Down stairs luggage rack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lteak

Train Attendant
I have quite a large suitcase and I plan to put it in the downstairs luggage rack rather than check it so I can access it. Is there a change that there wouldn't be room? Would I be asked to check it? I don't think it would fit in the rack above the coach seats.

It is available to you at all time, but is available to everyone else in the car too! There should be no problem, but still use common sense. Don't leave valuables like purses, wallets, cameras or computers there! I've never had any problem with bags left there, and I leave bags there every trip!

Where are you boarding? If you're boarding near the beginning of the route, there may be room. It's impossible to predict, though.

How large is this suitcase? If it's really large, you may consider packing a small bag (like a backpack) with your toiletries, pajamas, and a change of clothes and then checking the large bag.

There are limits for the size of carry-on bags; they are avaiable at the Amtrak website. The limits are rarely enforced, but you might be required to check if the bag is way way way over the limits.

I've boarded any number of western long-distance trains where the lower-level luggage rack was overflowing. If I were traveling from an intermediate stop, I would not expect there to be space on the rack. There might be, there might not be.

What lspolkom said. I've been on some LD SLEEPERS where the attendant asked me, "Hey, is it OK if we put your bag somewhere else?" (Apparently they have some kind of storage compartment on the sleeper cars that can be accessed from outside the train?) and they stuck it in there and pulled it off for me at my stop. I get on at a stop with no baggage service or else I'd check my suitcase...

Also, on one occasion I was told to take my big suitcase into my roomette as there was no room for it elsewhere. It made things a little bit tight....

I've boarded any number of western long-distance trains where the lower-level luggage rack was overflowing. If I were traveling from an intermediate stop, I would not expect there to be space on the rack. There might be, there might not be.
On my last trip a few days ago, there was absolutely NO space in the lower level racks, and I was even in a sleeper.

If the OP finds space in there, he could put a lock on his bag so that stuff does not get stolen, which is more likely in coach than sleeper.

(Apparently they have some kind of storage compartment on the sleeper cars that can be accessed from outside the train?)
Yes, there is. I saw it on my aforementioned trip, it was just above one of the trucks and was labeled Equipment Room. At a smoke stop, I got off and saw an attendant taking bags out of the room and passing them to some detraining passengers.

(Apparently they have some kind of storage compartment on the sleeper cars that can be accessed from outside the train?)
Yes, there is. I saw it on my aforementioned trip, it was just above one of the trucks and was labeled Equipment Room. At a smoke stop, I got off and saw an attendant taking bags out of the room and passing them to some detraining passengers.
I am pretty sure that is not what those rooms were intended for. That is where the equipment for the car is located like the plumbing.

I have quite a large suitcase and I plan to put it in the downstairs luggage rack rather than check it so I can access it. Is there a change that there wouldn't be room? Would I be asked to check it? I don't think it would fit in the rack above the coach seats.
As other posters have stated it will be a crap shoot whether there is available space on the coach luggage rack. If starting your trip at the beginning of the train route then you should be able to use a Redcap for early boarding and have no problem with finding luggage space.

If you happpen to start your trip midway of the route don't overlook the luggage rack inside the area where coach lower level seating is. Before the seating area there is a luggage rack along the wall. If all else fails, ask the Conductor or the Coach Attendant where you can put your suitcase.

I personally would check the luggage (you indicate that is an option) and have a carry-on bag with your essentials. Be sure to meet the requirements of checked luggage found HERE

When traveling through the Rockies in March, I noticed a family getting on in Glenwood Springs with skis and they stored them in a storage area accessible from the outside of the sleeper car. Never knew they were there until this trip. Are they only used for oversized objects or are they used for excess baggage, too?

That outside compartment is largely for oversized items like skis or golf clubs, and that is what that compartment was intended for. It was built/included in the plans for just that purpose.

Now I suppose that in a pinch, an attendant could well make use of it just to store excess luggage.

That outside compartment is largely for oversized items like skis or golf clubs, and that is what that compartment was intended for. It was built/included in the plans for just that purpose.

Now I suppose that in a pinch, an attendant could well make use of it just to store excess luggage.
You sure that is the same thing? He said it was labeled equip room. I thought there was another door for oversized stuff.

You sure that is the same thing? He said it was labeled equip room. I thought there was another door for oversized stuff.
It's been a few years since my suitcase rode "on the outside" (so to speak), but I'm pretty sure this was a dedicated storage compartment for oversize stuff (like someone suggested, golf clubs) and not the "equipment room."

In Raton, they don't have checked baggage, so I always have to use the luggage racks downstairs.

Sometimes there is room, sometimes not. When the rack is full the attendant has had me put it in the lower level seating area.

A few times I have had to lift my large bag onto the top rack, not easy when it's heavy and only once had a man help me, never an attendant(coach).

Yeah, it was Equipment Room, I'm sure of it, and the bags included a very large red roller and some others.

I was not questioning what you saw. I was questioning Alan about if there is another compartment meant for oversized items that is not labeled equipment room.

I have no idea what the door was labeled. Only saw that compartment opened once on the CZ in Reno. Never really paid that much attention to what the label says. Besides, it's probably not a good idea to actually advertise what's behind the door.

In Raton, they don't have checked baggage, so I always have to use the luggage racks downstairs.

Sometimes there is room, sometimes not. When the rack is full the attendant has had me put it in the lower level seating area.

A few times I have had to lift my large bag onto the top rack, not easy when it's heavy and only once had a man help me, never an attendant(coach).
Totally off-topic - Wrong railroad - other continent - and a few decades ago - but --

Riding Bonn-Wien on DB and OBB - one couple returning to Bucharest had 12 big suitcases stashed wherever in the corridor and overhead and half blocking the aisle. They didn't demand help with what appeared to be their total worldly belongings. They offered us their sausages and onions to snack on, and note that that year (1984) they were going back to a place with fuel shortages and one of the coldest winters in Eastern Europe in the late 20th Century coming up.

But the one person who did confront me and demand that I assist her getting her luggage down from the overhead rack was a totally able 50-something German -- well - "Frau" would be too polite a word for her - and the luggage she demanded that I help her with was -- a hatbox that weighed less than a kilo :)

Takes all kind I guess

edit -

The relevant point I was trying to make is -- when the downstairs rack is overflowing and partly blocking the aisle - and the car attendant doesn't seem to care of even be there -- it's easy to negotiate with the other passengers - like - "I'll help you take your stuff upstairs just to clear the aisle and I'll help you do the reverse move too -- just to make it easier on all of us." Most of us passengers would welcome just a word to help solve a shared common problem - but too often nobody wants to speak first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the room labeled Equipment room. It has a ladder that pops out and lots of equipment in it. Seems to me there are some other doors on a Superliner that perhaps were made for oversized items.

P1000595s.jpg

Going from memory, I believe that the door you see to the left might actually be the special items storage area. But again, I'm not 100% sure as I really didn't pay all that much attention to precisely what it looked like. I do know that it was closest to the end of the car, but I don't recall which end of the car either.

Going from memory, I believe that the door you see to the left might actually be the special items storage area. But again, I'm not 100% sure as I really didn't pay all that much attention to precisely what it looked like. I do know that it was closest to the end of the car, but I don't recall which end of the car either.

The area that you are looking for is a small (3 1/2 feet wide X the width if the car) found on the "B" end of the car. (coach, coach-baggage, and sleeper only) It is sometimes mislabeled or not labeled.

In printmans photo you are seeing the "A" end equipment room which contains the potable water tanks, the water heater, the waste treatment system, and a 10 or 12 ton airconditioning/heating system. Definitly NOT a place where I would want my bags stored. The small door you see on the left is acess to the fresh air filters for the HVAC system.

Oldtimer

The area that you are looking for is a small (3 1/2 feet wide X the width if the car) found on the "B" end of the car. (coach, coach-baggage, and sleeper only) It is sometimes mislabeled or not labeled.

In printmans photo you are seeing the "A" end equipment room which contains the potable water tanks, the water heater, the waste treatment system, and a 10 or 12 ton airconditioning/heating system. Definitly NOT a place where I would want my bags stored. The small door you see on the left is acess to the fresh air filters for the HVAC system.

Oldtimer
It may have been mislabled Equipment Room, now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back