Disappointed in Empire Builder sleeper service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"We may be able to make your experience better during the trip if notified during it."

Is that grammatically correct?

Who ARE these people?
Curious how you would word it. It does sound a little strange, but I can't come up with another way to word it.
An English scholar might use the subjunctive as in "if you were to notify us ...". But that's asking a lot and sounds a bit pompous as well.

Here is the reply from Amtrak Customer Service:
Dear Tony Xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting us.

If you encounter an issue regarding service on board the train, you may certainly bring the issue to the attention of the conductor while en route. Should the issue persist, or the response is unsatisfactory, you will also have the option of notifying us by phone or email either during your trip after your trip is complete. We may be able to make your experience better during the trip if notified during it.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Adam

Amtrak Customer Service
With all the attention paid the grammar, the significance of this might be lost. This is the first time I've seen anything to the effect that customer service will attempt to deal with something in real time.

After switching trains to the LSL and having Bob as our attendant I can see why Andy thought Miguel wasn't that great. Bob was amazing, very good energy. Since I started eastbound I had Miguel first, he was nice, but if we're heading westbound with Bob first, anyone would be a tough act to follow.

Yes! You can understand how Bob set the standard so high it was easier to be disappointed. Still, I didn't appreciate the way I felt Miguel spoke down to me. Things did seem more on his terms. Oh well.

A rule is a rule, and a violation is a violation. Whether it is PPE or use of cell phones while on duty, it is really as simple as that. You start applying gray areas or subjective analysis to what is a true/false situation, then the rule quickly becomes unenforceable. There are plenty of ways to provide "good customer service" without breaking the rule about cell phone use. It is not an either/or.
"Zee rule ist zee rule" does not sound like a slogan for customer service success in the US. Unless the issue is safety. You keep raising safety issues but in this case it does not appear safety was compromised by use of the cell phone. In which case, the cell phone usage was likely banned because it appeared rude to customers who expect an attentive attendant. Except that the phone was being used for the customer's benefit.

Employees who are not empowered to help customers cannot cannot cannot deliver excellent customer service. Rulesbound or service excellent--pick one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back