Disappointed in Empire Builder sleeper service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Train Attendant
I'm on the EB right now and our sleeper attendant, Miguel, has not been too helpful. He didn't give us much information when we boarded and when he put down the upper berth last night (in a bedroom) he failed to connect the metal rod to the ceiling at the foot of the bed. We also never got a bag of amenities or a newspaper in the morning. Why? Miguel also has never seemed to be in the sleeping car unlike our attendant Bob on the LSL. I'm a bit disappointed!

Hello Andy,

Sadly, the staff on Amtrak is somewhat inconsistent. It sounds like Miguel is doing only the basics of his job and nothing more. My suggestion as a regular Amtrak rider is to make the most of your trip, tip accordingly (perhaps not tipping at all! But that is your call to make) and then send Amtrak Customer service a call and/ or email when your trip is over and let them know details including your attendants name and date of travel.

Hope you enjoy the lovely scenery of the Empire Builder!

When I asked about the newspaper he kind of rudely said, "Because I haven't handed them out yet." He also never told us hours for breakfast or lunch.

Bob, on the LSL was amazing! He gave us important information up front, and really went out of his was to be helpful. He told is where his room was in case we needed something. Bob has been with Amtrak 40 years and clearly seems to love his job. Miguel on the other hand seems to be doing the minimum and asking him for something he acts as if it's an inconvenience.

Document everything you believe went wrong with notes so you can call Customer Service and have a concise report rather than just a generalization of poor service. If you have a camera you might even get some candid snappers of things gone wrong, such as the footrod not connected on the Upper.

Document everything you believe went wrong with notes so you can call Customer Service and have a concise report rather than just a generalization of poor service. If you have a camera you might even get some candid snappers of things gone wrong, such as the footrod not connected on the Upper.
i totally concur. it is the best way to improve service

Amtrak pays their SCA's good money and offers great benefits. They can supplement their salary with tips and earn quite a bit more. People line up for these jobs so the people that are given these positions need to live up to a set standard of excellence and competence. If they do not do what they are being paid to do they should be terminated and we the passengers, should hold them accountable.

To the contrary one of the best SCA's that we've ever encountered was Dave on the CL. The guy is friendly courteous, helpful and competent. On the return trip Andre was our SCA. He's not usually on the CL (he works a Western route) but was called into work for the extra sleeper that was added. Andre was about as good and he did a competent job. He even left his roomette door open and broadcasted to everyone on the PA system that if they wanted ice, just pop into roomette 10 and take it with the scoop in the cooler. That was a nice gesture.

i totally concur. it is the best way to improve service
Pictures may be a little much, but in general I concur. Amtrak can't solve problems they don't know about.

Just more evidence of Amtrak's biggest problem within its control, very inconsistent customer service. Hope you will take the time to contact Customer Service about your experience, complaints about this kind of service (and commendations for service like you got on the LSL) is the only way that has a change of changin.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, and possibly to confirm my own preconceptions, are you in the Portland sleeper (2730) or one of the Seattle sleepers (0730/0731)? The Portland sleeper is crewed out of the Chicago crewbase, while the Seattle sleepers are crewed out of the Seattle crewbase.

And I agree with sending pix. Then there is evidence, instead of just "he said, she said".

Last edited by a moderator:
And I agree with sending pix. Then there is evidence, instead of just "he said, she said".
Just be careful with those pictures/videos, that you're only sending that which impacts only the person you're trying to document. I'm aware of a situation where a good attendant got into trouble because someone upset with another crew member sent in a video that included her in the video.

Some general advice... if you get concerned with how you're going to write this guy up and go to the unnecessary step of being a shutter bug then you'll just be ruining your trip for yourself. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

No excuse for bad service, as it sound like this person is giving. Most of the SCA's on my trips have been outstanding, so by all means let Amtrak CS know of this person's failings. I hope it do not get this turkey on my next EB trek next month!!

Sorry to hear about this. As other said, please take a few minutes to write to Amtrak about this. Also, mention about the good ones you had so far.. Please do enjoy the trip, don't let this bother you.

Just be careful with those pictures/videos, that you're only sending that which impacts only the person you're trying to document. I'm aware of a situation where a good attendant got into trouble because someone upset with another crew member sent in a video that included her in the video.
The problem was not that the other employee was in the video. The problem was that the other employee was in the video breaking an Amtrak rule. Perhaps the better suggestion would be for employees to not break rules. Then it would not matter if they happened to find themselves in a video sent in to HQ.

Just more evidence of Amtrak's biggest problem within its control, very inconsistent customer service. Hope you will take the time to contact Customer Service about your experience, complaints about this kind of service (and commendations for service like you got on the LSL) is the only way that has a change of changin.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, and possibly to confirm my own preconceptions, are you in the Portland sleeper (2730) or one of the Seattle sleepers (0730/0731)? The Portland sleeper is crewed out of the Chicago crewbase, while the Seattle sleepers are crewed out of the Seattle crewbase.

Actually it is car 2730! But my SCA on the LSL was from Chicago and he was super attentive.

Well I've tried to enjoy the trip. And it was good. Met a lot of great people (I'll write a travelogue when I return) but it's hard not to let something like this bother you. Especially when sleepers are so expensive and this is my girlfriend's first LD trip. I wanted to make sure it was smooth and lovely.

Ok, I suppose I do not understand, after all this time. if the conductor is responsible for all aspects of the train, and is an Amtrak employee, is s/he not the Amtrak employee in charge @ any given point in time.

I mean, there must be SOME one who is the final authority on a train.

So why would it not be the thing to do, to

1. Speak quietly to the conductor on board, and/or

2. Call CS while still on the train, to ask them what they needed, or what they wanted you to do.

The conductor is in charge.

But unless it's something egregious, they're far too busy actually ensuring the safe operation of the train to get into "I'm not getting the service that I feel like I should be getting" disputes.

The conductor is in charge.
But unless it's something egregious, they're far too busy actually ensuring the safe operation of the train to get into "I'm not getting the service that I feel like I should be getting" disputes.
As I've said on more than one occasion, picture a factory with no shop foremen. I forgot to add to picture one in which the plant manager has more important things to worry about than the quality of the product coming out.

Running the train into another train or derailing because the engineer missed a slow order would be a bit more of a quality hit than not getting your morning newspaper on time.

I don't mean to make the argument that poor customer service is acceptable. It isn't. But the conductor has far more on his place. What is needed is either a return of the Chief of OBS onboard (and for them to be effective) or more manager presence on trains (although when your boss is around, you tend to not slack off).

Until one of both of them happen, all we can do is report the bad apples and wait for the complaints to have an impact (which they do).

Amtrak used to have a Chief of Onboard Services on LD trains. Of course this position was also inconsistent but this was the manger of on board service. The Conductor is in charge of the actual operations of the train... While they do have authority... It's not really there position as far as I know, to get involved with customer service issues.

The problem was not that the other employee was in the video. The problem was that the other employee was in the video breaking an Amtrak rule. Perhaps the better suggestion would be for employees to not break rules. Then it would not matter if they happened to find themselves in a video sent in to HQ.
While true that she was breaking a rule, using her cell phone. She was doing so to help a passenger who had asked her a question about Boston. Sort of a catch 22 situation!

Amtrak used to have a Chief of Onboard Services on LD trains. Of course this position was also inconsistent but this was the manger of on board service. The Conductor is in charge of the actual operations of the train... While they do have authority... It's not really there position as far as I know, to get involved with customer service issues.
Yes, for several years Amtrak had the COBS position. And some were very good. But many were not. I saw several on both sides. The problem was that they were all union employees who had been promoted. Some were able to rise about the "brother" thing and be effective managers. Others were simply too friendly with their brethren and didn't properly manage the staff; some never came out of their rooms except for meals.

So Amtrak cut the position. Then a few years later tried to put in true managers as COBS, but the union fought that as a move to cut union positions and won. So Amtrak's only choices now are continue as they do, with more occasional management ride alongs, or restore union managers whom will probably end up replicating the earlier problem where some are great, some OK, and some are horrible.

While true that she was breaking a rule, using her cell phone. She was doing so to help a passenger who had asked her a question about Boston. Sort of a catch 22 situation!
Its not a Catch 22 at all. The Amtrak rules prohibit onboard crew from using personal cell phones while on duty. Thus, onboard employees should not use personal cell phones while on duty - period. If a passenger needs some info, the employee should diplomatically tell them how to find it themselves.

I dealt with stuff like this all the time. News coverage of a job would include a photo or a video, and low and behold, there is one of our people in the background without the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). They would get in trouble, and blame the photo or video. Wrong answer.

Whether a photo or video shows someone not wearing the proper PPE, or shows someone using a cell phone when they shouldnt be, the problem is not the photo or video. The problem is that a rule has been broken. Dont break rules, and photos or videos will do no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back