Does Classical Music at Train Stations Deter Crime?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Music History teacher from college 30 years ago would love to make some suggestions.
Chicago Union Station gets Wagner, the space under Madison Square Garden is more suited for Vivaldi. Perhaps Stravinsky would work in Los Angeles........ or Portland.
I think it's fantastic that you're still in contact with your music history teacher after 30 years!
Wasn't difficult - since 1998 we've lived in a house a block away from her....... well, until 18 months ago when she sold her house and moved into a retirement community. Just saw her in December when the brass band I'm a member of played a Christmas concert at her community.

And now Other Mike, I have the Pavanne of which you speak stuck in my head. Good thing I'm going to bed soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is important because you don't want to start blasting Wagner and the next thing you know people are setting each other on fire over some jewelry.
Win.

I think Mozart's Dies Irae and Handel's Dixit Dominus would be right out as well.

re: muzak, Muzak is the trade name of a company that provides pipe-in music to businesses. Like "Hoover" and "Kleenex" it's been conflated with the product, specifically instrumental versions of pop songs. Of course it has been common in the industry since the 1990s to have retailers choose major pop releases (with vocals) instead of the instrumentals, making them ever so much more annoying if you're the poor slob who works there. (And I don't enjoy it as a customer either!)

I'm not sure I've ever actually heard music in an elevator.
Hold music. Discuss.
I enjoy the music and voice messages on hold for Carnival Cruise Lines. I mean, if you're going to be on hold for over and hour, it should be enjoyable, right? If you took a drink every time she says "FUN" you'd be drunk by the time you got a live representative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back