Disappointed with Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amtrakrider83

Well, my experience so far is a complete disappointment. First of all, Amtrak's ETA to stations down the line are totally unreliable. At one point they'll estimate that in six hours you'll be 20 minutes late, but then 3 hours later, you'll now be 2 hours late. Secondly, their mobile phone apps don't give any explanation as to why. It's not uncommon for the train to just stop somewhere and actually turn off for an hour, with no explanation given.

It blows me away that with today's computer systems, GPS, simulation software how completely "dumb" the American train industy is in figuring out schedules to any precision what-so-ever. It's not rocket science, it's trains, big slow trains on fixed tracks with fixed distances and itineraries.

Well, my experience so far is a complete disappointment. First of all, Amtrak's ETA to stations down the line are totally unreliable. At one point they'll estimate that in six hours you'll be 20 minutes late, but then 3 hours later, you'll now be 2 hours late. Secondly, their mobile phone apps don't give any explanation as to why. It's not uncommon for the train to just stop somewhere and actually turn off for an hour, with no explanation given.

It blows me away that with today's computer systems, GPS, simulation software how completely "dumb" the American train industy is in figuring out schedules to any precision what-so-ever. It's not rocket science, it's trains, big slow trains on fixed tracks with fixed distances and itineraries.
You must be on the Empire Builder! LOL

I too wonder why they can't do a better job with estimating arrivals and departures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you aware that Amtrak run on freight tracks (except the NEC and a couple of other small areas) and is therefore sharing the tracks with freight trains? The freight RRs control the flow on their tracks, not Amtrak.

Delays can be caused by many things out of Amtrak's control & some of them (derailments, trespassers, etc) happen unexpectedly.

If you want to try to help Amtrak run better, contact your congress persons and tell them you want better support for long distance passenger trains.

Amtrak needs to hire better fortune tellers to feed into the ETA estimator I suppose :p
If I could accurately predict the future, I'd be a rich man!

Seriously, sometimes trains make up time. Sometimes they lose more time. The problem isn't with Amtrak, it's with your expectations.

Now granted I'm a touch impartial because I love taking the train but:

how many people go "I'm never flying United ever again because we were three hours late departing Houston for Seattle" or "I'm never driving again because I was stuck in traffic for two hours on the Pennsylvania Turnpike!"

Any mode of travel, including walking, can suffer horrible delays. Planes get stuck in cities with clear skies because thunderstorms in Miami ground planes in Minneapolis and that's why your flight in Boston can't take off. Goober roll their cars down ravines driving too fast in the rain and the recovery equipment is blocking an entire half of an interstate. It happens.

I drive back up to Pittsburgh all the time. Last Thanksgiving, it took me 11.5 hours to do that. I didn't get bend out of shape at the Maryland Department of Transportation for not warning me that I-70 would be a parking lot for sixty miles.

The real problem is poor communication. There is no excuse for that.Conductors should know or be told what the cause of any delay is and should pass that information on to riders in a timely manner. On one trip, we had to stop just a mile north of our destination station and wait for 45 minutes. At least the conductor told us why - signal failure so none of the crossing gates were working. We weren't thrilled but we realized it was a safety issue and knew it wasn't Amtrak's fault. Another trip, we often had stops in the middle of nowhere and ended up 4 hours late. Not once did the conductor announce why.

Delays happen. Poor communication should NEVER happen.

Airlines are famous for hiding the reasons for delays. In the old days, agents simply lied. Then congress demanded better accountability so the airlines promised that agents wouldn't lie. Now the agents aren't told why so they can't lie.

Unfortunately, the freight companies control the tracks, not Amtrak. If something happens down the line, the freight company radios Amtrak, and Amtrak adjusts accordingly. This can be anything from a shipping delay on their part throwing the schedule off and forcing Amtrak into a siding for an hour until the other train passes (there are only so many sidings), or there could be an accident with a vehicle at a crossing, which can delay things considerably. There are also times they'll encounter a broken switch, a tree on the tracks, or some other issue.

One that comes to mind is a power outage in Battle Creek that meant they had to flag each crossing as we passed through town. We progressed at approx. 10 mph and then had to stop for two hours while crews removed a tree from the tracks. In that case, though, the conductors did make announcements.

Fortunately, Amtrak "pads" their schedule to allow for the minor mishaps (that's why Amtrak arrives as much as a half-hour early to some stops), but it doesn't always cover the major delays.

I am sorry they are not communicating the reason for the delay, though. They kill power to the train if they know it's going to be a while, just like some people put their car in park and turn it off if they're stuck in gridlock for an hour without any movement. No sense in wasting fuel. :) Your app would go crazy with updates if they communicated every minor delay, so that's why they added "Train Status" as an option. I check it an hour before we leave and then again a half-hour beforehand.

Amtrak has its quirks, just like the airline industry. Alexandria Nick made an excellent comparison. When there is a storm in Chicago, it can delay/cancel flights out of Denver, and you'll see a bunch of people in Denver flipping out because it affects so many connections down the line. The customers get just as angry and post on forums about it, just like you are. Unfortunately, just like Amtrak, the air traffic controllers have to adjust for every blip across the network, and sometimes that means things get delayed. That's why it baffles me when people cut things close, whether they are driving, taking a train, or flying. To me, delays are one of the risks you run when you travel, but I do agree communication is key. If I know why we're delayed, I can blame the cause for the delay (stupid storm!) instead of sitting there annoyed and confused.

Unfortunately, the "dumb" American train industry has yet to find a schedule forecaster which can accurately predict a freight derailment, an engine fail, a brake malfunction, a trespasser on the tracks, etc. Ridiculous.

Until they find a reliable one, we will have to trust the 100% on-time bus, plane and car modes of transportation.

There is a very simple reason. You cannot predict the future.

Sure, there's other reasons that uyou can beat, but you still can't beat the simple one.

They are somewhat reflective of reality, and Amtrak makes it pretty obvious that it's an estimate subject to change:

Train_Status.png

There is a very simple reason. You cannot predict the future.
Yet Amtrak attempts to do this by giving estimated arrival times on its website...leading reasonable people to assume

that those predictions are somewhat reflective of reality.
Could you then perhaps suggest what language Amtrak should use with such estimates, since the current language used is not apparently to your (and allegedly reasonable people's) satisfaction? Or should it simply stop giving any estimates at all? ;) I and a few others are starting to develop grave doubts about the reasonableness of allegedly reasonable people I am afraid. :p

Oh, the current language is fine with me. It's clear that it's an estimate.

It's just that someone complaining about inaccurate predictions is basically met here with "You should have known better."

After all, everyone knows that trains are subject to delays by freights, derailments, trespassers, broken switches, trees, power outages,

brake failures, engine malfunctions...just to mention the reasons cited on this thread. And that someone who thinks that the Amtrak website

or 800-number should offer reasonably accurate information has problems "with their expectations."

Yeah, "stuff" happens and no one expects 100% accuracy, but there's clearly room for improvement about how Amtrak communicates

information about delays both to web users and people on board.

But I guess people should just "know better." Toss your expectations out the door when you choose Amtrak. That's the "reasonable"

course of action, I suppose.

I guess different people have different ideas of what is reasonable. Their idea of reasonable also depends on whether they have to provide the information or they are consumers of it. Such is life.

It is what it is. I have been as late as 10 hours and on time on Amtrak. One can not help track traffic and long freight trains or equipment failures. Amtrak does not try to delay trains, but stuff happens. Last time I flew on American, I was sked to depart JFK at 4:30, instead departed at 8:15 due to issues. One can gripe and raise tons of hell, so what, no one will listen. Public transportation does its best to run on time, but stuff happens.

At least from my experiences, there are indeed too many factors, that can both add and subtract from arrival times. A late train can arrive earlier, and an early train can end up arriving later.

As I just mentioned in another tread, late trains can become "persona non grata". It seems that at some point, someone just throws up their hands, and gives up. And with that, the trains gets later and later.

I know on the Silvers, we can be already several hours late. When that happens, we start loosing even more time by sitting in stations for long, long times. Or being stopped on a siding for a hour or more, as other (freight) trains move by us.

Once the train looses its "slot" in the rail traffic, its screwed.

The real problem is poor communication. There is no excuse for that.Conductors should know or be told what the cause of any delay is and should pass that information on to riders in a timely manner.
That is so very true. When I was on a Silver that was delayed for 24+ hours, Amtrak provided absolutely no info or status to the Conductor at all. None. The only info the Conductor was able to get, was for him to use his personal cell phone to call work-friends back at one of the Amtrak offices. The only reason I got to find out anything, was I just happen to be standing in the sleeper vestibule, when the Conductor stopped there to take a break, and we got to chat for a while.

At least from my experiences, there are indeed too many factors, that can both add and subtract from arrival times. A late train can arrive earlier, and an early train can end up arriving later.

As I just mentioned in another tread, late trains can become "persona non grata". It seems that at some point, someone just throws up their hands, and gives up. And with that, the trains gets later and later.

I know on the Silvers, we can be already several hours late. When that happens, we start loosing even more time by sitting in stations for long, long times. Or being stopped on a siding for a hour or more, as other (freight) trains move by us.

"Late trains get later."

That is so very true. When I was on a Silver that was delayed for 24+ hours, Amtrak provided absolutely no info or status to the Conductor at all. None. The only info the Conductor was able to get, was for him to use his personal cell phone to call work-friends back at one of the Amtrak offices. The only reason I got to find out anything, was I just happen to be standing in the sleeper vestibule, when the Conductor stopped there to take a break, and we got to chat for a while.
Which makes perfect sense, seeing as how Amtrak isn't doing the dispatching of the train nor was Amtrak at all involved in solving the freight problems that caused that delay. Any information to and for the crew would have had to come from CSX; not Amtrak.

And in that particular incident, even CSX got things wrong. They figured that they'd have the first problem fixed sooner, and then no sooner did they finally clear that problem, when IIRC the first freight train to start to move through the area suffered a broken knuckle or some failure.

I am usually pro Constitution but US should just nationalize the railroad tracks a la Fidel Castro. Screw freight companies. They probably dont pay taxes and they rarely ever build tracks with their own money anyway,

"Late trains get later."
And if you think you're safe once you are within sight of the station, think again. Last fall on the CZ, we were about an hour late getting into Chicago. As we were pulling into downtown, I'm thinking "Great! We're late, but at least we're at the station now, and I can think about getting lunch and catching my connecting train." Nope. Since we were late, we'd missed our slot in the Chicago station and had to sit just a couple blocks from the station for another half hour. At that point, I'm thinking "Just let me off here. I'll walk the rest of the way!"

But, at least we were informed as to what was happening. To me, just about any problem can be forgiven with proper communication. A little customer service can go a long way. Of course, it doesn't help if you are on car without a working PA system, which is usually my luck.

I am usually pro Constitution but US should just nationalize the railroad tracks a la Fidel Castro. Screw freight companies. They probably dont pay taxes and they rarely ever build tracks with their own money anyway,
Amen to that!

Virtually everything you've said here is absolutely untrue.

Railroads pay plenty of taxes, including local property taxes on the right of way (one of the ways in which railroads are at a disadvantage to other modes). Additionally, freight railroads are paying plenty for their own improvements. The primary cases where they won't pay are where improvements are needed for passenger service.

Finally, if the US government can't reasonably fund and maintain any other infrastrucutre, what makes you think, in this terribly poliarized political climate, that anything good could possibly come from nationalizing railroad infrastructure? That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back