El Paso, Tx Info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
I am researching for my next years trip. Since the prices on the Southwest Chief have gone so high, I am looking at other options. One of them is to drive to El Paso and catch the Texas Eagle to Chicago. For four people in two roomettes it is almost $300 cheaper for that trip than to go Lamy-Chicago on the Southwest Chief.

Looking at Google maps, it shows lots of parking around the El Paso station. Does anyone know if that is overnight parking? If not, do you know where we can park for a week?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am researching fro my next years trip. Since the prices on the Southwest Chief have gone so high, I am looking at other options. One of them is to drive to El Paso and catch the Texas Eagle to Chicago. For four people in two roomettes it is almost $300 cheaper for that trip than to go Lamy-Chicago on the Southwest Chief. Looking at Google maps, it shows lots of parking around the El Paso station. Does anyone know if that is overnight parking? If not, do you know where we can park for a week?
No, overnight parking is not allowed at the El Paso, Texas station. If you approach the El Paso station parking lot signs will indicate that cars parked overnight will be towed.

Being a manned station, I would think the agent at ELP would have info on that, if you can call them direct.

I had the same questtion about Flagstaff 3 or 4 years ago, and somehow I got the local station Phone #, but I can't remember if I got it from Amtrak or had to go through the "back door" like the local Chamber of Commerce.

I just called them again last seek to verify the city-owned lot was still available for long-term Amtrak pax (it is). Amtrak just does not make the local phone numbers easily available, and the webisite is very ambiguous as to long-term parking, for these small town stations.

Being a manned station, I would think the agent at ELP would have info on that, if you can call them direct.

I had the same questtion about Flagstaff 3 or 4 years ago, and somehow I got the local station Phone #, but I can't remember if I got it from Amtrak or had to go through the "back door" like the local Chamber of Commerce.

I just called them again last seek to verify the city-owned lot was still available for long-term Amtrak pax (it is). Amtrak just does not make the local phone numbers easily available, and the webisite is very ambiguous as to long-term parking, for these small town stations.
Yellow Pages give a number for Amtrak El Paso -

(915) 545-2247.

I used to live 30 minutes from the El Paso station in southern NM. I would be hesitant to leave my car there as it is so easy to steal it and take it across the border.

What about calling the Deming police and ask about leaving your car there (or is that too far to drive)? Often small town departments will be willing to check on your car periodically. I did that at the Jessup, GA station - called the cops and asked them to periodically drive by the station where my car was parked.

The El Paso airport is on the other side of town so you'd have to pay to park then get yourself to the station.

Check this site:

http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/1_civic_center_plaza_el_paso/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yellow Pages give a number for Amtrak El Paso -

(915) 545-2247.

Got Julie at that number and this is supposedly during station hours.
Unfortunately, in my experience the smaller manned stations (are you listening, Houston?) often transfer their phones to "Julie" and then leave them transferred. I've never yet been able to speak to a human at my local station unless I go there in person.

I just called El Paso Civic Center parking in El Paso and they charge $6.50 per night to park. If anyone knows of a location nearby that is more reasonable, please let me know.

I just called El Paso Civic Center parking in El Paso and they charge $6.50 per night to park. If anyone knows of a location nearby that is more reasonable, please let me know.
You might want to call some hotels near the station. Often they will let you park in their lot for a small fee or even free. If you are staying at the hotel pre/post it is usually not a problem.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back