Elimination of diners on western Amtrak long distance trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak has not removed the dining cars from the Lake Shore Limited or Capitol Limited and those are now reserved exclusively for the sleeping car passengers. When I rode the Capitol Limited, the sleeping car attendant filled out a menu order card and we then took that to the dining car where the dining car attendant filled our orders and we could take them back to our rooms or, as I did, find a table in the dining car to eat. Since there were so many tables available there was not much community seating going on, but all the people eating were conversing with others from other tables. It was a pleasant atmosphere. So the coach passengers are not coming into the sleeping car"dining" lounge.

Actually, I have often wondered, how what proportion of Coach passengers actually sit in the cafe while consuming their food. In all my days of traveling by Coach, when I was not rich enough to be able to afford Sleepers in any way, shape or form, as I recall, I seldom sat in the Cafe to eat. Mostly it was at my seat. Now I could be an odd one. But somehow I don't think so. I am yet to see an over crowded lounge even on the Silver Star!

So I am not willing to buy the argument about Lounge crowding by Coach passengers just on its face value. It would be nice to see some real statistics.
Maybe it's not about being in coach vs sleeper but about whether you are travelling alone versus in a group.

It's a bit like checking into a hotel on business versus doing so with family or friends.

In the former case I might ask room service to bring me something to eat, or just buy some sandwiches in a shop and eat them by mself in my room. If I'm with people I will go to a sit down restaurant and probably spend all evening there, ordering extras just so we can keep on talking.

Actually, I have often wondered, how what proportion of Coach passengers actually sit in the cafe while consuming their food. In all my days of traveling by Coach, when I was not rich enough to be able to afford Sleepers in any way, shape or form, as I recall, I seldom sat in the Cafe to eat. Mostly it was at my seat. Now I could be an odd one. But somehow I don't think so. I am yet to see an over crowded lounge even on the Silver Star!

So I am not willing to buy the argument about Lounge crowding by Coach passengers just on its face value. It would be nice to see some real statistics.
Maybe it's not about being in coach vs sleeper but about whether you are travelling alone versus in a group.

It's a bit like checking into a hotel on business versus doing so with family or friends.

In the former case I might ask room service to bring me something to eat, or just buy some sandwiches in a shop and eat them by mself in my room. If I'm with people I will go to a sit down restaurant and probably spend all evening there, ordering extras just so we can keep on talking.

How would the ambience in V-II diner be better than that of an Amfleet Lounge? Personally, I don't see any difference at all.

How would the ambience in V-II diner be better than that of an Amfleet Lounge? Personally, I don't see any difference at all.
More space, double row of windows so more light, nice frosted glass, stainless steel trim, LED lighting on the walls and ceiling. It's just a nice place to be.

Amfleet II Lounge:

0322-AMFLEET-LOUNGE-CAR.jpg

Viewliner II diner:

Amtrak%20Crescent.jpg_11532455_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What a difference! All of my sleeping car LD train travel has been on western routes, so I've never seen a Viewliner dining car. Is this the kind of DC on the Crescent?

Also, speaking of differences and features of dining cars: I find the booths in the dining car section of the Cross Country diners on the CONO very awkward. The booth's seats are so far away from the table that I have to sit on the edge of the seat to eat. And I am not a skinny Minnie! I could literally wear my backpack and fit just right. Very uncomfortable.

Wow! What a difference! All of my sleeping car LD train travel has been on western routes, so I've never seen a Viewliner dining car. Is this the kind of DC on the Crescent?
Yes. These cars are now on the Meteor, the Crescent and the Lake Shore. On the Lake Shore only Sleeper passengers have access to this car as it is used as the Sleeper lounge.

Yes. These cars are now on the Meteor, the Crescent and the Lake Shore. On the Lake Shore only Sleeper passengers have access to this care as it is used as the Sleeper lounge.
Thanks. I may just have to arrange an overnight turnaround trip to experience something different, while still possible.

I just took Am Airlines first class from Florida to Dallas and Dallas to Jackson Wyoming. Lunchtime food was excellent and service even better. I still fly to a west coast city at the end of my vacation and take Amtrak back across country. I think we are on our last legs for now. Ill keep writing however and be hopeful.
I just took UA First Class from Atlanta to Denver and had less leg room than when I used to fly coach (Last 1st class was 3 years ago. Last coach was 6).

I just looked up the SWC from KC to Fullerton, CA for 2019 and the sleeper fare was $500!!! If I'm just going to be eating cold sandwiches, I expect that price to cut in half!!
Half sounds a bit extreme...
Yeah, I agre. No more than 40%.
default_mosking.gif

I don't think many here have been to Japan, but there's a technology there in warming up boxed meals. I think it involves some exothermic reaction with Calcium Oxide (I forget exactly). Anyway, you pull a string, the two substances come together in a separate compartment under the food, they react and form heat, and it heats up your food! I heard one of the substances was illegal here, but if that can be changed, that'd be a good option to getting a hot, scrumptious meal in a box; however high quality the cold box meals are, it's just not the same experience as a hot meal.
MREs 2.0?

Yes. These cars are now on the Meteor, the Crescent and the Lake Shore. On the Lake Shore only Sleeper passengers have access to this care as it is used as the Sleeper lounge.
Thanks. I may just have to arrange an overnight turnaround trip to experience something different, while still possible.
While they are indeed very nice, and I understand why you want to experience one, I would not that the V-II diners themselves aren't going to leave service anytime soon. Whether or not any of them are still offering proper dining service is another story...

Maybe what I did on the last CZ trip might become a norm, especially in a world of cell phones: but at Grand Junction, the day before, arranged with restaurants for meals (lunches), and a food delivery service... and had Mexican waiting for me on the platform going one way; and Chinese going the other way.... and I suspect such is possible for any station that there is an open platform and a more than 1 minute stop. ... I suspect there is a business model to be had here, a la, Fred Harvey of yesteryear - just instead of feeding a train in 20 mins, to take orders before coming into a station, onloading them at the station and distributing them after underway again... if you've ridden the Indian rails, this is the norm - and works quite well.
Interesting. I also recall someone I knew once did(per a suggestion by an Amtrak employee) order food from Matey's bar in Michigan City, IN(as it's across the street from the Amtrak station), and had that food ready for pick up when the train arrived into the Mich City station. With all the(I fear) downgrades Amtrak is doing to dining cars, I'm starting to wonder if this strategy might be the best way to counter the lack of not so good food on certain routes?

I do recall reading Grand Junction had some sort of convenience store that was attached to its Amtrak station, that riders on the CA Zephyr often note in their trip reports. And that allegedly, El Paso and Albuquerque sometimes have food vendors that sell food right on the Amtrak platform, and would theoretically work well for those extended stops.

Sorry... Im still confused. There were no kosher items on the previous menu. So what's the complaint?

Will Amtrak still provide kosher meals upon request to passengers on the CL / LSL?
Supposedly, yes I read somewhere around the time of the June 1st dining car downgrades that kosher meals would still be available upon an ADVANCE request to Amtrak before you rode your train. Not sure how you'd make that request in advance, maybe via emailing Amtrak or calling 1-800-USA-Rail? I'm not sure....
Sorry... Im still confused. There were no kosher items on the previous menu. So what's the complaint?

Will Amtrak still provide kosher meals upon request to passengers on the CL / LSL?

From Amtrak's website:

Special menu selections, such as kosher meals are available on most overnight trains with 72-hour advanced notice. Vegan meals are available on the regular menu for Long Distance trains and do not require advance notice. Both vegan and kosher meals are available with 24-hour advanced notice for Acela Express First Class service. Vegetarian meals do not require advance notice.
To reserve your meal, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). TTY service is available at 1-800-523-6590.

During Passover, thy use Kosher for Passover meals...

I cannot, and will not eat pre packaged food that has zero input from me on what it contained. I am allergic to ingredients in mayo and miracle whip, and it's generics, do not like the taste of mustard, and do not like many of the things put on generic sandwiches. Like tomato, onions, etc. Onions give me indigestion. That is why I like Subway. I get what I want. I order burgers dry, with only lettuce added at Burger joints.

Having what someone else has decided that I want as my sole choice for food for over 24 hours on a train would be unacceptable. Especially if I am paying for it as part of my sleeper cost.

From Amtrak's website:

Special menu selections, such as kosher meals are available on most overnight trains with 72-hour advanced notice. Vegan meals are available on the regular menu for Long Distance trains and do not require advance notice. Both vegan and kosher meals are available with 24-hour advanced notice for Acela Express First Class service. Vegetarian meals do not require advance notice.

To reserve your meal, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). TTY service is available at 1-800-523-6590.

During Passover, thy use Kosher for Passover meals...
They said "most overnight trains", which doesn't guarantee that they do so on the CL and LSL. I'm also pretty sure a few members had called to ask about that and were told that they don't have any special options at this time. Could just be misremembering, but I would swear that's the consensus given out by USA-RAIL CSRs.

Obviously they need to give themselves wiggle room in re 66/67...but if they can't put together a kosher meal basket? That's just stupid. For frak's sake, at least for that just grab one from the Acela food pool and call it a day.

The posts in this thread about the stationary Rock Island lounge and diner in Chicago reminded me of a stationary Milwaukee Road lounge car I visited in Milwaukee about 20 years ago that served drinks and snacks.

Anybody lnow if they are still in business?

Can't answer that, sorry. There are many former railroad cars being used around the country as bars, restaurants, or hotel rooms.

What made the Rock Island operation completely unique, was that they were actually being operated by the railroad, in an active station, using real railroad employees, and menu's. The cars could also be used on trains, if needed.
default_cool.png

IIRC, by the time of that operation in the '70's, The Rock did not have any diner's left in service, on its two remaining intercity trains, The Quad City Rocket, and The Peoria Rocket.

Those trains did contain a parlor, sometimes dome, lounge car, but IIRC, it was operated by a private company...DePorter-Butterworth Tours...

If they eliminate the diners, Amtrak should return to the Fred Harvey wayhouses. We visited one In Belen, NM a while back, and were met by a nice lady who used to be house mother for the Fred Harvey Girls.

Tables were set and ready for arrival, train stops, everybody off, 45 minutes to eat, off we go. Of course, at that time the trains arrived on time...

There's a Bed & Breakfast Inn in the Amana Colonies in Iowa where the train would stop overnight for the travellers to bunk, men in one room, women in another. Maybe Anderson should eliminate the sleepers, too.

I don't think there has been any proposal to eliminate Diners. What has been flying around is proposals to radically modify how food is served, and to whom, in the Dining Cars, not elimination of all food service altogether. At least not yet.

Tables were set and ready for arrival, train stops, everybody off, 45 minutes to eat, off we go. Of course, at that time the trains arrived on time...
I think that should be the law. A long distance train without an on-board diner, would be required to stop once every 4 hours, for 45 to 60 minutes, at a food station (ie restaurant) so that passengers can enjoy a meal.

I think that should be the law. A long distance train without an on-board diner, would be required to stop once every 4 hours, for 45 to 60 minutes, at a food station (ie restaurant) so that passengers can enjoy a meal.
Well that's going to take a while.

Back