Does 'bashing locos happen in the USA?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonesfan

Service Attendant
Does anyone one here actively 'bash' locos in the USA? ie go out with the intention of gaining as many miles as possible behind as many different locos as possible? it buying a travelpass and hopping off and on different services? Or this purely a British pastime?

We had our 1970's class 87s, which were very similair in performance to the AEM-7s, and in their final days of front line use, attracted quite a following. At the end of the day there was always a 'seminar' pic, ie
yr9qwq.jpg

Do you have anything like this on the NEC or any other busy routes? They aren't Hitler salutes incase anyone is wondering!, but known as 'flailing', which is showing your appreciating for the loco.

Well Locomotives as far as passenger rails in the U.S. are concerned, are pretty standardized. Any Intercity off-corridor passenger train will be behind a P-42, and in VERY rare cases a P-32-8. The only other engine you can get behind is an F59PHI, and these are restricted to North Carolina, and typically West Coast state services. In the NEC you'll be behind an AEM-7, HHP-8, or Acela Power Car. Not much variance as far as passenger service is concerned. For commuters usually GP-40's, F-40's, MPI-36s, or F59PHI's. There just really isn't that much variance in the American Passenger motor. It's freight where you get a lot of variance.

Thats actually a far better variety of loco hauled services than we get!!! There is now not one single diagram that can produce more than 1 type of loco. And even then, the only passenger services that are loco hauled will be by a class 90 electric, or a class 57 or 67 diesel. That doesnt include charter trains which can throw up more 'classic' traction.

Virtually everything is unit orientated here now.......

Well Locomotives as far as passenger rails in the U.S. are concerned, are pretty standardized. Any Intercity off-corridor passenger train will be behind a P-42, and in VERY rare cases a P-32-8. The only other engine you can get behind is an F59PHI, and these are restricted to North Carolina, and typically West Coast state services. In the NEC you'll be behind an AEM-7, HHP-8, or Acela Power Car. Not much variance as far as passenger service is concerned. For commuters usually GP-40's, F-40's, MPI-36s, or F59PHI's. There just really isn't that much variance in the American Passenger motor. It's freight where you get a lot of variance.

Not much variance as far as passenger service is concerned.
My friends and I do a sort of 'bashing' with SEPTA, I guess. We always cheer when we see car 269 (and are sure to mention to each other when we get to ride it)--that's the only one which still has Pennsy letterboards. It's one of the shabbier cars in the system on the inside, though :( But since it's an MU, it's also a loco, sort of, so maybe it counts for 'loco bashing' :p

Maybe if there were more variety, there'd be more 'bashing'? It sounds fun.

The general idea is to gain as many miles behind as many locos as possible. Its almost a game. He who achieves the highest mileage wins. Some people are loyal to a particular loco, others to a type of loco, and will aim to travel behind every single member of that class of loco in a set amount of time.

The bashing game often involves leaping off of a train, running over the footbridge or across a 16 track concourse, and barely making onto another service, of which of course contains a loco that you desperately need to clear the set! Sometimes you will need to do overnight 'moves' and rely on information given to you by a fellow basher, or maybe a friendly railway employee who has a genuine interest in trains.

You are of course at the mercy of the railway, and may find yourself arriving at a station in the middle of nowhere and looking to jump onto another service of which is due to leave 5 minutes after your arrives. But you train is late and you sprint over the footbridge, only to find the red tail light of your intended train disappeaing into the distance! And of course, on the front will be the loco that you ever so desperately need.

I can imagine the commuter routes and NEC are ideal 'bashing' locations. And of course, a 'railpass' is essential.

Some 'bashing' phrases for you to use:

Detonated: Missing a train by a matter of a few seconds.

Caped: A service that is cancelled. ie the 1230 to New York is 'caped'

Bowled: Being caught out by a different loco than the one you thought would be heading your train.

Chung up: Being excessed by the guard because your rail pass is not valid on that service.

Flailing: Leaning out of the window, arms waving, usually at the sight of a lineside photographer.

Bail out: leaving your train for the sole purpose of catching another.

Have fun :)

Not much variance as far as passenger service is concerned.
My friends and I do a sort of 'bashing' with SEPTA, I guess. We always cheer when we see car 269 (and are sure to mention to each other when we get to ride it)--that's the only one which still has Pennsy letterboards. It's one of the shabbier cars in the system on the inside, though :( But since it's an MU, it's also a loco, sort of, so maybe it counts for 'loco bashing' :p

Maybe if there were more variety, there'd be more 'bashing'? It sounds fun.

Though I really should try it sometime, I haven't actually kept record of which locos pull my trains. I take a photo, but don't keep a log of sorts.

It would be fun to know which P42s have carried me across the country and see if I can spot it again. Otherwise on the LD trains anyway, there are just too many miles, too many P42s and too much uncertainty to try and ride a specific loco - especially since for the most part you have to reserve in advance. By the time you know which loco is headed your way, it could be too late to plan.

In Japan, I know that there can be a huge railfan following whenever a particular EMU series is about to be retired from its normal duty. For the most part, the authorities oblige and make a big to-do about it with banners, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I really should try it sometime, I haven't actually kept record of which locos pull my trains. I take a photo, but don't keep a log of sorts.
Likewise. I could probably go through six years of photos and find engine numbers for ... less than half the P-42s and AEM-7s I've ridden behind. I like the idea, though, and it would be neat to see if I ever spot engines from memorable trips again.

That does bring to mind another question, though: trainsets are more-or-less route-consistent, aren't they? As in, if there are five Crescent trainsets, doesn't every fifth train tends to have the same two Viewliners, Diner, cafe, and maybe even same coaches. Do they also tend to use the same engines? Even if they switch around some, most of that switching around would be in WAS, and that would result in maybe one set of P-42s that are fairly consistently on the East Coast and the rest stay in the Midwest or West, with relatively little nationwide shifting about? Or is that not the case?

It would be fun to know which P42s have carried me across the country and see if I can spot it again. Otherwise on the LD trains anyway, there are just too many miles, too many P42s and too much uncertainty to try and ride a specific loco - especially since for the most part you have to reserve in advance. By the time you know which loco is headed your way, it could be too late to plan.
I think you're right, on Amtrak it's just not a practical concept. (Unless you take the Acela a lot, or something like that.) But on a commuter system, it's quite doable. While I'm between jobs, I keep thinking I should devote a week to getting a Zone-4 SEPTA pass and attempt to ride the entire Regional Rail network, stopping at most stations. Just start early in the morning and pick a route, like the R5, and take trains back and forth, getting off at stations where a train in the other direction is about to arrive. By keeping track of each trainset, and trying to avoid picking up the same ones after they turn, I bet I could ride on consists carrying at least 30% of the entire Silverliner fleet over a week of dedicated riding. I'd imagine such 'bashing' would be possible on NJT, MetroNorth, etc, too, where the "getting off and dashing onto another train immediately, all paid for on a weekly/monthly" is feasible.

Some of us keep track of the miles that we ride in one year. On the on track on line forum, there is a place for us to submit mileage, and the administrator keeps track. This is fun. Also, I have ridden every route in the Amtrak system except for the downeaster, the segment of track between Richmond, and Norfolk, and the piedmont,

There is a group of us who travel to different cities to "ace" the transit system. This means riding every line in the system. I have participated in these railfests in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Chicago, and the Bay area.

Some of us keep track of the miles that we ride in one year. On the on track on line forum, there is a place for us to submit mileage, and the administrator keeps track. This is fun. Also, I have ridden every route in the Amtrak system except for the downeaster, the segment of track between Richmond, and Norfolk, and the piedmont,
There is a group of us who travel to different cities to "ace" the transit system. This means riding every line in the system. I have participated in these railfests in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Chicago, and the Bay area.
I worked out my lifetime Amtrak mileage over Thanksgiving weekend this year, going through many years of journal entries, emailing several friends to try to get details of visits I vaguely remembered (did I have my car on that trip? that sort of thing), and going through logs my dad kept for the really early trips. Even going through old Major League Baseball schedules to figure out the exact dates of the trip Mom and I took to Philadelphia to watch a homestand against the Cubs sometime in the early-'90s!

I got the answer just in time to discover that on my trip back to Philadelphia after Thanksgiving I would hit 20,000 lifetime miles somewhere around Wilmington! I made a little card that said "20,000 Miles" and got my dining car waiter to take a photo of me holding it with my celebratory cheesecake :)

(Then, on a trip to Boston in December, I discovered I'd missed one trip to Boston back around 2003, bumped my mileage up, but amazingly put the point I actually crossed 20,000 back to my trip in September on the Cardinal, at almost exactly the same milepost around Wilmington!) Calculating it all out was a lot of fun and led to some interesting reminiscing. (I'm still a little unsure about one trip to Long Island; I think I actually did SEPTA/NJT/MTA/LIRR instead of Amtrak, but my records just weren't clear enough in 1996.)

I forgot to add that the idea of bashing locos in the UK sounds like a blast. I have traveled quite a bit in Europe and the UK, and enjoy the rail systems in both places.

In 1988, I used an 8 day rail pass for the following itinerary. This is a rough idea of what i did

Day 1

London Paddington to Swansea on IC 125

Swansea to Cardiff

Cardiff to Weymouth (IIRC)

Weymouth to Paddington

London Euston to Inverness by night train

Day 2

Inverness to Kyle of Localsh

Kyle of Lochalsh to Dingwall (Bussed because of derailment)

Dingwall to Thurso

Day 3

Thurso to Inverness

Inverness to Glasgow

Day 4

Glasgow to Crewe

Crewe to Llandudno jct

Llandudno jct to Blaneau Ffestiniog

Blaneau Ffestiniog to Portmadog

Portmadog to Pwillheli

Sorry about spellings

Day 5

Pwillhei to Birmingham New Street

Birmingham New street to Penzance IC 125

Day 6

Penzance to London

Day 7

London York

York Edinburgh

Day 8

Ediburgh to glasgow

Glasgow to Fort William

Fort William to London via night train

Day 9 arrive London

I know I rode some sort of sprinters on the train from wales to Birmingham. The Crewe to Llandudno jct was a MDU of some sort. It was old, but it had a rail fan seat where I could look back and watch the tracks. This thing rode rough, I remember that. I also remember riding those trains with the individual doors that passengers could open on trips around london. Those were cool.

Bashing in the UK is unfortunately well on its way out. There are probably barely 15 diagrammed locos working per day. And 6 of these will be on overnights!

I would definately be up for some AEM-7 thrash though!

I forgot to add that the idea of bashing locos in the UK sounds like a blast. I have traveled quite a bit in Europe and the UK, and enjoy the rail systems in both places.
In 1988, I used an 8 day rail pass for the following itinerary. This is a rough idea of what i did

Day 1

London Paddington to Swansea on IC 125

Swansea to Cardiff

Cardiff to Weymouth (IIRC)

Weymouth to Paddington

London Euston to Inverness by night train

Day 2

Inverness to Kyle of Localsh

Kyle of Lochalsh to Dingwall (Bussed because of derailment)

Dingwall to Thurso

Day 3

Thurso to Inverness

Inverness to Glasgow

Day 4

Glasgow to Crewe

Crewe to Llandudno jct

Llandudno jct to Blaneau Ffestiniog

Blaneau Ffestiniog to Portmadog

Portmadog to Pwillheli

Sorry about spellings

Day 5

Pwillhei to Birmingham New Street

Birmingham New street to Penzance IC 125

Day 6

Penzance to London

Day 7

London York

York Edinburgh

Day 8

Ediburgh to glasgow

Glasgow to Fort William

Fort William to London via night train

Day 9 arrive London

I know I rode some sort of sprinters on the train from wales to Birmingham. The Crewe to Llandudno jct was a MDU of some sort. It was old, but it had a rail fan seat where I could look back and watch the tracks. This thing rode rough, I remember that. I also remember riding those trains with the individual doors that passengers could open on trips around london. Those were cool.

I live in Chicago, so AEM 7's would be hard for me to do unless I am out east. The metra system is mostly diesel hauled trains with bilevel cars. The Metra electric line and the Chicago South Shore lines are are eletric lines with overhead cantenary. on a weekend you can get a 5 dollar pass that allows you to ride ALL of the lines. If you ever come to Chicago, send me a PM. The rail enthusiast that I met in England were very hospitable, and would try to return the favor.

As you know, NYC has a great system. Check out San Francisco and Los Angeles. They have some interesting transit systems too.

Superliner Diner, AKA as Kevin Korell on On track on line has some great rail fan actvities known as railfest. I dont know how to do links, but if you google BARF 2008, you can find out about his railfest for New York City in January of 2008. He also has a florida railfest for this summer. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, does stonesfan refer to the Rolling Stones? If so you would understand that the stone's song, "Satisfaction" applies to the rail fan seen in the United States. LOL.

I live in Chicago, so AEM 7's would be hard for me to do unless I am out east. The metra system is mostly diesel hauled trains with bilevel cars. The Metra electric line and the Chicago South Shore lines are are eletric lines with overhead cantenary. on a weekend you can get a 5 dollar pass that allows you to ride ALL of the lines. If you ever come to Chicago, send me a PM. The rail enthusiast that I met in England were very hospitable, and would try to return the favor.
As you know, NYC has a great system. Check out San Francisco and Los Angeles. They have some interesting transit systems too.

Superliner Diner, AKA as Kevin Korell on On track on line has some great rail fan actvities known as railfest. I dont know how to do links, but if you google BARF 2008, you can find out about his railfest for New York City in January of 2008. He also has a florida railfest for this summer. Good luck.
BARF 2008

The whole "bashing" thing is very much on the decline in the UK seeing as there are very few loco hauled trains left on the system. Electric loco bashing was a "minority sport" compared to bashing diesel locos. People devoted days and weeks to it, especially chasing classes of loco being taken out of traffic, I personally know 2 chaps who have had over 1 million miles on a certain type of diesel loco!!!!

Takes a certain amount of stupidity, dedication, railstaff discount card and no social life!

In the 1980s there were an awful lot of sleeper/overnight trains on most routes to and from London,and across country, so it was very easy to travel almost continually if you so desired.

Its almost like a sport where you make the rules up....

Places like Chicago, San Fran and New York would lend themselves very well to travelling behind lots of locos in a short space of time and there are a lot of UK rail enthusiasts who are travelling to America to sample another countries railways.

All a bit pointless but it can be great fun!

The whole "bashing" thing is very much on the decline in the UK seeing as there are very few loco hauled trains left on the system. Electric loco bashing was a "minority sport" compared to bashing diesel locos. People devoted days and weeks to it, especially chasing classes of loco being taken out of traffic, I personally know 2 chaps who have had over 1 million miles on a certain type of diesel loco!!!!Takes a certain amount of stupidity, dedication, railstaff discount card and no social life!

In the 1980s there were an awful lot of sleeper/overnight rains on most routes to and from London,and across country, so it was very easy to travel almost continually if you so desired.

Its almost like a sport where you make the rules up....

Places like Chicago, San Fran and New York would lend themselves very well to travelling behind lots of locos in a short space of time and there are a lot of UK rail enthusiasts who are travelling to America to sample another countries railways.

All a bit pointless but it can be great fun!

Since when was riding trains pointless. LOL This is a railfan forum.

Since when was riding trains pointless. LOL This is a railfan forum.
Riding trains is an education, even if you do it for fun!

You get to know where the decent pubs,bars and restaurants are nearby to stations.If you want to know how to get lunch or a beer in a certain town when you only have an hour or two, ask a railfan! You can recommend a hotel in most towns you have visited and you get to find out where all those 'middle of nowhere' towns are that you have heard about, but would never have seen if you were in an airplane. You know the quickest way from A to B, know the local metro/subway/tube network in dozens of cities and the cheapest way to get around when you are there!

I bet someone could think of some more stuff you pick up when travelling by train?

Dense as dirt reporting in here....

Am I the only one who hasn't yet figured out what "bashing" is?

Whoever said bashing AC Electrics is (or was) a minority sport, then you are talking utter garbage as just look at some of the veg that the final weeks of the class 87s brought out!!!! ;)

But your comments on the hardcore bashers is all too true. No social life, no personal hygiene, and no life in general!

And theres one detail I forgot to mention about bashing. Make sure you bring plenty of booze!

Dense as dirt reporting in here....Am I the only one who hasn't yet figured out what "bashing" is?
Does anyone one here actively 'bash' locos in the USA? ie go out with the intention of gaining as many miles as possible behind as many different locos as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back