Down stairs luggage rack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going from memory, I believe that the door you see to the left might actually be the special items storage area. But again, I'm not 100% sure as I really didn't pay all that much attention to precisely what it looked like. I do know that it was closest to the end of the car, but I don't recall which end of the car either.

The area that you are looking for is a small (3 1/2 feet wide X the width if the car) found on the "B" end of the car. (coach, coach-baggage, and sleeper only) It is sometimes mislabeled or not labeled.

In printmans photo you are seeing the "A" end equipment room which contains the potable water tanks, the water heater, the waste treatment system, and a 10 or 12 ton airconditioning/heating system. Definitly NOT a place where I would want my bags stored. The small door you see on the left is acess to the fresh air filters for the HVAC system.

Oldtimer
Thanks Al! :)

Like I said, I really hadn't paid that much attention to where it was, only that it wasn't the open door seen in the photo, since it wasn't close enough to the end of the car.

edit -

The relevant point I was trying to make is -- when the downstairs rack is overflowing and partly blocking the aisle - and the car attendant doesn't seem to care of even be there -- it's easy to negotiate with the other passengers - like - "I'll help you take your stuff upstairs just to clear the aisle and I'll help you do the reverse move too -- just to make it easier on all of us." Most of us passengers would welcome just a word to help solve a shared common problem - but too often nobody wants to speak first.
UK trains have a very small luggage storage area, and no checked luggage. Quite often there are lots of passengers trying to stand in the vestibule too. I agree, it's so worth speaking to the other passengers about it and rearranging to suit all. We were super squashed up on my last UK trip and less strong people were having to leave bags in the aisle until it was one big nightmare of bags and people. So a bunch of us called out luggage styles/colours and asked for destinations and then rearranged the whole pile. Worked brilliantly. At least until more people crammed themselves in at the next stop...

Going from memory, I believe that the door you see to the left might actually be the special items storage area. But again, I'm not 100% sure as I really didn't pay all that much attention to precisely what it looked like. I do know that it was closest to the end of the car, but I don't recall which end of the car either.

The area that you are looking for is a small (3 1/2 feet wide X the width if the car) found on the "B" end of the car. (coach, coach-baggage, and sleeper only) It is sometimes mislabeled or not labeled.

In printmans photo you are seeing the "A" end equipment room which contains the potable water tanks, the water heater, the waste treatment system, and a 10 or 12 ton airconditioning/heating system. Definitly NOT a place where I would want my bags stored. The small door you see on the left is acess to the fresh air filters for the HVAC system.

Oldtimer
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding. This is the answer. I've seen the "B" end locker labeled "equipment room" also, however, as Alan described it is simply a narrow locker the width of the train with doors on both sides. It's especially suited for skis.

In Raton, they don't have checked baggage, so I always have to use the luggage racks downstairs.

Sometimes there is room, sometimes not. When the rack is full the attendant has had me put it in the lower level seating area.

A few times I have had to lift my large bag onto the top rack, not easy when it's heavy and only once had a man help me, never an attendant(coach).
Totally off-topic - Wrong railroad - other continent - and a few decades ago - but --

Riding Bonn-Wien on DB and OBB - one couple returning to Bucharest had 12 big suitcases stashed wherever in the corridor and overhead and half blocking the aisle. They didn't demand help with what appeared to be their total worldly belongings. They offered us their sausages and onions to snack on, and note that that year (1984) they were going back to a place with fuel shortages and one of the coldest winters in Eastern Europe in the late 20th Century coming up.

But the one person who did confront me and demand that I assist her getting her luggage down from the overhead rack was a totally able 50-something German -- well - "Frau" would be too polite a word for her - and the luggage she demanded that I help her with was -- a hatbox that weighed less than a kilo :)

Takes all kind I guess

edit -

The relevant point I was trying to make is -- when the downstairs rack is overflowing and partly blocking the aisle - and the car attendant doesn't seem to care of even be there -- it's easy to negotiate with the other passengers - like - "I'll help you take your stuff upstairs just to clear the aisle and I'll help you do the reverse move too -- just to make it easier on all of us." Most of us passengers would welcome just a word to help solve a shared common problem - but too often nobody wants to speak first.

I know this is an older post, just saw this reply today as I am still :blink: debating on checking my luggage or not on my coming trip.

I see your point about asking other passengers, however, usually no one is right behind me, they are still getting a seat assignment. You do need to ask the attendant to solve the problem of no space on the luggage rack.

I feel people need to know, you need to be able to handle your own luggage on Amtrak if you decide to store it in the downstairs rack. The upper rack is rather high, so you need to be able to lift it up at least, head level?, if that is the only space available.

I have had to wait until the attendant has stepped on the train to ask where to put it if the rack is full. I move out of the way, I am not leaving my large bag out while taking my other bags upstairs to my seat. The attendant could be long gone by then.

On the Superliner sleepers, I have seen overflow luggage placed in Room H, the accessible bedroom. On Viewliner sleepers, it has been stored in the bathroom/shower for the roomettes. Granted, it is only occasionally, but it seems to be an odd solution.

On the Superliner sleepers, I have seen overflow luggage placed in Room H, the accessible bedroom. On Viewliner sleepers, it has been stored in the bathroom/shower for the roomettes. Granted, it is only occasionally, but it seems to be an odd solution.
Ive also seen bags stored in the lower level coach compartment.

Last trip on TE I was seated lower level coach.Racks were full, and wheel chair space was full.I saw a guy in stl boarding the next coach with his belongings contained in a large blanket with the corners tied,which he carried on his back.Since the next coach was the coach/baggage the option to use space in lower seating area was not an option.I can only guess where they stashed it.At Longview Tx the conductor was wadeing through the checked bags in the small baggage room trying to find the bags.The TE could use a regular baggage car or another coach/baggage.This is probably why Amtrak has new baggage rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back