freight railroads have been lobbying Congress and the Senate for a number of years to get rid of the Long Distance Amtrak trains.
A citation is needed for that one if it is being stated as a fact. If it is just an opinion then of course there is no need for a citation, and we can take it at its face value.
You won't be able to cite most of the lobbying that happens in Washington, DC. My information comes from a good friend and confidant who works for one of the major railroads headquartered in the city where I live. This is someone at a higher management level who has an ear to the ground when it comes to lobbying efforts by this railroad and at least 1 other large railroad where he used to work. Beyond that I would not reveal any more information. Believe me its happening.

You won't be able to cite most of the lobbying that happens in Washington, DC. My information comes from a good friend and confidant who works for one of the major railroads headquartered in the city where I live. This is someone at a higher management level who has an ear to the ground when it comes to lobbying efforts by this railroad and at least 1 other large railroad where he used to work. Beyond that I would not reveal any more information. Believe me its happening.
Oh well that is CSX. CSX does not like Amtrak. I am going to guess the other railroad is UP. They do not like Amtrak either. But you cannot say all of the freight RRs lobby to congress about Amtrak when there are only 2 that you or your "source" know about. I believe that CSX would lobby, but most freight RRs today are too busy running their own business to whine to Congress.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be "the new normal" for the EB right now, but it won't be for long (hopefully). A few years ago, the SL was late almost every run - 12+ hours and at times over a day late. Now, it is more likely to arrive into LAX early.

BTW: My last trip on the EB arrived into PDX less than 30 minutes late!
In contrast, my last trip on the EB arrived in CHI 30 hours late. :p

Personally I won't be taking the EB anytime soon, just because I am not cool with the unreliability of it. I don't like a lot of uncertainty and it makes me anxious, so I'll just take the CZ or the SWC and add on the CS the next time I have to go to Seattle. :)

I think with the EB, as wiht much of amtrak, YMMV. Good luck to all on their travels.

It may be "the new normal" for the EB right now, but it won't be for long (hopefully). A few years ago, the SL was late almost every run - 12+ hours and at times over a day late. Now, it is more likely to arrive into LAX early.

BTW: My last trip on the EB arrived into PDX less than 30 minutes late!
In contrast, my last trip on the EB arrived in CHI 30 hours late. :p

Personally I won't be taking the EB anytime soon, just because I am not cool with the unreliability of it. I don't like a lot of uncertainty and it makes me anxious, so I'll just take the CZ or the SWC and add on the CS the next time I have to go to Seattle. :)

I think with the EB, as wiht much of amtrak, YMMV. Good luck to all on their travels.
My last couple of trips on the Empire Builder were 1/2 and 2 hours late. The one before that was 5 hours late and the car didn't have working air conditioning. The one before that was 7 hours late, and the SCA didn't wake us up before our 3 am stop.

My problem is that I don't have a lot of good options. I have to visit my aged mother in Minot. Airline ticket prices are breathtakingly high, and I won't drive to Minot in the winter. So I take the train, figuring that I'd rather be on a tardy but warm and safe train than white-knuckling my way down US 2.

But other than trips to Minot, I'm taking a year off from the Empire Builder. I hope things will be better in 2015.

Interesting comments all. As my son was getting off the 5 hour late Empire Builder in WFH last night at 2 AM the 60-70 other passengers that were also getting off were all commenting about not just the delays, but the power issues, the heat, toilet issues, etc….and sadly I could hear several people state--"that's it, I am not taking the train any more".

I don't like to hear this, but how does one effectively counterbalance their feelings on the matter. I love the trains and while I both fly and train, I would prefer a train, but it is the lack of dependability (which should be their strength) that was clearly on most passenger's minds last night. I did not see any "happy campers" getting off that train…..

Love the EB and my recent trip was superb. But I must confess, I would probably cancel if I had a trip planned now. Chances are way better than 50/50 that it will be a troublesome journey.

Alas, I hope they resolve these issues soon. I'm sure folks a both CSX and Amtrak are pulling their hair out.

sadly I could hear several people state--"that's it, I am not taking the train any more". I don't like to hear this, but how does one effectively counterbalance their feelings on the matter. I love the trains and while I both fly and train, I would prefer a train
So would I. One way to counter the "I'm not taking the train anymore" argument is to ask them this:
During the winter (actually anytime of the year), would you rather spend 5 hours late on a warm (or cool) train or days at an airport shut down for weather waiting for that "next flight out with seats available"?

And on the Hi Line in the winter, it's more a choice of a late train or the real posibility of a night in the ditch in a blizzard. Not a lot of planes to Havre, for instance. But three hours without power would be brutal. I complain about a trip without air conditioning, but heat really is more important.

Would building the Keystone Pipeline alleviate some of the freight traffic related to crude oil shipments?

Would building the Keystone Pipeline alleviate some of the freight traffic related to crude oil shipments?
Not in the long term, as the end result is still going to increase demand for oil. Keystone would also increase shipments of natural gas to Canada as they burn the gas in the refinement process of tar sands.

Every bit helps. I believe the pipeline would have been able to move over 100,000 BBLS of crude a day south the TX and LA. Since the fields in ND will be producing at a level of about 1.2 million BBLS a day that's less than 10%, but it would have helped.

Most in ND do believe the pipeline will not be built though, so the exercise is mostly an academic one.

No, every bit hurts. It's just like opening a new highway, congestion dies down temporarily inducing a demand for more cars which quickly clog up the new and old roads.

Any additional capacity will create additional demand, thus negating the effciency gains of improved capacity. Oil demand will likely continue to rise with or without Keystone XL, thus it is likely that the Hi-Line will remain full of oil cars for years to come with or without the pipeline.

Besides as previously mentioned it isn't just oil/gas related shipments, there are increases in intermodal, coal and grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides as previously mentioned it isn't just oil/gas related shipments, there are increases in intermodal, coal and grain.
There is also increased manifest traffic as each new oil well requires casing, cement, proppant, barite, drilling fluids, and perhaps pipe if the well to be immediately connected to a local pipeline rather than have tanks on site. All of these things are generally brought in via rail to a transload location. By BNSF's accounts, each drilling rig will go through a little more than 20 railcars of material per month, so with approximately 180-200 rigs active in the Williston Basin of late, there are thousands of additional railcars per month that were not present a few years ago.

Back to pipelines, the Enbridge Sandpiper Pipeline is looking extremely likely to be built. Marathon Petroleum has committed to be the primary user of the line, there has been relatively little local opposition, and Enbridge masterfully designed a route that both optimizes the speed with which the line can be built as well as avoids federal land. The maximum capacity of the pipeline will be 225,000 barrels of oil per day out of North Dakota, or approximately 3-4 loaded unit trains of oil. The completion date is being planned for 2016.

Isn't one of the problems with Keystone viz-a-viz ND oil that Keystone as envisaged runs north to south, whereas the main axis of ND oil flow is west to east? That is why the Enbridge Sandpiper pipelin makes way more sense for ND than Keystone, or so I had been give the impression by articles that I read on the subject, and of course that understanding could be wrong.

Flopping subject matters again.

Amtrak has on roster 108 Superliners Sleeping cars at 80% available, 86 of those cars are ready to roll. However only 82 are need for daily service. To add a six train set (Empire Builder) you need 4. 3 for pax, one for crew.

Dinner cars are 42 on roster at 80% available, 33 are ready to roll. If the report is correct about The Capital Limited running a CCC then only 30 cars are in service.

TransDorm are just not available. 41 roster, at 80% only 32 available, however 35 in daily service.

Superliner Lounge cars 44 on roster at 80% there 35 available with 35 needed daily. If you can't squeeze the shop for one then use a Snack Coach.

Coach cars are a headache, but you only need 3 Coach and one Bagged-Coach. With a set of Superliners getting use year round in Midwest service, I see more arm twisting but the coach cars are available.

In short the equipment is ready to be deployed for the sixth set of equipment. Sure it a short term fix, but since BNSF is going to be having issues for years. Lets get it done.

Source is Fan based. Donctor's list of equipment here at AU. Rolling stock roster at On-Track-On-Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back