Dimensions of SWC roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Approximately what are the dimensions of a roomette on the SWC? I'm wondering if the "width" (?) is aproximately the width of two coach seats? (Width being from the entrance to the window) That said, approximately what would be the depth?

Thanks.

Since the lower berth is 2'4" wide, that means the seats are 28" wide. (The lower seats fold down to become the lower berth.)

As Ryan posted, the roomette itself is 3'6" wide, or 42". That gives you 14" from the edge of the lower berth to the door when the room is in nighttime mode.

There are a lot of YouTube videos where people show off the roomettes and trains too. Head there and punch in "Amtrak roomette" or "amtrak..." and then the name of one of the trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of like sitting in a tiny bathroom? :unsure:
But much more comfortable, especially if you're traveling alone! Most of us prefer the Viewliner Roomettes over the Superliner ones, both both are a nice way to roll down the rails!
I don't like the viewliner rooms...I didn't like being so low to the ground...all I saw was trees., I didn't like that the car had no luggage storage and all that was available was the high space in the room, plus I found having a toilet in the room high on the icky factor. Just me, but I prefer Superline.

In casual conversation, I tell people its about the size of three phone booths (if they know what a phone booth is)...that works until they can look at a diagram as in the first reply.

Kind of like sitting in a tiny bathroom? :unsure:
It's really not so bad, especially if you're by yourself. The large windows and high ceiling give the illusion of more space. Plus, you can keep the door and curtain open if you need more air, and you can always head down to the lounge if you want to spread out a bit.

I don't like small spaces, but I'm perfectly comfortable in a roomette. It's a million times better than sitting in a car. :)

Sitting in a tiny bathroom is not so bad, either. Especially if you have a copy of a railroad magazine to peruse.

If you're travelling alone, a Superline Roomette is more than enough space. If you're travelling with a lot of (unchecked) baggagte you may have to be a bit creative but even so, I've always found a way.

If you're two adults, Amtrak says the roomette is still Ok and I can see where they're coming from, but I've always preferred to book two separate roomettes wherever I could. We normally share in daytime configuration but sleep in separate ones. The upper bunk doesn't have a window to look out of and it can feel a bit like in a coffin up there.

I dunno what you chumps are talking about, I had plenty of space. :D

attachicon.gif
PDC_0669.JPG
Yea, in Officer's Country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back