Did I get spoiled?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanA

Train Attendant
I'm about 5 hrs into my first ride on the SWC and It has been 'figure it out yourself' since I boarded in ABQ. My SCA finally came round to take dinner reservations about an hour ago but it was up to me (and all the newbies) to find our way to lunch before they stopped serving, figure out where the observation car is, where the restrooms are, and (don't know yet) where the shower is. I asked about ice and was told there is none except for what I purchase in the cafe car. No mention of coffee. I am assuming it will be up to me to configure my bed when I'm ready. This is my second LD trip and I think my first Crescent from NYP - NOL spoiled me. Any comments?

Sounds like your have a MIA SCA (missing in action). Was it the SCA or the LSA who came by to get your dinner reservation? Usually its the LSA but sometimes the SCA helps out.

The shower is downstairs where the bathrooms are.

You might want to let the conductor know your SCA is MIA.

Unfortunately it sounds like you got one of the EZ Rider SCAs.( they arent that many but one rotten apple can spoil your trip!)

I'd deduct the tip you were planning to give this clown and spend it on yourself.

When you get home please Call ( not email or snail mail) Customer Relations @ 1800-USA-RAIL, when "Julie the Computer" answers, ask for AGENT ( you may have to do this a couple of times.) When you get a Live Amtrak Agent ask for Customer Relations and give them the details on this less and poor service so this OBS can be retrained or de-trained!

Hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of your trip, the Chief used to be a First Rate Route, but it sounds like its really going down in quality service!

If the MIA SCA shows up to collect their tip note their name so when you call Amtrak you have a name, etc. Also, most Conductors really care, so either they will assist you and/or find the SCA to do what is needed though the SCA is doing this very unhappily. If you tell Amtrak that the Conductor tried to resolve the situation as time permitted, then that shows The Customer Relations person you tried to resolve on the train, so this is as real concrete complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some TASC (Train Attendant - Sleeper Car) are, unfortunately, not very good.

The Internet has many wonderful resources.

Unfortunately, one has to be proactive to make effective use of the Internet.

Amtrak car layouts - I use this one the most - http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Train consists - The SWC is the second one.

Long distance train Dining car details.

Hopefully your TASC will wise up.

I second letting Amtrak know that your experience with that TASC was less than satisfactory.

Of course by the same token letting Amtrak know when your TASC was satisfactory, or even better, is also appropriate.

Whenever I get a TASC like that (and fortunately it has not been too often) it is amazing how suddenly my Tipping Hand cannot find the Money Pocket when I step off the train :)

As far as I'm aware, beverage service on all trains in the sleeping car is only from around 6 am to 11 am. They should have an Amtrak sign up in that area of the sleeping car where the coffee pot is saying this. As for ice, the FDA said we can't have ice chests in the sleeping car (probably because multiple hands would be using it, I assume). You can indeed get ice from us in the cafe cars!

As far as I'm aware, beverage service on all trains in the sleeping car is only from around 6 am to 11 am. They should have an Amtrak sign up in that area of the sleeping car where the coffee pot is saying this. As for ice, the FDA said we can't have ice chests in the sleeping car (probably because multiple hands would be using it, I assume). You can indeed get ice from us in the cafe cars!

I asked about ice and was told there is none except for what I purchase in the cafe car.
I believe either the SCA misinformed her or she misunderstood.

Jean, you can get free ice from the cafe.

Real problem SCA there. On my last trip in April I rode five different trains CONO twice, EB, CS, and CZ. In every case each SCA did something unique and different to show his desire to serve. Ice was available I know on the EB and CZ. In fact my EB SCA provided orange juice with ice as a special welcome aboard treat and repeated it the next morning.

Ok, so it turns out that my SCA was not the one who scanned my ticket and not the other one who took my dinner reservation. But my bed was prepared when I got back from dinner. I put the room together myself this morning, tho. I'm having a great trip so I'm not that concerned about the SCA. Scenery has been great and meal companions have been great Hoping the LSL will be as good tonight.

Hope your LSL trip is going well. One nice thing about the Viewliners--if your SCA is missing in action, you only have one level to walk through to track them down! :p

When you get home please Call ( not email or snail mail) Customer Relations @ 1800-USA-RAIL, when "Julie the Computer" answers, ask for AGENT ( you may have to do this a couple of times.) When you get a Live Amtrak Agent ask for Customer Relations and give them the details on this less and poor service so this OBS can be retrained or de-trained!
Any particular reason for calling, as opposed to writing (particularly snail mail)? I would think that transcribed customer service reports are easier to get incorrect information down and 'misplaced' afterwards (either unintentionally or otherwise). I have usually found that a well-written letter (on paper) gets more attention, even if only because someone fluent in English language writing skills has to read it and respond. Of course, I have not yet found the need to contact Amtrak CS personally, so my experience is with other entities.

As for ice, the FDA said we can't have ice chests in the sleeping car (probably because multiple hands would be using it, I assume). You can indeed get ice from us in the cafe cars!
I would note that I was surprised to see that my TASC had ice out in the sleeper when I was on the Lake Shore Limited in January; but then, those cars have actual galleys and the ice was in a bag in the sink with a regular foodservice ice scoop, so there weren't the sanitary issues that the old styrofoam cooler set up presented.

RSG: the best reason for calling CR instead of using e-mail or snail mail is that you get to talk to an actual live person in real time as opposed to getting a canned response written in corporate speak weeks later.

I've been told by OBS and Conductors that their Managers had passed on kuddos and complaints that were called in a CR in a timely manner but had never heard anything about their performance that was a result of emails or snail mail!

There's also the matter of receiving Vouchers, whether refund ones for denied service or "good will" ones for lousy service.

It's better to settle these things ASAP and not weeks or months later.

Seeing as you boarded after 12:00 you probably missed the lunch reservations, they come around pretty early and coffee is usually gone by that time also. The thing about a train, you don't have to go far to find a bathroom or the lounge car for that matter.

Just FYI folks, it's TAS or TAC. Train Attendant Sleeper / Train Attendant Coach.

Bless you for pointing that out. This "TASC" nonsense was making my eyes bleed.
And yet, on an LD route a year or two ago, the Attendant In My Sleeping Car [AIMSC] mentioned the official term which was a four-letter acronym. I'm pretty sure it was TASC; he even showed it to me on his log sheet (I guess to insure he wasn't making it up, even though I had no reason to doubt him).

If I were thee

The tip is already out of the question

I would as the SCA to have the conductor stop by, then tell him the SCA has been missing in action

I you have a cell, or wait to you get to a phone and report the SCA to customer service

the only way to get rid of the bad apples is to take them off the tree

Just FYI folks, it's TAS or TAC. Train Attendant Sleeper / Train Attendant Coach.

Bless you for pointing that out. This "TASC" nonsense was making my eyes bleed.
And yet, on an LD route a year or two ago, the Attendant In My Sleeping Car [AIMSC] mentioned the official term which was a four-letter acronym. I'm pretty sure it was TASC; he even showed it to me on his log sheet (I guess to insure he wasn't making it up, even though I had no reason to doubt him).
It is indeed "TAS" and "TAC" when referring to those already on the train, and where they are working. But the board is called "train attendant" in general, since they combined the train attendant and service attendant (diner) boards a few years ago.

Finally have time to check in here. My trip was great overall. I didn't tip the SCA on the SWC but my SCA on the LSL was great and he did get a good tip. Right after I got back I received a long survey from Amtrak about the ABQ-CHI ride experience and honestly completed it.

At the end of the day, its a train, one long hallway, hard to get lost. Showers and bathrooms are always on the first floor of bi-level cars, and in the front or rear of single level cars. As far as the attendant, don't tip them. We had a terrible attendant on the CZ in April who was reported to have been kicked out of the kitchen for not doing a good enough job. He even threw away some of our personal items we left in the room when he was getting it turned over for sleeping. My personal suggestion, fill out a complaint online at Amtrak.com. They not only responded to me personally (not some computer auto reply) but they also gave me a $100 travel voucher. I wasnt looking for anything free but it didnt hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back