Dinner in the diner poll question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For breakfast being served 630 AM - 9 AM do you...

• Prefer as soon as the diner opens?

Votes: 55 45.5%
  • In the middle of service say around 7:30 AM?

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Near the end of service say 8:15 AM?

Votes: 37 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to get in before the diner fills up. I would prefer to eat dinner as the sun is setting but I usually turn in early on the train and dont want to eat and then go to bed right after.

As a Retired Person I usually stay up Late and Sleep Late @ Home, but when on Trains I always go to Sleep Fairly Early and Wake-up Early, hence after getting a Cup of Coffee and Juice in my Sleeper I go to Breakfast Early! On LD Routes the Diner tends to "run out" of the "Good Stuff" on the Second Day so I prefer to get an Early Lunch and then a Moderate Early Dinner Rez. The Exception is on the Texas Eagle where there is a 5PM and 6PM Dinner Call on the SB #21 and a Last Call Breakfast Call @ 9:30AM when Leaving Austin on the NB #22!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

Changing my eating habits from late eating to early is helping me loose weight. So far just under 50 pounds. 30 more I hope to loose.

I rarely ever eat Breakfast, yet when I'm on the train I'm usually pawing at the Diner door like a hungry cat first thing in the morning!

With breakfast and dinner, I tend to get in early: The former because of lines (crews have noted a "sunrise stampede" of sorts), and the latter because of occasional delays in service (dinner times can lag off more badly than other meals if the crew is short...I run into this a lot around Christmas, relatively speaking). Lunch is more of a laissez faire matter for me to have an opinion in...mainly because most of the time when I'm on a train, there is no lunch (either Silver into northern FL, for example, or on either of the Chicago-bound trains).

Edit: Of course, my favorite time to have dinner is when I'm pulling out of ALX...now, if only they'd revive the Silver Palm, I'd have a diner-served train to pick from in the morning, afternoon, and evening going north (and actually coming south as well, I believe).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to get in before the diner fills up. I would prefer to eat dinner as the sun is setting but I usually turn in early on the train and dont want to eat and then go to bed right after.
Same for me. I like the early seatings.

At home, I never eat 3 meals a day, usually breakfast and dinner. But when I'm on the train, I eat all three meals and end up eating about twice as much as I do at home. I think it's because it's so amazingly fun to meet new people in the diner and watch the world go by as you eat.

Due to weight gain, my Dr has restricted my trips on Amtrak.

At home, I never eat 3 meals a day, usually breakfast and dinner. But when I'm on the train, I eat all three meals and end up eating about twice as much as I do at home. I think it's because it's so amazingly fun to meet new people in the diner and watch the world go by as you eat.

So he must have banned you from going on cruises as well...HA!

So he must have banned you from going on cruises as well...HA!
Yes, and trips to Las Vegas are forbidden due to the buffets.

We're in the minority according to the poll--we like later seatings across the board. I always thought they seemed less crowded and I guess that's really true! I can't say we care what the diner runs out of, but over many train rides we've only had it happen twice.

So true! When I took the "Columbus Loophole" last summer (6 good train days), there were 5 pounds more of me by the time we rolled into Chicago :)

We usually eat breakfast and lunch in the middle of the dining periods. We usually try for one of the earlier seatings for dinner. This usually leaves us some time after dinner to digest the food and not go to bed with a full stomach.

This is what I experienced during our first train trip and probably will this one as well. That breakfast we choose early. Because of my 6yr and 7yr...they are hungry first thing when they wake up, and they are early risers.

And then an early lunch, because they are bored by the time lunch comes around and it gives them an opportunity to get up and move around the train a bit.

Because we usually get on the train in Longview to start our journey and when we travel home from MIchigan...we get on late in Chicago..we do the late dinner. The kids have snacked during the day anyway and the late dinner fills their tummies, gets them to sleep early and keeps them from disturbing other passangers who are trying to settle down for the night. My kids usually are in bed by 8pm anyway..right after a bedtime snack..when at home. So the late dinner doesnt bother them.

But thats just from our experiences and what works for us.

I voted, although I'm no train expert.

My vote on all three was to eat early, in case they run out of any choices.

I don't know if that happens???

It occasionally does, though it's more likely towards the end of a trip than at the beginning. On day 1 of a 2-3 day trip, you'll be fine...but by the end of day 2, something might be out as the meal begins.

I typically like breakfast on the early side. Dinner - depends upon various factors to include train schedule and when I ate last, but typically I prefer dinner earlier than later.

I am the definition of a "non-morning person" so I tend to have breakfast around last call, as a result pushing my other meal times as late as possible since I have to walk around the train a good couple of times in order to get exercise and make myself hungry :)

I have never had a situation where they were out of my desired item, with the exception when the train was overbooked and delayed by 16 hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back