EB delays decreasing? trackwork getting completed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train 7/27 is terminating in SPK.

#8(24) is expected to depart SPK on-time @ 11/25/13 1:30am
Read first ask questions later, thanks and sorry, reading back this is clairvoyance that tomorrow's train will sit in Spokane and leave on time ( 24ish) hours from now. And by sit I mean turn quick by the time it finally gets there. ( and by clairvoyance I mean intelligence.)

Put in terms of schedule. Right now that 7/27 will arrive in SPK sometime around 7AM tomorrow (local time). If they split the train like usual and went on then 7 would arrive in SEA and PDX around 5PM tomorrow. That's after they are scheduled to be cleaned and turned, so they would leave late.

Now it gets to cool its heels while

Train 7/27 is terminating in SPK.

#8(24) is expected to depart SPK on-time @ 11/25/13 1:30am
Read first ask questions later, thanks and sorry, reading back this is clairvoyance that tomorrow's train will sit in Spokane and leave on time ( 24ish) hours from now. And by sit I mean turn quick by the time it finally gets there. ( and by clairvoyance I mean intelligence.)
It will get in around 7AM or so, and won't leave SPK until 1:30AM tomorrow.

When I was on the EB last December we were 8 hours late into MSP. That was largely not BNSF's fault, we lost 6 hours because the train couldn't get to Everett to load because a mudslide that occurred after the consist had left Seattle, and then lost another 2 hours on Stevens Pass due to downed trees. After Spokane, we didn't gain any time, but didn't lost any either, and BNSF handled it well.

Once on the CP, it was a entirely different story. We were put in the hole for EVERYTHING, we lost an additional 4 hours between MSP and CHI. I vote for CP dispatching as the reason it loses time once it gets out of MSP.
While we have all been talking about the ND/MT area lately, the EB has gained an hour at MSP only to loose it again on its way heading east towards red wing.

Not sure why it looses time in that area.

Stan
I was on the EB last week and we were delayed quite a while between MSP and RDW due to the fact CP could not get the bridge down in Hastings. They have trouble on occasion with that bridge. Also, switching troubles getting into the Pigs Eye yard just out of downtown St Paul to the east.

Looking at ALL of the Empire Builders this AM it has been a very rough weekend for this train. Every one is very late and getting later, with a turn for 7/27 in SPK as discussed as well. My BNSF guy has said they have had some intermittent "operational issues" on the Hi-Line, but he too was surprised with the amount of the delays for all of them. I hope this isn't a hint of what is to come for this winter's service--ouch!

:-(

Monday AM update: Hopefully #8 left SPK on time?? #7 in WA is over 5 hours behind--this is going to be a very late arrival in SEA some time mid PM and most likely a late departure this evening. #8 in MN this AM is also well over 5 hours behind, so most connections will be missed in CHI when it finally arrives late tonight. Just a real mess all around this past weekend. And we haven't even gotten into winter yet on the Hi-line!

:-(

I have been watching these tonight, (been up all night) I saw a "flash" of 2 trains one in SEA and one in PDX (this is all on online traker, if i could see a train i would be on it :) ) This was at 1AM CST this morning. I also saw another "starting circle dot" of an Empire builer #8 starting up in SPK about 2 hours ago, but way before the westbound would have arrived. I dunno, what that means, just keeping Amtrak on schedule over here with my traker! :giggle:

EDIT, the 2 trains I saw on the trakker, in PDX and SEA, were circle dots, looking like a starting train heading east, and they both showed a schedule heading to Spokane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's 8 departed Whitefish 31 minutes late. I'm following it on the Amtrak iphone app. It did leave SPK on time.

I have been watching these tonight, (been up all night) I saw a "flash" of 2 trains one in SEA and one in PDX (this is all on online traker, if i could see a train i would be on it :) ) This was at 1AM CST this morning. I also saw another "starting circle dot" of an Empire builer #8 starting up in SPK about 2 hours ago, but way before the westbound would have arrived. I dunno, what that means, just keeping Amtrak on schedule over here with my traker! :giggle:

EDIT, the 2 trains I saw on the trakker, in PDX and SEA, were circle dots, looking like a starting train heading east, and they both showed a schedule heading to Spokane.
Buddy, if you see a "train" leaving SEA or PDX on the tracker and you know it's a bustitution (because the arriving train never made it past Spokane), what you are seeing IS the bustitution, not a train.

Buddy, if you see a "train" leaving SEA or PDX on the tracker and you know it's a bustitution (because the arriving train never made it past Spokane), what you are seeing IS the bustitution, not a train.
That what I was afraid of (for those people) So why does the "dot" show up, I thought the trakker was some sort of GPS device in the locomotive. Please correct me. :)

It would have to be the busses, since #7/27 were halted in SPK. Let's hope today's #8 in MT makes better progress. I am concerned about #7 chugging along in eastern WA this AM. Over 4 hours late. This will cause a late #8 departure, which should mean the entire run will likely be another very late arrival in CHI in a couple days. Meanwhile #8 in western MN is now about 6 hours behind-best guess for arrival in CHI tonight may be after 10 PM-again, likely missing every connection. We shall see. It was definitely not a good performance weekend for the trains on the Hi-Line.

Both the GPS on the amtrak.com tracker and the status updates on the iphone app both stopped updating. The last status on amtrak.com was just having departed WGL heading east at 45 MPH and it's been stuck on that for about an hour now.

EDIT: It's back reporting, Must be that the GPS doesn't work through the park, like any other technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back