EB - Lateness Problems This Summer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok now my cheerful roll with the punches demeanor is gone. They finally just got everyone over here - 5 hours later. I don't get lunch and then we finally got dinner and they wre half portions with no bread, salad or dessert.

Now our crew just timed out and we have to wait for a new one to come from god knows where. I am hungry and cranky.
been there, done that. too bad what this is doing to your trip

I just got a call from Amtrak stating "Service Interuption" Alternate transportation is being provide over some or all of the 27(19) route between Spkoane and Portland, been trying to call the 1-877 number provided, no luck yet, so this means that there will be no train service then between Spokane and Portland, right? And Does this mean there will be a bus, like if I can't get a hold of the, should I just go to the station in the morning and expect a bus to be there, or what?

That means there should be a bus available, yes. And if it's anything like what happened to me last year, when the EB from Spokane to Seattle was very late, the alternative bus for those wishing to make it to Seattle on time left precisely at the time the train was supposed to. I wanted to take a 5 1/2 hour late train rather than the bus, and the Amtrak representative I talked to on the phone couldn't understand it. If I'd wanted to take a bus to Seattle, I'd have caught the Thruway bus that has a stop right in front of my apartment. I guess it boggled her mind I wanted to take the train just to be taking the train, no matter how late it was. :cool: Besides, I got to see views west of Spokane I'd never seen in the daylight, not that I haven't seen such scenes 1000000s of times before. But I would keep trying the 1-877 number until I got ahold of someone.

I just got a call from Amtrak stating "Service Interuption" Alternate transportation is being provide over some or all of the 27(19) route between Spkoane and Portland, been trying to call the 1-877 number provided, no luck yet, so this means that there will be no train service then between Spokane and Portland, right? And Does this mean there will be a bus, like if I can't get a hold of the, should I just go to the station in the morning and expect a bus to be there, or what?
There will be an on-time bus departing Spokane at 2:45AM, making all train #27's normal stops.

Additionally, connecting buses have already been arranged for all passengers detraining in SPK for all points West. Right now, my best guess on that train's ETA is 9:00AM or later.

Ok now my cheerful roll with the punches demeanor is gone. They finally just got everyone over here - 5 hours later. I don't get lunch and then we finally got dinner and they wre half portions with no bread, salad or dessert.

Now our crew just timed out and we have to wait for a new one to come from god knows where. I am hungry and cranky.
been there, done that. too bad what this is doing to your trip
Jeez! I can't believe this train is still sitting there. I'm finding out the busing has had some significant problems. I'm sorry folks, I wish I could do more.

Last edited by a moderator:
EB_OBS the best thing would be if we cPul just get some food. I don't understand why they couldn't bring in some subs or something. I am just still starving after dinner so that doesn't really help the situation. If I had known we were going to half portion I would have happily bought some food in Glasgow.

I appreciate your helpfulness in posting updates. Now we are underway, having left WPT 28 hours late. Now I am super worried about that LSL connection tomorrow. Plus I booked two separate reservations so I don't know if anyone knows about our connection when they consider arrangements for pax. I don't know if we will be able to make up any time en route but I guess as long as we don't lose time we might be OK.

There will be an on-time bus departing Spokane at 2:45AM, making all train #27's normal stops.

Additionally, connecting buses have already been arranged for all passengers detraining in SPK for all points West. Right now, my best guess on that train's ETA is 9:00AM or later.
So, should I continue to try and call the 877 number, I have been on hold for an hour and a half each time I have tried before hanging up, or should I just arrive at the station tommorrow morning.

EB_OBS the best thing would be if we cPul just get some food. I don't understand why they couldn't bring in some subs or something. I am just still starving after dinner so that doesn't really help the situation. If I had known we were going to half portion I would have happily bought some food in Glasgow.

I appreciate your helpfulness in posting updates. Now we are underway, having left WPT 28 hours late. Now I am super worried about that LSL connection tomorrow. Plus I booked two separate reservations so I don't know if anyone knows about our connection when they consider arrangements for pax. I don't know if we will be able to make up any time en route but I guess as long as we don't lose time we might be OK.

Huge props to my sCA who just brought us two more chicken dinners from the diner. He is getting a nice tip.

This has been a very bad week for the EB. Now I see the westbound #7, which left CHI on time and was doing just fine into WI has experienced a service disruption between Tomah, WI and LaCrosse!! Good grief. Can it get much worse? Does anyone know what is causing this train's disruption?

Hopefully the BNSF folks will have the tracks back in operation momentarily in Eastern MT.

:-(

This has been a very bad week for the EB. Now I see the westbound #7, which left CHI on time and was doing just fine into WI has experienced a service disruption between Tomah, WI and LaCrosse!! Good grief. Can it get much worse? Does anyone know what is causing this train's disruption?

Hopefully the BNSF folks will have the tracks back in operation momentarily in Eastern MT.

Not sure why the Map is showing SD, Check the Amtrak App on my phone and it shows It has arrived MSP 8 min late, and left on time (11:15).

Not sure why the Map is showing SD, Check the Amtrak App on my phone and it shows It has arrived MSP 8 min late, and left on time (11:15).
Whew--glad this looks like it's just an "electronic" malfunction this time! Thanks.

Is there anyway to get an updated ETA into CHi on my very late EB? I am now estimating we are 29 hours back and tryin to decide if I should call AGR and snag a room on the 20th. Looks like some are still available.

Whew--glad this looks like it's just an "electronic" malfunction this time! Thanks.
As of now, it's due to be into Rugby about an hour late.

The Amtrak app. Usually more accurate than the map. I haven't checked mine yet! And you accused me of getting off the train in TOH last night and taking it with me. LOL It's all the map's fault!

Is there anyway to get an updated ETA into CHi on my very late EB? I am now estimating we are 29 hours back and tryin to decide if I should call AGR and snag a room on the 20th. Looks like some are still available.
It's more like 29.5 hours late out of Fargo. You're still a long way from Chicago, and any ETA would simply be guesswork. Is there track work in Wisconsin today? Is the CP dispatcher going to put you in the hole for a coal train? Is there congestion between your location and St. Paul that would delay you? No one, absolutely no one, can tell you when your train will arrive in Chicago. There is a truism though; a late train only gets later.

If I were you I'd call AGR. I'd rather spend a day in Chicago and be sure that I had a sleeper for the rest of my trip than either a) be worried down to the wire about whether I'm going to make my connection b) miss the connection and make the next leg in coach.

Yeah I called AGR and they assured me we were due into CHI at 7:30 tonight. So that sounds like more misinformation. Gahhh. She encouraged me to keep my original reservation for tonight's LSL. Does the train ever make up time between Fargo and CHI?

Ack, sorry you are having such a rough trip! If you do end up on the Friday LSL, we'll have to look each other up :) we are on the CZ tomorrow morning and then the LSL. I'll be the one with the excited 8-year-old boy.

As I have a September round trip reserved on the EB, I've been watching the lateness stats. Today it appears it will be over 8 hours late (YIKES!) which means in will arrive at Union Station after midnight. Will there be anyone at the station that late to hand out hotel vouchers for us who miss our connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back