EATING WHEN YOU BOARD?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmorris56

Train Attendant
Hi Again,

Thank you for your answers to yesterdays questions. That being said I forgot one. I'm sure I'll find more as time goes by but hopefully not to many. I am just curious, but since we board the EB around 2:00 p.m. will we be served lunch or

should we eat before we board. Well since my memory is working on a 24 hour delay you may just get to answer another question tomorrow. Thanks again. talk to you soon. Maybe 24 hrs.

Hi Again,Thank you for your answers to yesterdays questions. That being said I forgot one. I'm sure I'll find more as time goes by but hopefully not to many. I am just curious, but since we board the EB around 2:00 p.m. will we be served lunch or

should we eat before we board. Well since my memory is working on a 24 hour delay you may just get to answer another question tomorrow. Thanks again. talk to you soon. Maybe 24 hrs.
The first meal served westbound is dinner. Eat before you board. If you want to eat in the station, I recommend a hot dog at Gold Coast Dogs.

Hi Again,Thank you for your answers to yesterdays questions. That being said I forgot one. I'm sure I'll find more as time goes by but hopefully not to many. I am just curious, but since we board the EB around 2:00 p.m. will we be served lunch or

The first meal served westbound is dinner. Eat before you board. If you want to eat in the station, I recommend a hot dog at Gold Coast Dogs.
you wont get lunch upon boarding. i second gold coast for a quick and easy meal inside the train station.

If you get to the station early enough, get checked into the lounge to leave your luggage, then walk down Jackson a block to Lou Mitchell's for lunch. Great place.

If you get to the station early enough, get checked into the lounge to leave your luggage, then walk down Jackson a block to Lou Mitchell's for lunch. Great place.
Is it still cash only here and no dinner? Last time I was there they closed early and didn't take credit cards but great food! :)
Jim - their menu on line has this at the bottom of the last page:WE REGRET WE CANNOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS OR PERSONAL CHECKS.

And, they are only open for breakfast and lunch! Great brunch on Sundays.

Lou Mitchell's is a great place to eat. Close to the station, yet you'll get to stretch your legs and get some fresh air before boarding and you won't leave hungry. Still cash only and they close at 3pm.

Looks great for me but my wife is vegan and I don't see anything (or very little) on Lou's menu that she can eat.

Looks great for me but my wife is vegan and I don't see anything (or very little) on Lou's menu that she can eat.
I know that this is such a transgression that it might get me banned from AU for life, maybe even eternity.

Right across the street from Chicago Union Station at the southwest corner of Clinton and Jackson is a new location of one of the best non-deep dish (it is also on the menu and fantastic) pizza restaurants in the Chicago area. www.beggarspizza.com

Beggars is at 547 W Jackson. If you walk from the Amtrak area to the Great Hall turn left and walk across the hall diagonally and out the door cross Jackson then Clinton St's and you will find fantastic pizza. Plain cheese is usually available by the slice but if choose to wait pizzas in many kind of vegetable combinations will be made fresh for you.

So farewell to those of you that I have had the please to meet and those with whom it has just been an online meeting. I know that the cathedral of pizza for AU that shall be unnamed by me has been insulted, and if it should be that I am doomed to wander about cyberspace for eternity thus be it.

:huh: :eek: :huh:

Have you contacted Amtrak about this? While there is always one "vegetarian" option on the menu on Amtrak trains it is very rarely (if ever) vegan. I'm sure Amtrak staff will do anything they can but there is very little they can do once the journey is under way. If you call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL at least 72 hours in advance they may be able to make special accomodations.

I know that this is such a transgression that it might get me banned from AU for life, maybe even eternity.

Right across the street from Chicago Union Station at the southwest corner of Clinton and Jackson is a new location of one of the best non-deep dish (it is also on the menu and fantastic) pizza restaurants in the Chicago area. www.beggarspizza.com

Beggars is at 547 W Jackson. If you walk from the Amtrak area to the Great Hall turn left and walk across the hall diagonally and out the door cross Jackson then Clinton St's and you will find fantastic pizza. Plain cheese is usually available by the slice but if choose to wait pizzas in many kind of vegetable combinations will be made fresh for you.

So farewell to those of you that I have had the please to meet and those with whom it has just been an online meeting. I know that the cathedral of pizza for AU that shall be unnamed by me has been insulted, and if it should be that I am doomed to wander about cyberspace for eternity thus be it.

As a life-long Chicagoan, I avoid deep dish pizza like the plague. Give me some good thin crust, the thinner the better. I'm not a big fan of Beggars, but I don't think there's an Aurelio's near Union Station that I can send out-of-town AU folks to, so Beggars will have to do. Oldtimer2, it looks like we'll have to find a new place to talk Amtrak, for I'm sure the the AU masses will now drive us out with pitchforks.

By the way, 547 W. Jackson, is the old Burlington Railroad heaquaters, now the main office of Metra, Chicago's commuter rail system.

<--- Snipped ---->

Yup, that did it. You're now a member of the PizzaBan group. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look under your name to the left of your posts. :)

MikefromCrete, you're in that group too, although your last post was made as a guest, so it won't show. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. The PizzaBan group comes with all the same rights and priviledges as the Member's group. It just means that you can't share pizza with the rest of us. Which might actually be a benefit. :eek: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. The PizzaBan group comes with all the same rights and priviledges as the Member's group. It just means that you can't share pizza with the rest of us. Which might actually be a benefit. :eek: :lol: :lol:
Hey - we shared our pizza with Oldtimer in CUS last October at the Pre-Gathering Gathering.

Hey - we shared our pizza with Oldtimer in CUS last October at the Pre-Gathering Gathering.
Aloha

Yes we did, and what was frightening we had 2 Union members at the same table, and no meeting or argument. A secial Aloha Al.

Mahalo

Eric

:lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are so funny!!! I was sitting here, reading your posts about the best pizza place, & hubby walks in the room, and says "Can you eat pizza? I want to try the new DOMINOS sauce!!!" Probably because I warmed up some chicken with parmesan & romano cheese on top!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: So I guess I'll be under the "pizza ban" too. We don't have a lot of good pizza choices here......

:lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are so funny!!! I was sitting here, reading your posts about the best pizza place, & hubby walks in the room, and says "Can you eat pizza? I want to try the new DOMINOS sauce!!!" Probably because I warmed up some chicken with parmesan & romano cheese on top!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: So I guess I'll be under the "pizza ban" too. We don't have a lot of good pizza choices here......
Sunchaser, I think you only get "pizzabanned" if don't eat Giordano's pizza when you can Since you can't get Giardano's now you can eat Domino's - if you can ;)

Sunchaser, I think you only get "pizzabanned" if don't eat Giordano's pizza when you can Since you can't get Giardano's now you can eat Domino's - if you can ;)
I guess I'm safe whew!!!! I was so worried!! :lol: It is unlikely that I'll make it out there to eat either pizza anytime soon.... Don't know if I could get hubby on the train to go out there.... :unsure:

Hubby decided against pizza after all-he's going to have fish instead!

I guess I'm safe whew!!!! I was so worried!! :lol: It is unlikely that I'll make it out there to eat either pizza anytime soon.... Don't know if I could get hubby on the train to go out there.... :unsure:

You can order Giordano's online and they will ship it to you anywhere in the country.

You can order Giordano's online and they will ship it to you anywhere in the country.
Yes, but will it arrive hot, fresh, and within an hour? :lol: I think the delivery fee would be enormous!!! :lol:

I've tried the new Domino's pizza. I like it. It's much better than old Domino's. It's not my favorite pizza, but I am much more likely to order it now. (And their online pizza tracker is mesmeric.)

Aloha

Hey if Giardano's will deliver to me you can have anywhere. We even had their Delivery Service at CUS, for the mini gathering in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back