Dining car limits?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how to do it Bob Dylan! Cabin for one for $500 is a steal!!! I paid $800 several years ago, but lately I've seen it around $1,100 when it is on sale on the deals page.

That's how to do it Bob Dylan! Cabin for one for $500 is a steal!!! I paid $800 several years ago, but lately I've seen it around $1,100 when it is on sale on the deals page.
Correction: The $500 CDN Fare was for a Lower Section Berth, but it was the most comfortable bed I've ever had on a Train and I still got all the perks! Still a hell of a deal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction: The $500 CDN Fare was for a Lower Section Berth, but it was the most comfortable bed I've ever had on a Train and I still got all the perks! Still a hell of a deal!
That's the folklore on lower berths, and it held true for me, as well. I thought that alchohol was allowed only in the enclosed cabins, though.

Technically you are correct about VIAsalcohol policy, it's similar to Amtraks. Long as you are discreet, just as on Amtrak, no-one minds sipping a little adult beverage to keep the bitter cold at bay! Smiles

The biggest differences are that the Legal drinking age in Canada is 19 and, as is true here in the States, the various Provinces have their own Laws about alcohol.

Isnt it easier to say "meals are free at point of delivery" and isn't it incorrect to say that's you pay for your meals within the tickets as Amtrak F&B is subsided by the tax payer so actually you are paying for your meals via your taxes whether you ride the train or not?

And as a none US citizen my meals are actually free ;)

Isnt it easier to say "meals are free at point of delivery" and isn't it incorrect to say that's you pay for your meals within the tickets as Amtrak F&B is subsided by the tax payer so actually you are paying for your meals via your taxes whether you ride the train or not?

And as a none US citizen my meals are actually free ;)
Depends on how you apply accounting practices. There's no doubt that contributing to the meals is part of the increased price of sleeper tickets. It's also a balancing act where elimination of meals (even if there is an additional cost) may decrease ridership, as people stuck on a train for two to three days are going to want to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back