Electronic Ticket Scanning Pilot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My ticket wasn't lifted until onboard the SWC in CHI and until onboard the Pere Marquette heading to GRR. When I first read this the first thing that came to mind was Amtrak upgrading their android and iPhone apps to allow you to "download" the ticket right to the screen, sikilar to what you can do at starbucks when buying something, they just scan your phone and done.

[i've had the conductor lift my ticket while waiting for the CS in the Traxx lounge at LAUS and also while waiting to board the SWC in the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI. :)
Yes, I've had that too, but that doesn't always happen (at least in the case of Chicago) and that is sleeper passengers only. Coach tickets are still collected onboard meaning no scanners plugged into the station.
Back in 2007 I had my coach Ticket lifted before I boarded 421 the TE at chicago. It was before you got to the platforms.

When I first read this the first thing that came to mind was Amtrak upgrading their android and iPhone apps to allow you to "download" the ticket right to the screen, sikilar to what you can do at starbucks when buying something, they just scan your phone and done.
Even the Deutsche Bahn system mentioned above won't do that. It requires a paper print out to be scanned, at least as of a week ago.

Yeah, the whole phone-scanning thing is still in the very early stages even for airports. I won't fault Amtrak for waiting a year or two for the airlines and phone companies to work out the bugs on that one. The first TSA guy I got had no idea how it worked so I basically had to figure it out myself and it kinda slowed things down. Only one line had a reader and it was picky about orientation and such. The auto-orientation that most smart phones use really confused it. It seems there must be a better way, but I'm not sure what exactly that will be until more people test it out.

I've had coach tickets lifted in the station at Denver and Tucson.

Anyway, for whatever reason Amtrak hasn't wanted to go for a some stations only plan. For one thing, that would mean investing in station-based terminals while developing a parallel onboard system. Given Amtrak's tight budget, the money invested in the stations could be considered wasted once the onboard solution was online.

It sure would save on paper, not to mention how could you loose your ticket if it's right there on your phone? Oh well I can dream lol
You could lose (not loose) your phone.
Stupid swype. I was on my phone at the time of writing that and didn't catch it. lol

The much more likely problem isn't losing your phone so much as your phone losing its charge. Same difference so far as the scanner is concerned.

True...but I guess in that case I would make sure to have my phone charged if my ticket is on it...just like if I have a paper ticket I do everything I can to keep that sucker safe, at least until the conductor has lifted it (then I keep my stub safe if I wanna travel off the train). I know one time after our stop in Albuquerque, I was getting back on the train but picked a different coach car because where my seat was, there were a ton of people boarding. An Amtrak employee stopped me and I just showed the stub and he immediately understood that I was just trying to bypass the line of people boarding at ABQ.

It sure would save on paper, not to mention how could you loose your ticket if it's right there on your phone? Oh well I can dream lol
At least as far as the DB and ÖBB systems are concerned, you can print out as many tickets as you want and stuff them in each pocket and in each slot in each suitcase. If that fails, you can still print out your ticket at any time as long as you can find internet access and a printer.

Before a recent Salzburg to Berlin trip I printed out 2 and gave my wife one. Against all odds, she lost hers (she claims I lost it); but I didn't loose mine. :unsure:

just saw a conductor use an iphone and additional device to scan tickets on the northeast extension today (PHL to NYC)...anyone else noticing this? is it still just testing?

just saw a conductor use an iphone and additional device to scan tickets on the northeast extension today (PHL to NYC)...anyone else noticing this? is it still just testing?
Still in testing.

But NJCoastExp had his ticket scanned on a Regional on Sunday. So clearly things are moving forward.

Still in testing.

But NJCoastExp had his ticket scanned on a Regional on Sunday. So clearly things are moving forward.
I didn't get scanned on 143. Just got the good ole' fold and rip. Guy didn't even punch it.. I am not a fan of conductors that do that. If you have to send your stub into AGR. Which you should never have to do.. They need a punch. If there's no punch it could mean I just collected the tickets at the quik trak and ripped off the stub..

I didn't get scanned on 143. Just got the good ole' fold and rip. Guy didn't even punch it.. I am not a fan of conductors that do that. If you have to send your stub into AGR. Which you should never have to do.. They need a punch. If there's no punch it could mean I just collected the tickets at the quik trak and ripped off the stub..
In my experience, AGR does not care whether or not the ticket is punched. I doubt they can even see it if you're faxing it in. I've submitted unpunched tickets several times and never heard a word about it.

In my experience, AGR does not care whether or not the ticket is punched. I doubt they can even see it if you're faxing it in. I've submitted unpunched tickets several times and never heard a word about it.
Correct, AGR cares that you have a ticket and that you can't turn it in for a refund. And without the stub, no agent will issue a refund. Or perhaps I should say, no agent should issue a refund without the stub.

And one should never mail in the actual stub, as that is your only proof. And at least in the past with the old company, AGR was good at losing things. Always mail or fax a copy; never send the actual stub!

I took a Keystone round trip today - PHL-HAR-PHL - and my ticket was scanned outbound on #609. Being the inquisitive guy I am, I quiped, "Ah, scanner, huh?" The conductor kind of grunted. He told be it was to get the crews used to the things before they go live, but right now it just means double work. Lets just say he was not enthusiastic. Coming back, no scan.

I took a Keystone round trip today - PHL-HAR-PHL - and my ticket was scanned outbound on #609. Being the inquisitive guy I am, I quiped, "Ah, scanner, huh?" The conductor kind of grunted. He told be it was to get the crews used to the things before they go live, but right now it just means double work. Lets just say he was not enthusiastic. Coming back, no scan.
Are they scanning the barcode on the main ticket and taking the main ticket?

Are they scanning the barcode on the main ticket and taking the main ticket?
Yes, The scanners can read both the conventional barcode on today's ticket, and the QR code on the e-ticket docs. He took the ticket, punched it as usual, return the stub, and then scanned the main ticket before storing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back