Does Classical Music at Train Stations Deter Crime?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Does Classical Music at Train Stations Really Deter Crime?

When New Jersey Transit upgraded the public address system at its Newark transit hub a year ago, they began piping in classical music along with the announcements on train arrivals and connections. The authority subscribed to a music service and station agents could select from different channels, which also include easy-listening and jazz.
But in cities from Atlanta to Minneapolis and London, there’s often a bigger strategy at work: turn on the great composers and turn away the loiterers, vagrants and troublemakers who are drawn to bus stations, malls and parking lots. Last month, the Associated Press reported on a YMCA in Columbus, OH that began piping Vivaldi into its parking lot, and claiming to disperse petty drug dealers as a result.

I love this! And it really works. There is a local strip mall that was plagued with panhandlers, kids with skateboards running over people, loiterers, and other types that drive away shoppers. As soon as high-class music started playing through speakers, those people left and businesses started drawing more customers.

Perhaps if classical music was playing the diner staff might provide better service and they wouldn't 'hang out' in there taking up a potential revenue table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps if classical music was playing the diner staff might provide better service and they wouldn't 'hang out' in there taking up a potential revenue table.
Sad part is, there used to be music playing in the diners.

I wonder what would be the result of them blasting 'gangsta rap' instead? :rolleyes: I can just imagine, but it would be an interesting scientific experiment if they would test the difference over a certain period. ;)

Does Classical Music at Train Stations Really Deter Crime?

When New Jersey Transit upgraded the public address system at its Newark transit hub a year ago, they began piping in classical music along with the announcements on train arrivals and connections. The authority subscribed to a music service and station agents could select from different channels, which also include easy-listening and jazz.
But in cities from Atlanta to Minneapolis and London, there’s often a bigger strategy at work: turn on the great composers and turn away the loiterers, vagrants and troublemakers who are drawn to bus stations, malls and parking lots. Last month, the Associated Press reported on a YMCA in Columbus, OH that began piping Vivaldi into its parking lot, and claiming to disperse petty drug dealers as a result.
It might. McDonalds pipes in Muzak and it drives those that would normally hang out all do to leave.

See, now I need more data.

What styles? What composers?

This is important because you don't want to start blasting Wagner and the next thing you know people are setting each other on fire over some jewelry.

My Music History teacher from college 30 years ago would love to make some suggestions.

Chicago Union Station gets Wagner, the space under Madison Square Garden is more suited for Vivaldi. Perhaps Stravinsky would work in Los Angeles........ or Portland.

My Music History teacher from college 30 years ago would love to make some suggestions.
Chicago Union Station gets Wagner, the space under Madison Square Garden is more suited for Vivaldi. Perhaps Stravinsky would work in Los Angeles........ or Portland.
I think it's fantastic that you're still in contact with your music history teacher after 30 years!

This is important because you don't want to start blasting Wagner and the next thing you know people are setting each other on fire over some jewelry.
I've taken note (pun intended) of Minneapolis choices. It goes heavy for opera, mostly Italian from bel canto to mid-Verdi. None of Verdi's later operas, and no Germans. It might well be that things are on a short rotation, because I've heard "Casta diva" several times at the same bus stop in downtown Minneapolis. Strangely, no Baroque opera, which would drive even me away.

Yeah, I'd agree about staying away from Wagner or the Russian opera composers, like Mussorgsky. That wouldn't end well.

Barry Manilow would work just as well.
Local experts claim that miscreants hate opera much, much more than Barry Manilow.

Barry Manilow would work just as well.
Local experts claim that miscreants hate opera much, much more than Barry Manilow.
Actually, if Barry's works were properly used, it could stimulate the economy. Mr. Manilow is one of our country's most prolific jingle writers for commercials. Anyone over 30/35 will most likely remember "I am stuck on band-aid, cause band-aid is stuck on me" or "Give your face something to smile about with Stridex" and for our own MrFSS the "Like a Good Neighbor State Farm is there" or "You deserve a break today at McDonalds" and many, many more ad jingles that were written by Barry and helped sell Billions of dollars worth of merchandise.

McDonalds pipes in Muzak and it drives those that would normally hang out all do to leave.
I'm curious what you mean by Muzak? It used to be synonomous with so-called easy listening. But around here it's nothing but r_d n__k caterwauling. It sure drives me out; and I wonder how employees can put up with it all day. Where is elevator music is now that we need it?

Alll background music is lame IMHO. Musical wallpaper - with bad patterns and designs. I say keep in in the elevators where it belongs (since I rarely ride in them).

Great point. As A high school band director ( retired ) I have used many selections for differing reasons. The wrong choice can cause riots and all sorts of problems as you pointed out above.

. Few people understand the effect track ( pun intended) music has on people. Check your local Chinese buffets.......somewhat soothing generic chinese easy listening version of an elevator love song muzack piece that lasts around 20-25 minutes. You can sit through it once but by the second time the loop plays you're getting your check and getting out. Keeps people from sitting around and making room for the 3rd or 4th trip to the food tables.

Take a kid who "pumps up the volume" and turn the bass off and they hate the music because it no longer affects their pulse.

Want to put an elementary class to sleep because they are bouncing off the walls from too much sugar ? Pavanne For a Dead Princess.........usually within 5 minutes all have their heads on the desk and sleeping.

In the lunchroom at school the noise level was unGodly so when I had lunch duty I would play Copeland's Ballet for Martha. It would sooth the wild beast and yet as it moved towards Simple Gifts, it got them moving to finish their food and move out.

Good God what a great subject. And don't forget the color application. There was a scientific reason Wendys used that "pumpkin yellow" on the wall behind the ordering station.

It's sad to say, Hitler and his menions used music to control people more than ( I think ) anyone else. Sure the US used Cohen to write songs for the 1st world war to get people to inlist, but Hitler fired up his troops with music as well as calmed the train "passengers" at their arrival at the death camps. There was also a History Channel feature of the ****'s building of "sound cannons" that could blow buildings down and knock planes out of the sky, but I digress

When I was in college, back in the late '70's and early '80's, I had my dorm room outfitted with a stereo that was cheap even for its day, $80. And there were others on my floor in my dorm that had stereo systems whose cost ran up to $1000. We would occasionally have "stereo wars" in which we would see how loud we could play our stereos until the cacaphony was so annoying that we'd shut our stereos off. In my three years in the dorm, even with my cheapie stereo, I was always the last man standing. I obviously couldn't compete with sheer volume nor quality of the stereo, so I fought back by playing the most obnoxious music I could find in my arsenal of 8-track tapes. (Kids, if you don't know what 8-track tapes were, ask your parents. ;) ) Usually Christmas music, particularly those carols of a religious nature, played at the highest volume I could, did the trick, but if not, I had my ace in the hole:

at full blast usually worked too. :p

Alll background music is lame IMHO. Musical wallpaper - with bad patterns and designs. I say keep in in the elevators where it belongs (since I rarely ride in them).
I'm not sure I've ever actually heard music in an elevator.

Pittsburgh International has classical music playing. Makes it feel really classy. Which is the exact opposite of Penn Station Pittsburgh in virtually every way. It supplies the sound of whatever news channel the station employees put on the TV.

Also, Muzak no longer exists. The company Muzak went under and the company that bought them out wants to distance Muzak from muzak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back