EB or CZ to Chicago?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Train Attendant
I live right inbetween Fargo and Omaha, so either station is an option for Amtrak travel. I'll be heading to NJ in July and am trying to decide which route will give me the bet chance to make my connecting train in Chicago. Right now, it seems like the EB is running really late consistently. Any advice? I know I could be late on ether route, but I'm trying to hedge my bets...

Last edited by a moderator:
The CZ is also running late into CHI all the time. I would take the EB just because it is my favourite, but in the end it is your choice. I think you probably live around Sioux City, right? Because that is right in between FAr and OMA.

edit: error

Zephyr's probably safer, all things being equal. The schedule has the Zephyr coming in an hour earlier than the Builder.

Overall? That's a bit tougher. I've never been on either train, but the Builder's route from Fargo to Chicago seems more scenic than Zephyr's from Omaha to Chicago. However, I know that Omaha's station has free overnight parking (I have no idea about Fargo), and if you're equidistant from both (Sioux Falls or Brookings, I assume?), the Zephyr arrives into Omaha at around 5 AM, versus the Builder's 2 AM arrival into Fargo. (Coming back, the Zephyr arrives into Omaha at around 11 PM, and the Builder into Fargo around 3:30 AM.)

However, have you though about driving to Minneapolis and boarding there? 7:50 AM departure to Chicago, 10:30 PM arrival back? It shouldn't be too much farther to drive to Minneapolis, there's free parking there (until they move to St. Paul Union Depot in early 2013, that is), and it's generally regarded as a key station (so there's more staffing there, the train is there for an extended period of time, and if you're taking a sleeper, there's a separate waiting area.)

The CZ is also running late into CHi all the time. I would take the EB just because it is my favourite, but in the end it is your choice. I think you probably live around Sioux City, right? Because that is right in between FAr and OMA.
A bit further north, I'm guessing (as mentioned above). Sioux City is just under two hours from Omaha, but over four to Fargo, even if you drive straight through.

EDIT: If, by chance, you are in Sioux City, I'd advise taking the Zephyr. I don't think that the extra two hour drive each way is worth it for the Builder, especially considering the timing into Fargo (and even Minneapolis.)

If you are looking at scenery, take the Empire Builder. While I think the California Zephyr is overall more scenic than the Empire Builder to the west coast... FAR-CHI on #8/28 is a lot more scenic vs. OMA-CHI on #6. You will enjoy views of the Mississippi River and the Driftless Region of Wisconsin.

The other thing to consider is time... #8/28 into FAR is in the wee hours of the overnight. #6 into OMA is early too, but not as bad as #8/28.

And as far as connections/misconnections... you probably have an even shot of making/missing your connecting train on #6 and #8... they have been equally as bad so far this summer. Or just leave a day early and plan an overnight in CHI and enjoy the city if you are worried about it.

It also should be noted that Amtrak will take care of you if you miss a guaranteed connection. They'll more than likely do one of three things:

1. Have your connecting train wait for you.

2. Bus you to a point where you can connect with your train.

3. Pay for a hotel and give you a stipend and put you on the next day's train.

Note that #3 is quite possible, especially if it's an extended delay. In that case, if you had a sleeper, it's unlikely that you'll get a sleeper on the next day's train, as sleeper rooms are often sold out. If this happens, they'll also refund you the difference between coach fare and sleeper fare.

In April I took the EB to Seattle, drove the Oregon coast to San Francisco and took the CZ back to Chicago. I was a little disappointed in the condition of the roomette on the CZ, as well as the service. There was actually duct tape holding up parts of the heater/ac fan on the ceiling, in looking in other roomettes I saw the same. And the sleeper attendant did the "disappearing act" thing some of them do.

I guess I liked the scenery a little better on the CZ, but overall I liked the EB better. (In September will be making the round trip solely on the EB.) The EB was on time arriving in Seattle, the CZ 2 hours late arriving in Chicago.

I've always heard the EB uses the newest cars and the best staff.....I guess I found that out for myself. In the Spring I'll be giving the CZ a chance to redeem itself as I'll be going to L.A. on the SC and returning on the CZ.

In April I took the EB to Seattle, drove the Oregon coast to San Francisco and took the CZ back to Chicago. I was a little disappointed in the condition of the roomette on the CZ, as well as the service. There was actually duct tape holding up parts of the heater/ac fan on the ceiling, in looking in other roomettes I saw the same. And the sleeper attendant did the "disappearing act" thing some of them do.

I guess I liked the scenery a little better on the CZ, but overall I liked the EB better. (In September will be making the round trip solely on the EB.) The EB was on time arriving in Seattle, the CZ 2 hours late arriving in Chicago.

I've always heard the EB uses the newest cars and the best staff.....I guess I found that out for myself. In the Spring I'll be giving the CZ a chance to redeem itself as I'll be going to L.A. on the SC and returning on the CZ.
Overall, I think the average service on Builder is better than the Zephyr, but Amtrak service is always YMMV. You are just playing the odds a bit, the chances of getting a rotten attendant are a bit less on Builder than the Zephyr, but rotten attendants are out there on both at times. I've had lousy service on the Starlight and the Builder and great service on the Zephyr and vice-versa. My luck has been overall better on the Starlight and Builder, but that is far from a guarantee.

The best crews I've ever had were the two times I rode the Sunset. So go figure.

I'd chose based on the route and scenery, rather than on which may have better service. There really is no way to reliably predict that because, unfortunately, service quality is always something of a crapshoot on Amtrak.

I've ridden the CZ before, but not the EB. I'll be using AGR points to book the trip (sleeper), and I'll be traveling w/an eight-year-old.my primary consideration is making the connection, but I know that's never a given. Sigh.

Driving to Minneapolis would take 4+ hours. Fargo is 2.5 and Omaha is about 3. The overnight idea would be more attractive if the CL left in the morning ;-)

What to do?

I've ridden the CZ before, but not the EB. I'll be using AGR points to book the trip (sleeper), and I'll be traveling w/an eight-year-old.my primary consideration is making the connection, but I know that's never a given. Sigh.

Driving to Minneapolis would take 4+ hours. Fargo is 2.5 and Omaha is about 3. The overnight idea would be more attractive if the CL left in the morning ;-)

What to do?
Honestly, it's about a horse a piece between Fargo and Omaha. I'd say go with whichever would be easier on the eight-year-old: driving to Omaha between 1:30 and 4:30 am (and back from 11:30 pm to 2:30 am) or driving to Fargo between 11:30 pm and 2:00 am up there and back between 4:00 am and 6:30 am.

What to do?
What about Brookings, SD? That seems about right.

The overnight idea would be more attractive if the CL left in the morning ;-)
What to do?
If you're going to New Jersey, why use the Capitol Limited?

Book the Lake Shore Limited to NY instead. The odds of making your connection in Chicago go up considerably with the Lake Shore, which leaves 3 and a half hours after the Capitol Limited does. Still not a 100% guarantee that you'll make the connection, but the odds go way up!

And from NY you can either catch NJ Transit to where you need to be in NJ or transfer to an Amtrak corridor train.

I would second the LSL idea. Note that you can cancel if you have not picked up your tickets. If going to Trenton or Newark, you can also rider the Cardinal for a one-seat ride, but it's slower than the other trains.

Yep, I'm thinking the LSL might be the way to go, at least on the way out. I can easily take NJ Transit from Penn Station (final destination is Berkeley Heights). I do like that the later LSL departure increases the odds of actually making the connection.

Hawkeye,

While of course no one, not even Amtrak can actually guarantee that you will make the same day connection, the odds definitely go up with the Lake Shore. A couple of years ago when I took the EB back from the west coast to Chicago, we started out late due to problems with the diner. We never made up that nearly 2 hour late start and we added to that deficit along the way.

I won't deny that it caused some anxious moments for me. But my connection was to the LSL and we made that with an hour to spare. But all those with reservations to the Capitol were out of luck and either booked onto the LSL if that made sense, or sent to a hotel room for the night.

It's always going to be a gamble with connections in Chicago, but I would recommend at least stacking the deck in your favor.

Well, we're booked! Doing the EB/LSL on the way out and the NEC/CL/EB on the way home - that way we get to spend a little time in DC before we head back :) Thanks for the suggestions and advice! Hopefully, the trip goes well and we make all of our connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back