Downeaster discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember in the early 2000s the Downeaster went right into downtown Portland and then a shuttle bus picked you up and drove you around the city.. cheap.

Why can’t Amtrak stop where it’s currently stops and then go downtown and drop off passengers there!!!

At the current Portland station - I felt it very difficult to get ground transportation, such as a shuttle bus and a taxi. The taxi itself cost over $20, which was more than the deal of the fare for the Amtrak DownEaster.
Very sorry about that. I meant 2000s.

I’m wearing my Sandy River Rangely Lakes RR Tee shirt so I it may have brought back in time because I was thinking about posting something regarding timetables of yesteryear.- 1900s .1880s

Otherwise, the only regularly scheduled passenger rail service in Maine in the 1980s and '90s was the VIA Atlantic except when it was suspended from November 1981 till June 1985. Going anywhere to the south required driving to the MBTA railheads at Haverhill, Ipswich or Lowell, which I did many times in that era, or driving west to the Montrealer line.
There was also the short lived Maine Coast RR operation out of Wiscasset in the 1990s.

I'm not sure why they would need to spend all the effort and $$$ to try to shoehorn a station into downtown Portland. As others have said, it's very convenient having the connections with the buses, and there's lots of parking at the sire, too, which is essential for a station that probably serves mostly passengers coming from suburban and rural areas. The location is also an easy drive from the airport (where one can get rental cars) and the Turnpike. While a $20 taxi fare seems stiff, perhaps Uber or Lyft are cheaper, but, in any event, wherever the station is located, taxi rides to somewhere will be expensive. What if the station were downtown, and I needed to get somewhere in the suburbs. The current site is conveniently located near I-295 and fairly close to downtown. I know there's a city bus that goes downtown, but I'm not sure of the frequency when the trains are running. Again, I think most passengers aren't riding transit to or from the final or originating destination, but rather getting dropped off/picked up or just parking and riding. Perhpas they should think about doing some transit-oriented development around the station, though I'm not sure who owns the property around it, and they could ensure that there's frequent shuttle bus service into the downtown/old Port neighborhoods. I would also think that some of the downtown hoteels may offer shuttles, just as they offer shuttles to the airport.

I agree about not building an Amtrak station in downtown Portland.

I just did a test Lyft booking from the Portland Amtrak station to the Hilton Garden Inn on the waterfront.

At 10:25 this morning, it is $9.99 coming within 15 minutes (or $8.99 wait and save within 25 minutes).

Plus the map shows several Lyft cars in the area.

So that seems to be an available and reasonable option.

It’s not like you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere with no way to get downtown.

I'm not sure why they would need to spend all the effort and $$$ to try to shoehorn a station into downtown Portland. As others have said, it's very convenient having the connections with the buses, and there's lots of parking at the sire, too, which is essential for a station that probably serves mostly passengers coming from suburban and rural areas. The location is also an easy drive from the airport (where one can get rental cars) and the Turnpike. While a $20 taxi fare seems stiff, perhaps Uber or Lyft are cheaper, but, in any event, wherever the station is located, taxi rides to somewhere will be expensive. What if the station were downtown, and I needed to get somewhere in the suburbs. The current site is conveniently located near I-295 and fairly close to downtown. I know there's a city bus that goes downtown, but I'm not sure of the frequency when the trains are running. Again, I think most passengers aren't riding transit to or from the final or originating destination, but rather getting dropped off/picked up or just parking and riding. Perhpas they should think about doing some transit-oriented development around the station, though I'm not sure who owns the property around it, and they could ensure that there's frequent shuttle bus service into the downtown/old Port neighborhoods. I would also think that some of the downtown hoteels may offer shuttles, just as they offer shuttles to the airport.
Just curious, where was the old Portland depot in ,say, the 1930's?

Portland Union Station was on St. Johns Street near where it crosses Congress Street. The station location adjacent to the old and landmark Maine Central Railroad Office Building IIRC, is occupied by the Union Station Plaza Shopping Center. Getting to it from Boston or Brunswick does not involve any awkward backup moves. Maine DOT apparently has endorsed moving the station to that location.

Here is the Wikipedia page on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Portland,_Maine)
Most surprisingly, it is not even all that far from the Portland Transportation Center, and all trains to Brunswick apparently go right past that location!

Last edited:
I think the upside of the old Union Station site is that when you cross St. John Street from there, the development pattern becomes much more compact and urban. So you could walk into the downtown from there, though it would be a hike to most things, and it's basically on the opposite side of downtown from the more tourist-oriented area near the waterfront. The current PTC location is entirely scaled to cars, so it's not easy to walk anywhere from there other than to the parking lots.

If you could get rid of the shopping plaza, there might be room for bus bays and some parking as well as train platforms along the main line.

Orr even more recent 2002?

I usually tip Lyft drivers 30 to 50 percent. Smaller rides get bigger tips. Doesn’t bigger tips flag you?

Being the first time through Portland I didn’t get any help and did feel alone. So taxi was $20 plus tip so $46 RT. Nice hotel $80 ha ha. Waited 45min for Lyft then I was dropped with minutes to go. Had a nice stay..

Portland Union Station was on St. John Sr
Portland Union Station was on St. Johns Street near where it crosses Congress Street. The station location adjacent to the old and landmark Maine Central Railroad Office Building IIRC, is occupied by the Union Station Plaza Shopping Center. Getting to it from Boston or Brunswick does not involve any awkward backup moves. Maine DOT apparently has endorse moving the station to that location.

Most surprisingly, it is not even all that far from the Portland Transportation Center, and all trains to Brunswick apparently go right past that location!
The Portland Union Station location is about a ten minute walk from the present Portland Transportation Center.

I should also note that the present Portland Transportation Center is about a 5 minute walk to the Clarion Hotel which makes the Clarion very convenient place to stay. My wife and I have stayed at the Clarion and walked to the Transportation Center many times.

If Maine DOT has endorsed the Downeaster moving from the Portland Transportation Center they must be solely looking at the situation from the perspective of rail service and are missing the big picture.

I think the upside of the old Union Station site is that when you cross St. John Street from there, the development pattern becomes much more compact and urban. So you could walk into the downtown from there, though it would be a hike to most things, and it's basically on the opposite side of downtown from the more tourist-oriented area near the waterfront. The current PTC location is entirely scaled to cars, so it's not easy to walk anywhere from there other than to the parking lots.

If you could get rid of the shopping plaza, there might be room for bus bays and some parking as well as train platforms along the main line.

Yeah. the old Grand Trunk station was on the waterfront at India Street. The problem with having any station in the downtown area is that it is on a peninsula and it is hard to have a run through station there. Of necessity it will be a terminus station like the GTW station was, and will involve backup moves. Of course that might become a moot issue with the double headed Airos used to run the service. Also the more you go to downtown the more difficult it becomes to adequately serve the automobile based clientele.

Portland Union Station was on St. Johns Street near where it crosses Congress Street. The station location adjacent to the old and landmark Maine Central Railroad Office Building IIRC, is occupied by the Union Station Plaza Shopping Center. Getting to it from Boston or Brunswick does not involve any awkward backup moves. Maine DOT apparently has endorsed moving the station to that location.

Thanks Jis. I was then just past the old site last month when I traveled to Brunswick from Penn Station in Newark.

Yeah. the old Grand Trunk station was on the waterfront at India Street. The problem with having any station in the downtown area is that it is on a peninsula and it is hard to have a run through station there. Of necessity it will be a terminus station like the GTW station was, and will involve backup moves. Of course that might become a moot issue with the double headed Airos used to run the service. Also the more you go to downtown the more difficult it becomes to adequately serve the automobile based clientele.
IIRC, that site is near where visiting cruise ships make their port of call…?

IIRC, that site is near where visiting cruise ships make their port of call…?
That is correct. The Grand Trunk office building was beside the Grand Trunk station. The office building is still standing but has a new owner. The ticket office of the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum is also in that area.

And speaking of the Downeaster, here I am doing a Boston North/Brunswick round trip just for the heck of it. I've done Old Orchard, Portland and Freeport round day trips, and one way to Brunswick, but never the full loop. Just a tiny pile of points and I'm in Business Class enjoying my free diet Pepsi.

We're about 40 minutes late because the signals were drowned in the deluge yesterday, but back up to speed approaching Portland. Looking forward to the infamous Y. The good news is that the same equipment returns from Brunswick, so I don't need to worry about missing my return.

And speaking of the Downeaster, here I am doing a Boston North/Brunswick round trip just for the heck of it. I've done Old Orchard, Portland and Freeport round day trips, and one way to Brunswick, but never the full loop. Just a tiny pile of points and I'm in Business Class enjoying my free diet Pepsi.

We're about 40 minutes late because the signals were drowned in the deluge yesterday, but back up to speed approaching Portland. Looking forward to the infamous Y. The good news is that the same equipment returns from Brunswick, so I don't need to worry about missing my return.
There really is no Wye. From Boston you go straight into the station, and then back out of the station onto the main line and proceed forward north.

In the reverse (southbound) direction, you back into the station and depart forward.

And an amazingly fast turn in Brunswick. I don't think the train was stopped 10 minutes. Got off, walked the length of the platform and back, and jumped right back on the same business class car. New crew, though.

They barely had time to turn the business class seats around. In the coaches, half the seats face each way, commuter-rail style.

I could only get business class to Dover (about 2 hours) and then coach from Dover to Boston North. If I nurse a coffee maybe they'll let me sit in the cafe.

DOWNEASTER FLASH SALE $12 EACH WAY.

One little trick to booking - is use yourself as an adult and not a senior. The coupon code is V244. This saves the agent a little bit of work, trying to find the flash code fare. My agent somehow knew that I was a senior and tried to book it that way, and then just happened to find that the adult fare worked.

I am planning to go to either Portland or Brunswick. Hopefully to see some snow!

I notice in some print publications that Byrnes Irish Pub advertises that its Brunswick location is "at the Amtrack Train Station" and that customers can "Take the Train or Bus Direct to our Brunswick Pub!" They also have a location in Bath, Maine.

Downeaster passengers to Brunswick may wish to take note. I have not eaten or drank there so maybe someone can give us a review.

https://byrnesirishpub.com/

The French Onion Ssoip was very good and the burgers are fine. It’s on the Brunswick train platform. $$

The 165 was where I stayed and the kitchen was being renovated. Open now but call $$$$.

Sandwich shop near the station was good. Lots of Bowdoin kids.. Bowdon College Arctic Museum a must - call it might be renovated.. College has an art museum too.

Brunswick has taxi and Lyft best to schedule.

I notice in some print publications that Byrnes Irish Pub advertises that its Brunswick location is "at the Amtrack Train Station" and that customers can "Take the Train or Bus Direct to our Brunswick Pub!" They also have a location in Bath, Maine.

Downeaster passengers to Brunswick may wish to take note. I have not eaten or drank there so maybe someone can give us a review.

https://byrnesirishpub.com/
1704151704849.png

Thinking of a trip to Boston this summer, with a day trip to Seashore Trolley Museum. Looks like Saco & Wells are the 2 closest Downeaster stations. Anyone had experience with Uber or Lyft in the area?

There's an Enterprise location probably within pickup distance of Saco, but cars run $80 a day.

Thx.
Also, I’m done with Enterprise. I prefer Hertz now. Except for some airports Enterprise won’t allow drop off after hours. 8A to 5P only and rates are better at Hertz.

Also, I’m done with Enterprise. I prefer Hertz now. Except for some airports Enterprise won’t allow drop off after hours. 8A to 5P only and rates are better at Hertz.
I think most Enterprise locations still pick up & drop off. But it's been at least 5 years since I last rented a car. Most of my recent travel has been to urban areas, where riding the transit is one of my objectives.

Anyhow, they're the only one I found around there. (I haven't looked very hard yet.)

Back