Doh! Bedrooms are sold out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Train Attendant
So my upcoming Christmas trip on the Texas Eagle had all bedrooms sold out on one leg of my trip. What is the easiest way to determine if someone cancels a bedroom reservation between now and the time of my trip...do I just need to keep checking the schedule every day and hope I luck out? I already booked a full bedroom reservation anyway for my round trip and I can work the it into my schedule no problem, but I would much rather prefer to leave one day later.

So my upcoming Christmas trip on the Texas Eagle had all bedrooms sold out on one leg of my trip. What is the easiest way to determine if someone cancels a bedroom reservation between now and the time of my trip...do I just need to keep checking the schedule every day and hope I luck out? I already booked a full bedroom reservation anyway for my round trip and I can work the it into my schedule no problem, but I would much rather prefer to leave one day later.
Have you booked the trip?

Call Amtrak and speak to an agent & ask them to put you on a wait list for that train/day, continue to check 2xs a day too. Sometimes people cancel!!

Have you booked the trip?

Call Amtrak and speak to an agent & ask them to put you on a wait list for that train/day, continue to check 2xs a day too. Sometimes people cancel!!
Great, I'll call them up and give it a shot.

You can keep checking each day. Or, although I've never done it, I've heard people say that they called, SPOKE TO AN AGENT and ASKED TO BE PUT ON A WAIT LIST!
Sunchaser beat me to it!

You know, you don't have to both capitalize AND bold the part about a wait list, especially since I didn't know such a device existed. <_<

You can keep checking each day. Or, although I've never done it, I've heard people say that they called, SPOKE TO AN AGENT and ASKED TO BE PUT ON A WAIT LIST!
Sunchaser beat me to it!
As far I know, Amtrak cannot put you on wait list, you have to purchase it at the time.

Thanks

Sunchaser beat me to it!
As far I know, Amtrak cannot put you on wait list, you have to purchase it at the time.

Thanks
When I booked our reservations last November, the only bedroom available on the Empire Builder (train 7) was the family bedroom for Sept. 21-23, 2009. I booked it. I asked to be put on the waiting list, as I wanted a regular bedroom upstairs. In early August Amtrak called me on my cell phone (at 8:45 PM :( ) to give me the good news. They had the upgrade, and we were set up for bedroom D on the Empire builder for those dates. Since I had already paid for the old tickets, and had the printed tickets at home, I did have to trot down to the local station and get new tickets printed. That took an hour of my time. The bottom line was that I then had new tickets, and a refund of $500+ dollars.

I honestly think that it's better to book through an Amtrak agent, rather than try it on-line. The agents really are more helpful, and suggest things like getting on a waiting list.

Sunchaser beat me to it!

Thanks
All agents have the power to put you on a wait list, but not all know how to do it. I suspect that there are also a few who do know how, but say that there is no list, since they don't want the extra work that is required in order to do it.

Note: They can only put you on the wait list when the room category that you want is sold out. If you want a roomette, and there are two left, then they cannot put you on the wait list as it doesn't yet exist. In other words, one cannot use the wait list as a way to avoid paying for a room right away. One can only use the wait list option, when all rooms in that category, for that date and train are sold out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back