double days returning?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double Points - today through Nov. 14th!!! Time to register.

It says "limited to two one-way trips" per day.

If I take a round-trip to Battle Creek, is that considered two one-way trips?

It says "limited to two one-way trips" per day.

If I take a round-trip to Battle Creek, is that considered two one-way trips?
Sounds like it. As far as I can recall it's always been that way, where they'll give double points for the two biggest point segments for each calendar day. If I take two minimum point segments (same direction as a multicity) in one day, both segments get doubled.

Of course they don't double my Select bonus. That would be sweet if they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past, when they were for limited number of trips per day, they tended to just give it for the first x trips that they heard about through their system for the day. I don't know if that is still the case.

I always recall it being in segments, as in four segments. I think this is a recent change? Maybe?

Oh well. :) 400 points per day plus the card bonus is still pretty awesome. A round-trip to BC is about $15.

I always recall it being in segments, as in four segments. I think this is a recent change? Maybe?

Oh well. :) 400 points per day plus the card bonus is still pretty awesome. A round-trip to BC is about $15.
That's eligibility for minimum-point segments that accrue towards AGR tier points and regular point accrual. Since I've been enrolled in AGR, the Double Day promotion has always been capped at two doubled-point segments per calendar day.

Got email this morning - registered.

"Of course they don't double my Select bonus. That would be sweet if they did."

That would be cool since I finally made upgraded status.

In my opinion I would actually prefer Double TQP days.

It did use to be 2 ROUND TRIPS or 4 ONE WAY SEGMENTS per day. If you go from NYP to HFD, you need to take 2 different train numbers, connecting in NHV. Do you only earn 2X one way? :huh:
Yes, they now cap the bonus at two segments per day, you can ride four segments but the second two to post don't get a bonus. If you ride more than 4 individual segments in one day the 5th and later segments to post doesn't earn you any points at all.

This started in around the Fall of 2012 if I'm recalling correctly, before all four segments could be doubled and infact tripled the few times they did a triple points week. I went up to New Haven to 'do' all the stations between New Haven and Hartford and earned 1,200 points on only $23 of Amtrak spend, (plus $23 of Metro-North tickets to get me up to New Haven)!

It did use to be 2 ROUND TRIPS or 4 ONE WAY SEGMENTS per day. If you go from NYP to HFD, you need to take 2 different train numbers, connecting in NHV. Do you only earn 2X one way? :huh:
Yes, they now cap the bonus at two segments per day, you can ride four segments but the second two to post don't get a bonus. If you ride more than 4 individual segments in one day the 5th and later segments to post doesn't earn you any points at all.
I think that's the case only for minimum (100) point segments. I don't think there's a maximum number of segments that could post per day for points/tier bonus/TQP provided no more than four are minimum. For instance, I think I could probably do something locally like book a 4-segment multi-city from SAC-SJC to get 100 points each segment, then take the CS from SJC-SEA and get whatever that earns based on the price (starting at $164 [328 points] for tomorrow booked right now).

I've only posted a segment more than the minimum once - and that was a ride on the Keystone that cost me $52, and got me 104 points. I've also posted bigger numbers of points for 10-rides.

Hmmm... No one else has commented on the misleading advertising. The promo clearly states "All Routes, All Fall". Well, Autumn ends on 12/21, but the promotion ends a good 5 weeks earlier.

To me, "fall" ends on Thanksgiving since that's when we tend to get our first bit of snow. Thanksgiving is also the start of the Christmas season, which I associate with winter. Michigan doesn't follow the seasonal calendar. ;)

Hmmm... No one else has commented on the misleading advertising. The promo clearly states "All Routes, All Fall". Well, Autumn ends on 12/21, but the promotion ends a good 5 weeks earlier.
Plus Fall is 2 weeks away (from the start date of the promo).

I got 1312 DD extra points this time - the most ever! I considered on the last day (yesterday) to try out the new CSV-RVM bus to go on to NPN and NFK. It cannot be booked on line but one of the station agents told me she could do it. That would be three segments but I'd only get AGR points for 2, right?? So it would be pointless to make a r/t in one day even if it were possible?

When do you think the next opportunity will be? NTD? I read somewhere NTD2015 will be May 2nd.

I think NTD will be May 9th. It's been the Saturday before Mother's Day the last few years. Did a quick google and others seem to agree.

And the Fall DD ends the 14th.

Back