Empire Builder and Chicago Commuter Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1865

Train Attendant
My wife and I regularly ride Empire Builder to Chicago and transfer there. Our experience shows metro commuter trains in and around northern Chicago cause some - though not all - Empire Builder delays into Chicago. When our schedule allows, we plan arrival into Chicago on a weekend: preferably Sunday. On weekends fewer metro commuter trains ride the same rails. Remember, Empire Builder does not have priority on the rails, even over metro commuter trains. Good luck!

It's Metra (not metro).

It's true that there are a lot fewer trains on weekends. However, I'll take exception to the statement that the Empire Builder doesn't have priority. The Empire Builder has basically the same level of priority as any of the commuter trains. It's just that when there are only two tracks, and one track is stuffed full of outbound rush hour trains, there is absolutely nowhere for the Builder to go except to get down the rail as quickly as possible, and once it catches up to the next Metra, follow it in.

This is not a problem if the Builder is on time or close to it, but when it's an hour or two late getting to Rondout, that puts it right in the middle of the PM rush hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back