Diner in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan

Train Attendant
We are coming in on the Empire Builder and departing on the Lake Shore so we have time for a good diner in Chicago. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good steak resterant within walking distance of Union Station.

Stan Ames

PS the lounge car on this train has outlets neat to each seat, real improvement over all the others we have been on

You made me all excited. I thought you spelled correctly and all and thought you were saying you saw a Heritage Diner in Chicago- which would suggest all sorts of things.

As for where to go, there is only one place I would go- Girodano's pizza just over the river on Jackson ST. That place is so good, I go to Chicago- from New York, mind you- just to eat there.

You must get the stuffed pizza. You MUST.

As for where to go, there is only one place I would go- Girodano's pizza just over the river on Jackson ST. That place is so good, I go to Chicago- from New York, mind you- just to eat there.
You must get the stuffed pizza. You MUST.
Aloha next month I hope to get into CUS to take your advise, and that of many AU members, but the original poster said steak. I remember from some years back a group of us went to a restaurant near the "miracle mile" we rely enjoyed. The name started with a M....

Hope that helps.

We are coming in on the Empire Builder and departing on the Lake Shore so we have time for a good diner in Chicago. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good steak resterant within walking distance of Union Station.
Stan Ames

PS the lounge car on this train has outlets neat to each seat, real improvement over all the others we have been on
There's a concentration of good steakhouses along State St near the Chicago River. It's a bit of a walk from Union Station--probably half an hour on foot, so you may want to take the El or a cab, neither of which will be long rides. Though I'm not sure the El will necessarily save you more than ten minutes, it's always fun as well as saving you half the walk. Walk east from Union Station on either Adams or Jackson and cross the river, then turn on Wells (left from Adams, right from Jackson). Board an ORANGE or BROWN train at Quincy (on Wells btw Adams & Jackson) and get off at State/Lake. Do not board any other color.

(The original) Morton's is at Wacker Place and Wabash (not Wacker Drive), one block east of State/Lake, turn north one block on Wabash, turn right onto Wacker Place and walk 'til you see Morton's.

Walk straight north on State one block and cross the river and you're at Smith & Wollensky. Walk another block north on State and turn left on Kinzie, and you'll come to Keefer's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you've already arrived today, or if you're on the Builder arriving tomorrow, but just in case you haven't already made it in (or if anyone else happens to be looking for directions)...

Stan Ames

There's a concentration of good steakhouses along State St near the Chicago River. It's a bit of a walk from Union Station--probably half an hour on foot, so you may want to take the El or a cab, neither of which will be long rides. Though I'm not sure the El will necessarily save you more than ten minutes, it's always fun as well as saving you half the walk. Walk east from Union Station on either Adams or Jackson and cross the river, then turn on Wells (left from Adams, right from Jackson). Board an ORANGE or BROWN train at Quincy (on Wells btw Adams & Jackson) and get off at State/Lake. Do not board any other color.

(The original) Morton's is at Wacker Place and Wabash (not Wacker Drive), one block east of State/Lake, turn north one block on Wabash, turn right onto Wacker Place and walk 'til you see Morton's.

Walk straight north on State one block and cross the river and you're at Smith & Wollensky. Walk another block north on State and turn left on Kinzie, and you'll come to Keefer's.
If you're interested in taking public transit, the #124 bus boards right in front of Union Station (northbound on Canal), and will take you along Wacker Drive to State Street, where you can exit and either walk over to Wabash, or cross the river and head to the other locations noted above (offhand, I can't remember if the bus has a stop at Wacker Place & Wabash...I don't think so; I believe the next stop would be at Michigan Avenue; in any event, not very far to go).

If you're arriving on a weekday, and it's still rush hour, you can take a #125 bus (same place as the 124 stops in front of Union Station), and it will take you along the Ohio/Ontario corridor. It's a semi-express bus, so it doesn't stop between Wells and State Street, but there are a bunch of restaurants along State, Wabash, and Rush Streets north of the river.

The return to Union Station from that area is not quite as convenient, since there isn't a bus along Wacker Drive that goes to Union Station (except during weekday rush hours, which, if you're returning from dinner, it probably won't be by the time you get done). The best bet there is to go to Michigan Avenue, and catch a 124, 151, or 157 southbound, and they'll take you to Union Station.

If you suddenly change your mind and get an inkling for breakfast or good classic Diner chow, give Lou Mitchell's a try! It's about a block from CUS on 565 W. Jackson; just head out the south door and turn right on Jackson. Go about a block and it's on the south side of the street.

If you suddenly change your mind and get an inkling for breakfast or good classic Diner chow, give Lou Mitchell's a try! It's about a block from CUS on 565 W. Jackson; just head out the south door and turn right on Jackson. Go about a block and it's on the south side of the street.
I don't know of anyone who has ever complained about Lou Mitchell's. My only thought is they close around 3 so dinner is out unless they have changed closing time which I doubt; their food is superb and the prices are reasonable. I have friends who pass up a free breakfast on the City to pay to eat at Mitchell's.

I don't know of anyone who has ever complained about Lou Mitchell's. My only thought is they close around 3 so dinner is out unless they have changed closing time which I doubt; their food is superb and the prices are reasonable. I have friends who pass up a free breakfast on the City to pay to eat at Mitchell's.
This Lou Mitchell's?

Still no dinner.

This Lou Mitchell's?

Still no dinner.
That's it...best black and white cookies west of New York City :)

Fogo de Chao
Did you ever eat at one of these places? I never saw so much food in one place in all my life!

Fogo de Chao
Yes I ate at the one in Chicago. Absolutely fabulous. My son ate at Brazzaz in Chicago last weekend. He and his wife felt Brazzaz was better than Fogo and he told me about Fogo. I thought the steak was excellent and it didn't stop coming until I told them "enough." Just a great place to eat.

I can't remember a great deal about the food quality, but I and my girlfriend had a stonking good drinking time at Billy Goats (original) tavern in Chicago!

Loads of real characters from the Trib newspaper and noisy locals in this underground pit..

Billy Goat Tavern...

Ed B)

Last edited by a moderator:
IT depends on what part of the country you come from as to when dinner is (or oversees) ! dinner for many people

is mid day then supper or Tea time as in Britain!

Trainfan

Not sure when your trip is, but Chicago is having their Restaurant Week later in the month, 20th-27th... Many steakhouses are participating, and lunch is $22/dinner is $32 for 3 or 4 courses.

Restaurant Week

Annnnnnnnnnd

if you like Greek Food, a quick one mile (or so) walk west of Union Station on either Jackson or Madison will take you to Greek Town and a whole slew of different restaurants on Halsted Avenue. My Wife and I are partial to the "Greek Islands." :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back