E-Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eVouchers can ONLY be used at a ticket window.
Well that stinks. Since the closet station to me is four hours away. Hopefully they will get that fixed soon. The wording on the page implies there will be other options eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere does it say you are not allowed to print and have multiple copies...
That's actually one of the best parts of the entire system, the fact that you can have multiple copies just in case. And even if you lose everything, the conductor can still look up your reservation now on his phone and still check you in after you provide suitable ID to prove that it's really you.
Another best part was that I had my ticket <15 minutes after ordering it, unlike with the old mailed paper tickets (I live nowhere near a manned station...) that you could wait 2 weeks or more for.

If the e-ticketing works smoothly when it comes to boarding, it will be FANTASTIC. So much easier than the old way.

Has anyone had any luck calling to ask them to convert a phone reservation made before the eticket system was active (that I was supposed to pick up at a quick track) into an eticket?

I love the idea of etickets. I was able to get an eticket for an old reservation I made online, but just wanted to know if I could get them to give me an eticket for an old reservation i made via phone.

Thanks!

Has anyone had any luck calling to ask them to convert a phone reservation made before the eticket system was active (that I was supposed to pick up at a quick track) into an eticket?

I love the idea of etickets. I was able to get an eticket for an old reservation I made online, but just wanted to know if I could get them to give me an eticket for an old reservation i made via phone.

Thanks!
Yes, they should be able to do that for you via phone. As you have already stated, it is very easy to get the e-ticket document for a reservation you made online.

Thanks!
If you already paid for the reservation, the agent would have to refund it, then book a new reservation at the now-prevailing price. so, probably a bad idea.

Thanks!
If you already paid for the reservation, the agent would have to refund it, then book a new reservation at the now-prevailing price. so, probably a bad idea.
I don't think this is the case, because all of the reservations seem to have been converted to e-tickets. Even if you go to the ticket window to get tickets for something reserved prior to July 30, the agent prints out an eticket boarding document/pass. That makes me think that it should be as easy as the phone agent sending you an email with teh boarding document attached without having to rebook the ticket.

Thanks!
I don't think this is the case, because all of the reservations seem to have been converted to e-tickets. Even if you go to the ticket window to get tickets for something reserved prior to July 30, the agent prints out an eticket boarding document/pass. That makes me think that it should be as easy as the phone agent sending you an email with teh boarding document attached without having to rebook the ticket.
That is my understanding as well. Regardless, it is worth a phone call to ask.

printman2000 said:
1345644312[/url]' post='388786']
amamba said:
1345643750[/url]' post='388783']eVouchers can ONLY be used at a ticket window.
Well that stinks. Since the closet station to me is four hours away. Hopefully they will get that fixed soon. The wording on the page implies there will be other options eventually.
Not very "e-" of Amtrak where you have to be at a station to make it work IYAM.

Thanks!
The official communications on this topic have been numerous and conflicting -- so it certainly can't hurt to call and try to have the agent email you a travel document, but no promises.

Thanks!

Might be slightly different for AGR, but I made a redemption by phone a little before etickets went live. I had to change it after they went live, and I got an eticket document automatically after that phone call. It took slightly longer to get to me compared to a different reservation, where I had the reservation summary email before hanging up, but it still got to me without going the cancel and rebook route.

Prolly been posted already (didn't re-read all 14 pages in thread) but when I made a rez on Cap from BWI to TOL, thence on to ARB, Via Thruway Bus Conx, the e-ticket was NOT an option.
Apparently the following are still true:

(1) If you have any leg of your trip which is not e-ticket-ready, all your tickets will be paper stored-value tickets

(2) Most Thruway buses are not e-ticket ready.

I am not sure which Thruway connections are e-ticket ready. Certain "Amtrak California" buses are. Amtrak has promised e-Ticketing for the rest of the *California* Thruway connections by later this year, but I have heard of no date for the rest of the Thruway buses.

I don't know about NJT's Atlantic City Line, for that matter, which is technically a "Thruway connection" in Amtrak's system.

You don't get AGR points for riding NJT on the ACY Line using an Amtrak issued ticket. NJT does not handle Amtrak e-Tickets either. It has to be a paper ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just on the CS from SJC to OXN (a nice little weekend getaway) and I became concerned after reaching SLO that no conductor had been by to scan my eticket. I mentioned this to George (my SCA) at SLO and he told me that some crews just ask the SCA if everyone on the manifest got onboard at each stop and then have a way of entering that info into the system.

I guess that might work with the sleeper pax but maybe not so easily in coach.

I don't have an email telling me that my return leg has been canceled because I was a 'no-show' on my out-bound segment so I'm hoping that George was right. :)

I was just on the CS from SJC to OXN (a nice little weekend getaway) and I became concerned after reaching SLO that no conductor had been by to scan my eticket. I mentioned this to George (my SCA) at SLO and he told me that some crews just ask the SCA if everyone on the manifest got onboard at each stop and then have a way of entering that info into the system.

I guess that might work with the sleeper pax but maybe not so easily in coach.

I don't have an email telling me that my return leg has been canceled because I was a 'no-show' on my out-bound segment so I'm hoping that George was right. :)
Ah, that's interesting. I didn't get my ticket scanned in the sleeper from GPK to SEA the other week. The SCA looked at my printout, but that was it. Since it was the return leg of a round-trip, I didn't have to worry about getting my reservation cancelled, but my AGR points didn't post until I submitted the "missing points" form on the website, after which they showed up the next day. It seems like the system isn't totally reliable yet.

If your worried about your ticket having not been scanned you can always stop at a QuikTrak Machine, insert your AGR or credit card and it will issue an updated itinerary with only your remaining segments on it, assuming your ticket has been scanned. If your ticket hasn't been scanned I assume it won't list your reservation or have an error message. (I done some complex multi-city trips on eTickets and have been found by the conductors fine each time, no problems).

For yesterday's return the conductor stopped by my room as we started rolling out of Oxnard and said "Do you have your ticket?". When I pulled the folded printout out of my pocket he said "Eticket?", I said "yes" and then he says "Hold on..." while thumbing his device. Then he said "To San Jose, right?". "Yup". "I gotcha". He never scanned the eticket printout. I guess that they each do whatever seems the most efficient to them. I have seen some conductors on the CC struggle to make the scanner part work so that may be part of the problem.

I'm halfway though my first trip with a E-ticket. Most passenger I have seen have used the e-ticket printed on old ticket stock from the Q-trck.

About a week ago I was to board the Texas Eagle in Fort Worth and get to use my very first e-ticket. I had planned on having a printout but forgot it at home so I just had my iPhone to present. A conductor asked me for my ticket on the platform before the train even pulled in (must be a crew change point). I presented the QR code on my iPhone but she saw that and just asked my name. Never scanned it, just checked us in by name.

I guess some conductors are finding it easier to look up the name instead of scanning.

Just completed a CHI-GJT round trip on the CZ, on the way out I used the QT machine to spit out something tanagible that the conductor scanned in our room. For the trip back the conductor scanned my iPhone in the station. Both processes went equally well.

So, are all reservations now "e-ticketed"? Making rez for the Eagle for a short trip to LVW on Thanksgiving, and would rather use the QT to print out something tangible for my records.......

All trains and some select busses are eTicket now, but you can still print eTicket documents at the Quik-Trak - Just Wednesday I printed off all my eTickets for my October travels cuz I was at a Quik-Trak anyway.

So, are all reservations now "e-ticketed"? Making rez for the Eagle for a short trip to LVW on Thanksgiving, and would rather use the QT to print out something tangible for my records.......
Thanks Misty. So I can just do as before? Get a barcode emailed to me to read at the QT?

To get the barcode that would scan at the Quik-Trak, I would think you'd have to go into your Amtrak.com account and print from the reservation there - I pull my reservations up by swiping my AGR membership card when I activate the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back