Directions Chicago Union Station to museums

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteelWheel

My wife and I have planned and booked a loop ride from Richmond, VA, to Chicago and back in early May. We will take the Northeast Regional from Richmond to Washington, then the Capitol Limited from Washington to Chicago. After arriving in Chicago at 8:45 a.m., we will take the Cardinal, departing at 5:45 p.m., back to Charlottesville, VA, and then the Thruway bus link back to Richmond. This itinerary should leave us with about an 8-hour layover in Chicago. We would like to consider a quick visit to the Museum of Science and Industry (Pioneer Zephyr) and/or the Art Institute (Van Gogh, etc.) Can anyone who is familiar with Chicago tell us if it is feasible to try to get from Union Station to either of these museums in good time, and what transportation options, preferably Metra or CTA, we could use. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Walk directly east on Adams Street and you can't miss the Art Institute. It's one mile by Google Maps

Check the CTA web site for directions to the Museum of Science and Industry. You catch a bus on Jackson, and then transfer to the #6 or #10 bus. It's easily done, but I'd not trust my memory of the routes or bus numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have a nice walk down to the millennium park, or hop on a bus down Jackson to Michigan ave. and have a look at the stunning " Bean", http://www.360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena/image/chicago-cloud-gate-the-bean-sculpture-usa and then hop at Randolph street on a Metra South south shore line train right to the Museum of industry. It could be advisable to buy the museum tickets already online in order to avoid any queue and lost of time at the museum counter.

Here your Zephyr at the museum. http://www.360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena/image/chicago-museum-science-industry-msi-burlington-zephyr-usa There are hourly guided tours through the train.

Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the US. Best regards from Germany...Willy

If you arrive late ,I would take a taxi door to door for about twenty dollars(in 2009) plus tip for the fifteen minute trip.The buses , with waiting, will take over an hour.I felt rushed with only 4-5 hours at the museum.

You could take the south shore Metra also from the next station, which is Van Buren, http://www.360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena/image/chicago-metra-station-van-buren-usa much nicer than Randolph Street, because van Buren was beautifully restored. In any case have a South Shore line schedule printed out in your pocket in order to avoid wasting any waiting time of your precious time in Chicago.
To be clear, South Shore (NICTD) and Metra are two different railroads. One cannot ride South Shore locally within Chicago, as all eastbound passengers must have a destination that is no sooner than Hegewisch, and westbound trains are discharge-only once they get past Hegewisch. One could ride Metra Electric from downtown to the Museum (55th Street station, then walk east), or as others noted, take the #10 bus (if it's running, check www.transitchicago.com for details; it doesn't run every day all year round) or the #6 bus, which has frequent service all day long.

I posted this in another thread on the forum about getting around via public transportation in Chicago.

Don't rely on the memories of others, use Google Transit. for CTA routing and times - you'll get reliable, detailed information.

The best way to plan traveling on the CTA is to use the Google Transit feature in Google Maps

The CTA is one of the many public transit agencies all over the world that participates in Google Transit Google Transit participating agencies list

This is what I use when I'm in the city and it's never been less than perfect

The CTA also has a trip planner feature on their website that uses Google Transit for results CTA trip planner, schedules, and more information.

Here's a direct link to Google Transit for the Chicago area

Go to Google Transit

Input Start and Destination

Use the drop down menus to choose your departure dates and times

Click Get Directions

Or

Go to Google Maps

Click on get directions

Click on the bus icon

Input Start and Destination

Use the drop down menus to choose your departure dates and times

Click on Get Directions

You'll, more than likely, receive multiple suggested routes

Click on any one of the routes and scroll down to see the details of the route.

Buy or reload your CTA Transit Card at one of the machines inside the Metra Station inside CUS

After you leave your train, head towards the Great Hall, the Metra station is on the right before you go through the glass doors - CTA Transit Pass machines are on the right as you walk inside

It seems that a lot of people with long layovers tend to stay in the, imho, hideously, ugly area around CUS.

There's absolutely no reason not to see a little of the city without any fear of missing your train.

For a cheap fun mini tour of the city, taking a round trip on the 151 bus that originates and terminates in front of CUS is a fun idea, you can even haul your bags onto the bus if you don't want to rent a locker.

Using public transportation in Chicago is fast, easy, reliable, and safe.

Have fun!

As an example, using Google Transit, here are the public transportation options from Union Station to the Museum of Science and Industry.

I used Monday, May 7th and 9:30 am as the departure date and time.

You'd have to walk to Michigan Ave. to catch the #10 and to State St. to catch the #6

The X28 - Stoney Island Express stops in front of CUS, the old building on the west side of Canal - just look at the bus stop signs to make sure you're at the right one.

Public Transportation from Union Station to The Museum of Science and Industry

Buy or reload your CTA Transit Card at one of the machines inside the Metra Station inside CUS

After you leave your train, head towards the Great Hall, the Metra station is on the right before you go through the glass doors - CTA Transit Pass machines are on the right as you walk inside
Wonderful post, and I agree completely, except that I'd note that one-day CTA passes (only $5.75) are sold at (among other places) drug stores like the CVS on the corner of Canal and Adams. The fact that the transit pass machines only sell the 3 and 7 day passes is the single most maddening thing about CTA, in my mind.

Wonderful post, and I agree completely, except that I'd note that one-day CTA passes (only $5.75) are sold at (among other places) drug stores like the CVS on the corner of Canal and Adams. The fact that the transit pass machines only sell the 3 and 7 day passes is the single most maddening thing about CTA, in my mind.
Thank you
smile.gif

Because of that, I've never purchased any kind of day pass, I usually just figure out how many times I'm going to use the bus/L and buy a plain ol' Transit Pass.

I always have one in my purse and just reload it when I go to Chicago - it will always be cheaper than taking a cab, that's for sure.

I like to walk out of CUS and snag a bus without having to go anywhere else for a pass or having to mess around with cash for my fare.

As an example, using Google Transit, here are the public transportation options from Union Station to the Museum of Science and Industry.

I used Monday, May 7th and 9:30 am as the departure date and time.

You'd have to walk to Michigan Ave. to catch the #10 and to State St. to catch the #6

The X28 - Stoney Island Express stops in front of CUS, the old building on the west side of Canal - just look at the bus stop signs to make sure you're at the right one.
I generally don't mention the X28 because it only operates during rush hours on weekdays, and therefore isn't a reliable option for folks whose train may be late (or aren't going directly to the museum from the train station) or who are traveling on weekends. Usually, posters don't mention the day of week they're traveling (and sometimes, though not this case, they don't even mention the time of year).

If the X28 happens to be available, great. Nothing lost by using it.

As for relying on Google Transit, it is useful for planning on specific trips. However, one thing pretty much every online transit trip planner fails to do (at least, all that I've seen), is really give the traveler the sense of what options/alternatives are available, and which ones are preferable. If you don't know exactly when you're going to be traveling, but just want a general sense of what you could do, the trip planner isn't useful.

Someone could do a hypothetical search for info from Chicago Union Station to Museum of Science and Industry at 10:00 am and see that there is an X28 at 10:05 am. What it doesn't tell you is that if you get to the bus stop at 10:06 am, you can't use the X28 because the next one isn't until the afternoon.

Likewise, someone trying to get from Michigan/Delaware (near Water Tower) to the Chicago river at Michigan Avenue would check Google Transit and see a list of three bus routes they could take (some or all of which might be rush-hour only service, depending on the time entered). What Google Transit won't tell you, which is infinitely more useful, is to take ANY bus (well, except for the 33, but that only runs AM rush hours) from Michigan/Delaware southbound, because they will all take you there. There are seven bus route numbers you could take, but Google will only give you three options. Someone could spend 10-15 minutes waiting at the bus stop for the 145 to show up, while three 151s, two 147s and a 146 go by, because Google told them to take that specific route.

Even when they do give an accurate depiction of the alternative routings available, they don't list which ones are preferable based on frequency. This is important to know if you don't actually know when you'll be traveling. If you just miss the #10 out of the museum (on days when it's running), you could wait 20-30 minutes for the next one, or walk across the street to the #6 bus stop and catch a bus every 5-10 minutes.

I also suggest folks be careful of trip planners for their accuracy. While they should be accurate (and Google Transit usually is), the other Chicago transit trip planner, run by the RTA (a useless organization, don't get me started), called GoRoo (whatever that means) is horrible. Once, someone asked me to help them figure out how to get from their hotel in the Loop to a comedy club on the north side because the GoRoo planner didn't make any sense. I decided to try it out for myself, and the thing told me to walk six blocks to the Blue Line, ride it for one stop, then walk three miles to their destination. Never mind that the Brown Line not only was closer to both their origin and destination (requiring a total of a half mile of walking), but a bus would have been closer still. (And also never mind that the RTA spent millions of dollars building GoRoo, when they could have used Google Transit for free, but that's the RTA for you in Chicago, duplicating efforts while providing no real value...anyway, I shouldn't go on a rant about that because it will go on for pages).

Those of us who live in Chicago and are intimately familiar with the CTA system (including some who have worked there, in the planning department, and helped put together service schedules and the tourist map brochures and such) can provide much better "how to get there" info, with appropriate caveats, than any online trip planner ever could.

I don't want to quote the large post above.

I have never had a problem using Google Transit for travel in Chicago and New York City, ymmv, but that's consistently been my experience and the only thing I can speak of with any confidence.

I always do a search for all of the possible times that I'll possibly be riding public transportation and I also make use of the mobile version.

I'd suggest the same to anyone else not sure of travel times.

Trogdor's example is misleading because you are also given the next 3 options on different buses and trains in that 10:00 time frame if you happen to miss the 10:05 am X28 bus.

It does the same for 10:15, 10:30, etc - only shows the routes for that time frame.

Trogdor wrote:

Someone could do a hypothetical search for info from Chicago Union Station to Museum of Science and Industry at 10:00 am and see that there is an X28 at 10:05 am.

What it doesn't tell you is that if you get to the bus stop at 10:06 am, you can't use the X28 because the next one isn't until the afternoon.

transitexample.jpg

My wife and I have planned and booked a loop ride from Richmond, VA, to Chicago and back in early May. We will take the Northeast Regional from Richmond to Washington, then the Capitol Limited from Washington to Chicago. After arriving in Chicago at 8:45 a.m., we will take the Cardinal, departing at 5:45 p.m., back to Charlottesville, VA, and then the Thruway bus link back to Richmond. This itinerary should leave us with about an 8-hour layover in Chicago. We would like to consider a quick visit to the Museum of Science and Industry (Pioneer Zephyr) and/or the Art Institute (Van Gogh, etc.) Can anyone who is familiar with Chicago tell us if it is feasible to try to get from Union Station to either of these museums in good time, and what transportation options, preferably Metra or CTA, we could use. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Museum of Science & Industry:

Exit Union Station on Jackson. Walk across the river and two blocks to Wells Street. Take a left on Wells and walk 1/2 block to the Quincy 'El' Station. Take a Brown or Orange Line train around the loop to the Randolph/Wabash Station. Walk 2 blocks toward the lake on Randolph Street. The entrance to Millennium Station is at the corner of Randolph and Michigan Avenue.

Take a Metra Electric train from Millennium Station to the 55th/56th/57th Street Station. You can board any Metra train at Millennium Station as all trains from all three branches stop at 55th/56th/57th. Once at 55th/56th/57th, take the exit for 57th Street. Walk toward the lake on 57th Street. The Museum of Science & Industry will be approximately 2 blocks ahead and right on the lake.

Art Institute:

Exit Union Station on Jackson. Walk across the river and two blocks to Wells Street. Take a left on Wells and walk 1/2 block to the Quincy 'El' Station. Take a Brown or Orange Line train around the loop to the Adams/Wabash Station. Walk toward the lake on Adams Street. The Museum will be directly ahead at the end of Adams Street.

I have never had a problem using Google Transit for travel in Chicago and New York City, ymmv, but that's consistently been my experience and the only thing I can speak of with any confidence.

I always do a search for all of the possible times that I'll possibly be riding public transportation and I also make use of the mobile version.

Trogdor's example is misleading because you are also given the next 3 options on different buses and trains in that 10:00 time frame if you happen to miss the 10:05 am X28 bus.

It does the same for 10:15, 10:30, etc - only shows the routes for that time frame.

Trogdor wrote:

Someone could do a hypothetical search for info from Chicago Union Station to Museum of Science and Industry at 10:00 am and see that there is an X28 at 10:05 am.

What it doesn't tell you is that if you get to the bus stop at 10:06 am, you can't use the X28 because the next one isn't until the afternoon.

transitexample.jpg

Perhaps 10:06 was an exaggeration, but even using your example, what happens if you show up at 10:11? If you don't have a computer or smartphone with you, there's no way using that device to know which of those options is still available.

The point, though, isn't to say that one can't rely on Google Transit to give you accurate, time-specific information, but rather to challenge the notion that you can get better info on Google Transit than by asking folks on here that know how to get around this city.

Don't they have CTA maps at Union Station? If so, I think that's the best option. If someone doesn't have a smart phone, carrying the map is much easier than having a print-out of various options from Google Maps. The CTA map shows every possible bus route and L route. That way, if someone misses one bus, they know there are 3-4 other bus routes that serve a particular road and go to a particular spot.

It also helps navigate the Loop and the way the Red Line and Blue Line transfer to the elevated Loop lines, since not everyone is aware the L runs in only one direction around the Loop. I've seen many a person get stuck going south on the Orange Line when they thought they were going to head north. :p

Trogdor wrote:

transitexample.jpg

Perhaps 10:06 was an exaggeration, but even using your example, what happens if you show up at 10:11? If you don't have a computer or smartphone with you, there's no way using that device to know which of those options is still available.

The point, though, isn't to say that one can't rely on Google Transit to give you accurate, time-specific information, but rather to challenge the notion that you can get better info on Google Transit than by asking folks on here that know how to get around this city.

Having lived exclusively in the actual city, using nothing but CTA and the occasional cab for many decades, I can get around as well as the next guy.

So, I believe that I also have very reliable information to offer but I'm not going to take the chance of sending someone on a wild goose chase due to schedule and route changes.

The easiest way, for someone unfamiliar with the city, to get anywhere from CUS is by catching the closest bus or train that will take them to their destination.

Besides, any route that anyone here suggests still needs to be double checked using the CTA website or Google Transit for actual times and construction detours downtown.

Don't they have CTA maps at Union Station? If so, I think that's the best option. If someone doesn't have a smart phone, carrying the map is much easier than having a print-out of various options from Google Maps. The CTA map shows every possible bus route and L route. That way, if someone misses one bus, they know there are 3-4 other bus routes that serve a particular road and go to a particular spot.

It also helps navigate the Loop and the way the Red Line and Blue Line transfer to the elevated Loop lines, since not everyone is aware the L runs in only one direction around the Loop. I've seen many a person get stuck going south on the Orange Line when they thought they were going to head north. :p
That's a great idea too, Sorcha - I'm just too hooked on technology, I suppose.
laugh.gif

Here's a link to the PDF of the CTA System Map Brochure in case anyone wants to print it.

That's a great idea too, Sorcha - I'm just too hooked on technology, I suppose.
laugh.gif
I'm the same way. I love using my phone. :) But there are times I still like having a map because I can see so much more and see everything all at once. Even though I'm familiar with the L, I still carry a CTA map in my purse every time we visit Chicago.

Plus, if my phone dies or a satellite crashes into the sun, I have a back-up. ;)

You could take the south shore Metra also from the next station, which is Van Buren, http://www.360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena/image/chicago-metra-station-van-buren-usa much nicer than Randolph Street, because van Buren was beautifully restored. In any case have a South Shore line schedule printed out in your pocket in order to avoid wasting any waiting time of your precious time in Chicago.
To be clear, South Shore (NICTD) and Metra are two different railroads. One cannot ride South Shore locally within Chicago, as all eastbound passengers must have a destination that is no sooner than Hegewisch, and westbound trains are discharge-only once they get past Hegewisch. One could ride Metra Electric from downtown to the Museum (55th Street station, then walk east), or as others noted, take the #10 bus (if it's running, check www.transitchicago.com for details; it doesn't run every day all year round) or the #6 bus, which has frequent service all day long.
Thank you for pointing me to that naming issue. Sure I meant Metra Electric running along the "South Shore" :rolleyes: here is the relevant schedule for you to get easy and smart directly to the Museum which is next to the Metra Station "55th -56th-57th Street" http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/me/schedule.full.html. By the way the Randolph Street Terminal is apparently now called Millennium Station which is sure more appropriate. Here a 360º view of a typical Metra Train from the inside. http://www.360cities.net/image/chicago-metra-commuter-train-to-aurora-lower-level-bilevel-car-usa#-351.61,2.85,80.0

Some thoughts using buses in a not familiar city.

- if you are not familiar with the bus routes and particularities of the buses I would avoid them when there is a railroad or subway available which is much clearer where and when it runs.

- all known bus route planning tools in the US, which I know, are very crappy and confusing.

- Buses are easy if you going straight along an Avenue and could be reassured that this bus stays on that route. But going a long way with many bus lines available, with some are running via different routes and/or during certain periods over the day only , could be terribly confusing, especially when going out of downtown as the destination says most probably nothing to you. The chance to get stranded somewhere is quite high. Take the train and you know it will run along the track and the schedule says when you will be there and furthermore you are not getting caught in traffic caused by people who insist of using their gas guzzling cars despite having an alternative available :eek:hboy: !!

I believe you can call 312-836-7000 and get paper copies of the CTA system map and various tourist-oriented brochures mailed to you for free (including the "Sightseeing Guide" Trogdor linked to above), should you want to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back