Disappointed in Empire Builder sleeper service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not wearing the proper uniform or PPE isn't quite the same as trying to provide good customer service. Sorry!

Not wearing the proper uniform or PPE isn't quite the same as trying to provide good customer service. Sorry!
A rule is a rule, and a violation is a violation. Whether it is PPE or use of cell phones while on duty, it is really as simple as that. You start applying gray areas or subjective analysis to what is a true/false situation, then the rule quickly becomes unenforceable. There are plenty of ways to provide "good customer service" without breaking the rule about cell phone use. It is not an either/or.

That reminds me a lot of the "zero tolerance" mentality in the schools around here that seen students suspended from school for such infractions as biting a pop tart into something roughly shaped like a gun and bringing a tiny GI Joe sized toy gun into school.

Somewhere along the line, common sense seems to have been lost.

A rule is a rule, and a violation is a violation. Whether it is PPE or use of cell phones while on duty, it is really as simple as that. You start applying gray areas or subjective analysis to what is a true/false situation, then the rule quickly becomes unenforceable. There are plenty of ways to provide "good customer service" without breaking the rule about cell phone use. It is not an either/or.
And yet the LSA is required to use a cell phone to call in their order as the trains approach NYP and end points too, if the train is to go right back out.

Conductors also can call Ticket Agents, Dispatchers, etc. for business use.

There may be a little bit of grey area here... But I hardly fault the people taking photos... It's Amtraks decision to look into the issue of that employees behavior.

Back to the COBS, when Amtrak start low level mangers (On-Board-Mangers) did ride the trains. Guys and Gals wearing red jackets. At some point they left the train to work in the yards. (getting trains out was the isssues not the staff onboard.)

Not sure how or when they returned as COBS. I do understand a Judge ruled their position is a Union job, but not sure the lawyers did a good job in that case. Just don't get how a Manager on board position in 72, became a Chief position, but can not return to a manager position. I just think Amtrak used a poor set of words when in court.

If a "Chief Of Board Services" position is union, then a "On-Board-Manager" is management.

Way to tired to be posting. Brain not working.

Just more evidence of Amtrak's biggest problem within its control, very inconsistent customer service. Hope you will take the time to contact Customer Service about your experience, complaints about this kind of service (and commendations for service like you got on the LSL) is the only way that has a change of changin. Just to satisfy my curiosity, and possibly to confirm my own preconceptions, are you in the Portland sleeper (2730) or one of the Seattle sleepers (0730/0731)? The Portland sleeper is crewed out of the Chicago crewbase, while the Seattle sleepers are crewed out of the Seattle crewbase. And I agree with sending pix. Then there is evidence, instead of just "he said, she said".
Actually it is car 2730! But my SCA on the LSL was from Chicago and he was super attentive.
Well, That's bad news. That's the same car I'm on in a few weeks.

Running the train into another train or derailing because the engineer missed a slow order would be a bit more of a quality hit than not getting your morning newspaper on time.
I don't mean to make the argument that poor customer service is acceptable. It isn't. But the conductor has far more on his place. What is needed is either a return of the Chief of OBS onboard (and for them to be effective) or more manager presence on trains (although when your boss is around, you tend to not slack off).

Until one of both of them happen, all we can do is report the bad apples and wait for the complaints to have an impact (which they do).

I agree that the things you mentioned have more priority! By the same token, don't they have more priority than evicting a paying customer for some minor "rules" infraction?.......You are saying the conductor has too much to do to satisfy a customer's complain, but not too much to do if the SCA or CA has a complaint about a customer???????

In response to OP, how do guys like "Miguel" get hired in the first place? It seems that getting hired by Amtrak is difficult, yet the company has too many employees who do not understand the concept of customer service, which is one of the primary missions/functions of the company. Is there a lot of nepotism at Amtrak, is there a lot of "hire my buddy, he is a great worker"?

What role does the union play? Are they willing to sacrifice the reputation of the company in order to "get back" at management?

What role does management play? The trains are full, customer service has never been an enforced priority, the unions are difficult to work with, why rock the boat.

Bottom line is that Amtrak has operated as this sub-par transportation company for over 40 years. However given the current (and future) political climate the future remains uncertain, especially on the routes that some of the "Miguel's" inhabit (ie long-distance trains). If the worse were to happen and the company broken up and allowed to go under, a lot of these employees would end up working at the "BK Lounge" for minimum wage and no benefits. And they will only have themselves to blame.

Just more evidence of Amtrak's biggest problem within its control, very inconsistent customer service. Hope you will take the time to contact Customer Service about your experience, complaints about this kind of service (and commendations for service like you got on the LSL) is the only way that has a change of changin. Just to satisfy my curiosity, and possibly to confirm my own preconceptions, are you in the Portland sleeper (2730) or one of the Seattle sleepers (0730/0731)? The Portland sleeper is crewed out of the Chicago crewbase, while the Seattle sleepers are crewed out of the Seattle crewbase. And I agree with sending pix. Then there is evidence, instead of just "he said, she said".
Actually it is car 2730! But my SCA on the LSL was from Chicago and he was super attentive.
Well, That's bad news. That's the same car I'm on in a few weeks.
I will be on that car in early July as well. Let's hope he will be on another consist or better yet canned by then.

Just more evidence of Amtrak's biggest problem within its control, very inconsistent customer service. Hope you will take the time to contact Customer Service about your experience, complaints about this kind of service (and commendations for service like you got on the LSL) is the only way that has a change of changin.
Just to satisfy my curiosity, and possibly to confirm my own preconceptions, are you in the Portland sleeper (2730) or one of the Seattle sleepers (0730/0731)? The Portland sleeper is crewed out of the Chicago crewbase, while the Seattle sleepers are crewed out of the Seattle crewbase.

And I agree with sending pix. Then there is evidence, instead of just "he said, she said".
is there a general problem with Portland sleeper (I.e. Chicago crew)? Traveling tomorrow out of portland so I'm curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a "Chief Of Board Services" position is union, then a "On-Board-Manager" is management.
Aloha

Basically The difference between a union position and management as accepted by the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) it the ability to hire and fire.

Wow. Amazing how much this conversation has progressed! It didn't strike me that Miguel liked his job. When I asked him when the wine and cheese tasting was he almost spoke down to me and said not to worry, there would be an announcement. He never did tell me a specific time. So I almost felt afraid to ever ask him something because he'd seem bothered or speak down to me. For instance, the shower leaked a little onto the carpet outside the door. The shower door said to report anything about it that wasn't to my expectations, but I figured even if I did mention it to Miguel he wouldn't care or report it. It was as if everything was on his terms rather than the passenger.

I ended up not tipping him anything. My expectations weren't event met, let alone exceeded. Perhaps next time I ought to lower my expectations even more.

I just returned from a round trip EB trip to PDX-SEA-CBS. I had nothing but the best of service. John on the way out (SCA) was superb. We had some great conversations and he told me he loved his job (14 years) and that people like me made him enjoy it more. Tracy was the SCA on the the return and she was also great. I was running short of cash for her tip and am sending her a little money today to Seattle. Also, regarding pets on Amtrak....I saw a young woman with some little dog suspended in a pack around her neck. She said she was never questioned and I actually thought it was a stuffed animal until I saw it move.

About 15 years ago........ ancient history I know...... my wife and I were returning from our honeymoon on the Empire Builder and an elderly passenger in our car flagged down the conductor and asked "Are you the person to talk to if I have a problem?" The conductor, who had just come on at the last stop answered "I'll go find your car attendant. It's his job to deal with your problem." The passenger answered "But the car attendant IS my problem."

About 15 years ago........ ancient history I know...... my wife and I were returning from our honeymoon on the Empire Builder and an elderly passenger in our car flagged down the conductor and asked "Are you the person to talk to if I have a problem?" The conductor, who had just come on at the last stop answered "I'll go find your car attendant. It's his job to deal with your problem." The passenger answered "But the car attendant IS my problem."
What did the conductor say to that?

Actually, it takes far more than a minor "rules" infraction to get tossed from the train.
That's a nice deflection of the question, so I will be more precise:

Are you saying that the conductor is too busy doing other things to deal with "disciplining" an attendant? If so, then you are also saying that s/he is too busy to "discipline" a paying customer, aren't you?

We all know the second half of that statement is not true, so I submit that the first half is not either. Your rebuttal, please?

That's not a deflection, that's a statement of fact. Amtrak's conditions on the Carriage of Passengers includes the following reasons that a conductor can toss you from a train:

Whose conduct is objectionable (such as, but not limited to, being under the influence of alcohol or narcotics);
Whose personal hygiene makes them offensive;

Who pose a health, safety or security hazard to other passengers or employees;

Who refuse to comply with safety or security rules or with instructions of Amtrak personnel;

Who would require Amtrak personnel to provide personal care services or otherwise do not meet the essential requirements for the receipt of Amtrak services; or

Who refuse to consent to Amtrak security inspections of persons and/or baggage onboard Amtrak trains and/or at designated areas, such as train platforms and passenger boarding or waiting areas.
If the conduct doesn't rise to these levels, it isn't important enough for the conductor to get involved in.

I don't see "not delivering my newspaper early enough for my liking" on that list.

I don't think a conductor has the authority to discipline a service employee for not doing their job. The conductor does have the authority to remove a passenger for being drunk and/or disruptive.

I don't think a conductor has the authority to discipline a service employee for not doing their job. The conductor does have the authority to remove a passenger for being drunk and/or disruptive.
THAT is the crux of the question I had!

Do conductors have the authority to discipline an employee for not doing their job correctly? That is the question I would like to have answered.

If not, who does?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent the following through the "contact us" portal at Amtrak.com:

Just a general question. We are longtime members of AGR, generally ride "locally" and have done few overnight trips. We are looking to do a big trip from LAX to MSP this summer, but have read on several sites that the on board customer service can vary wildly.
If we encounter poor customer service on the trip, to whom would we bring this? Would that be the conductor on duty at the time? Do they have the authority do rectify poor customer service fron Sleeping Car Attendants, Car Attendants and such? Or would we have to grin and bear it through the trip and call/write customer service after the trip?
Thank you for your prompt reply!

Will post reply when/if it is recieved.

Two weeks ago I travelled SYR-CHI-SEA-PDX. Both SCA's , George on the LSL and Bobby on the Builder, were great. Interestingly, on the Builder in our car the ice was kept in the SCA's room while in the other SEA sleeper the ice was out by the coffee.

Actually, it takes far more than a minor "rules" infraction to get tossed from the train.
That's a nice deflection of the question, so I will be more precise:

Are you saying that the conductor is too busy doing other things to deal with "disciplining" an attendant? If so, then you are also saying that s/he is too busy to "discipline" a paying customer, aren't you?

We all know the second half of that statement is not true, so I submit that the first half is not either. Your rebuttal, please?
I have to agree with you on this.

What about this thread where a conductor publicly scolded a cafe attendant about cardboard tray use?

Serving Protocol in The Cafe Car

THAT is the crux of the question I had!

Do conductors have the authority to discipline an employee for not doing their job correctly? That is the question I would like to have answered.

If not, who does?
I believe they do.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

The Conductor's responsibilities are in black in white starting in section 6-27 of the, often quoted here, Amtrak Service Standards Manual

A couple of Conductor responsibilities from the manual:

d) Crew Performance – Observe and enforce all
rules and instructions resulting in the proper
performance of all crew members.

l) Passenger Comments – Follow through on each
passenger complaint until resolved, or until the
passenger has been introduced to another employee
who will take responsibility of helping to resolve
the complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back