EB Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carolyn boersma

I am taking the train from Holland MI to Chicago, and transferring to the Empire Builder to Bingen WA and back. I am not worried about the connection going WB as there are quite a few hours in between and I have taken the train from Holland to chicago before, and even when it was terribly delayed by an accident up the tracks, it still would have connected on time. On the return trip however, it is only like a 90 minute connection. Amtrak assures me that it should not be a problem, but I added an extra day off from work just in case! ;-) Does anyone know what the on-time record is EB on the Empire Builder? If I miss the connection, Amtrak says they will either bus us, or put us up for the night. What has been your experience with missed connections?

Am not really worried- like I said I just added a day off for a buffer, but like to at least have an idea in my head 'just in case'

Thanks!

The Empire builder tends to be one of Amtrak's most reliable long-distance trains in terms of OTP (lately, the City of New Orleans has been #1, but the Empire Builder is often 2nd or 3rd).

Even when the train is "late," it's usually not late by more than an hour or so. There's about 20 minutes of schedule padding into MKE and an additional 15-20 minutes into CHI, so if you're 2 hours late leaving Columbus, WI, there's still a chance you might make your connection.

Depending on how many people are making the connection from the Empire Builder to the Pere Marquette, Amtrak might charter a bus, or they might put you up in a hotel for the night.

Back