Dinner in the diner poll question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For breakfast being served 630 AM - 9 AM do you...

• Prefer as soon as the diner opens?

Votes: 55 45.5%
  • In the middle of service say around 7:30 AM?

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Near the end of service say 8:15 AM?

Votes: 37 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Breakfast - when I get up and french toast.

Lunch - five hours later - usually get the burger. Not too thrilled with that meal.

Dinner - the steak of course.

I also tend to look at the schedule and how we are running, because, although I don't smoke, I do like to get off at the "fresh air" breaks. So I try to schedule meals around them when possible. That is just an idiosyncrasy of mine.

I like the early seatings.

Sometimes they run out of items.

Get into the diner before reservations

are offered to coach passengers and the

meal times run late.

We like early seating for breakfast since many coach passengers like to eat one meal in the diner and its usually breakfast. Diner can fill up fast in the morning on the western trains.

Lunch is driven by possible fresh air stops--depends on the train--. Supper is usually around 5:30 or 6pm except on second day trips where (as has been pointed out) sometimes they run out of cheesecake :help: :lol: :lol:

Breakfast: ASAP

Lunch and dinner depend on when there are scenic opportunities outside. I'd like to be looking out the window when the train is passing through a particularly scenic area than feeding my face and missing it.

Breakfast I tend to eat early. Dinner I tend to eat late. Lunch I don't tend to eat at all since there's really no way to build up enough of an appetite to eat a dry burger with a stale bun just sitting around watching the rest of the world go by. I used to blow off breakfast too but after I tried the French toast I started going back again. It's not as good as freshly made French toast in a real restaurant but it's also not nearly as bad as the egg substitute omelets. Now that they're apparently replacing the French toast with frozen pancakes I may end up skipping breakfast again.

I ususally watch the serving crew at the first meal and judge accordingly. If I'm on the Crescent and the LSA is just handing out pens and sleeper checks to sign I know service is going to be slow at best...there's only one SA south of Atlanta or sometimes B'ham. But if the LSA pitches in, and I notice this more on Superliner trains, I pretty much follow an early breakfast, mid-lunch and early dinner. Much like Jim says...you never know when they're going to run out. I have been the first one in the diner in Chicago on the City and asked for lamb. "Oh, we're out of that" and they haven't served the first plate !#$%^

'Texas Sunset' [/b]timestamp='1306655170' post='296488']Breakfast I tend to eat early. Dinner I tend to eat late. Lunch I don't tend to eat at all since there's really no way to build up enough of an appetite to eat a dry burger with a stale bun just sitting around watching the rest of the world go by. I used to blow off breakfast too but after I tried the French toast I started going back again. It's not as good as freshly made French toast in a real restaurant but it's also not nearly as bad as the egg substitute omelets. Now that they're apparently replacing the French toast with frozen pancakes I may end up skipping breakfast again.
I'm not big on the lunches except for some of the chef's specials.

Your posting at the early hours suggests that your name should be Texas Sunrise, not Sunset!!

Please voice your opinions as well.
Breakfast early is great because it is usually somewhat quiet when the diner first opens.

One reason to eat lunch and dinner earlier, as opposed to later, is that there is less of a chance that entrees will be sold out. This is especially true on the longer haul routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back