Double and Triple Points start today (3/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see what you mean - I didn't catch it either!
ohmy.gif

If it's $74 for each ticket, and both segments are valued at over $35 each, it is correct. However if it is $74 for both tickets, is is "Government Math"
wacko.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the $35 minimum spend is only required for the "Take Five" portion of the promotion. For double and triple points, the $35 minimum spend is not applicable - any spend above zero counts. Paying $74 for two passengers, four segments each, is certainly possible (even easy). During the triple points week, that would indeed net 2400 points. The only limitation is that the trips would not count toward the "Take Five" promo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the $35 minimum spend is only required for the "Take Five" portion of the promotion. For double and triple points, the $35 minimum spend is not applicable - any spend above zero counts. Paying $74 for two passengers, four segments each, is certainly possible (even easy). During the triple points week, that would indeed net 2400 points. The only limitation is that the trips would not count toward the "Take Five" promo.
Except that the T & Cs say "Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day." I'm not sure if that refers to the Take Five promo, or extends to double/triple points.

Except that the T & Cs say "Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day." I'm not sure if that refers to the Take Five promo, or extends to double/triple points.
You're right. The double/triple points are limited to two segments a day. If Imctrouble's trip is one day, as indicated, then only two segments each would count toward the triple points. However, a $37 dollar round trip over two days is certainly possible.

Sheesh! I need a Take Ten :) I will have my Take Five before the end of this month! 4 of those trips will be completed by the end of next week, and these were all trips that were planned before I ever saw this announcement, and even business trips to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok - that's REALLY confusing!!!

I was assuming that the limit of 2 segments per day only pertained to the take 5 - in which case my math wass correct based on 4 segments per day X 2 people. But since only two segments per day qualify (???) I'm going to have to fire up the old calculator again!!

OK - so I called AGR and even the lady wasn't sure if the double/triple points applied to two segments or four - she seemed to think that if you use 4 different trains then you would qualify for the double/triple points for each segment - but not necessarily the take 5 (which I'm not really trying for anyway). She was going to ask a supervisor when she found one. ;)

OK - so I called AGR and even the lady wasn't sure if the double/triple points applied to two segments or four - she seemed to think that if you use 4 different trains then you would qualify for the double/triple points for each segment - but not necessarily the take 5 (which I'm not really trying for anyway). She was going to ask a supervisor when she found one. ;)
I called and was told that the 2 one way tickets limit was for the "take five". Also, the $35.00 was for the "take five". So if he was correct,any trip ie... Chicago-Glenview is good for 2x or 3x. Jim

I thought that it was normally spelled out that only 2 segments per day would qualify for the bonus (double or triple) but the normal 4 segment/day max would still apply for all other points. So, if I was to do 4 segments to OKJ and back in one day during a triple bonus period I would get 800 points (2x300 + 2x100).

I thought that it was normally spelled out that only 2 segments per day would qualify for the bonus (double or triple) but the normal 4 segment/day max would still apply for all other points. So, if I was to do 4 segments to OKJ and back in one day during a triple bonus period I would get 800 points (2x300 + 2x100).
I called AGR again today and was told the same things I said in my post above. Jim

I called AGR again today and was told the same things I said in my post above. Jim
There you go, assuming that there are actually rules with AGR, and that if there are, AGR agents know them. With AGR you pays your money, you takes your chances. My bet is that, in certain cases, you both are right.

But also I would not be surprised that in certain cases, neither of you are right.

Glad double and triple points are here... but it seems AGR is being a little stingy this time around.

5 trips at $35 or more only gets you 500 extra points???

Wasn't there a special a couple of years ago if you do 10 trips at $35 or more got your 10,000 points???

RT

Glad double and triple points are here... but it seems AGR is being a little stingy this time around.

5 trips at $35 or more only gets you 500 extra points???

Wasn't there a special a couple of years ago if you do 10 trips at $35 or more got your 10,000 points???

RT
Late in 2010, yeah. (a quick search gave me a post where you were having trouble with a trip posting to it, dated 11/7/10, for example)

Back