Definitions of 'quiet' in the Quiet Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to sit in a QC and not have SOMEBODY talk or try to talk on a cell phone and that part IS printed on the hanging signs. Amtrak could print the rules word for word on the back of each and every quiet car seat and somebody would STILL try to break them.
But didn't you see the lettering, in the same color ink, as the background saying "this sign apply's to everyone but you" This can only be the reason. :lol: :rolleyes: :unsure: :lol: :huh: :lol: :) :lol:

Aloha

Eric
I can't help but wonder... if bringing a little stuffed doll talking on a cell phone along with a sharp hairpin would work? :blink: :unsure: :p

Smoking USED to be allowed everywhere now its only allowed in select areas sooooo the cell phone has now replaced one annoying habit with another for people, who are supposed to be adults and cannot be content to just sit still.
If you ban cell phones then some other annoying habbit will just come along to replace it.

I once watched a traffic stop in which a woman was talking on the cellphone holding up her (pointer) finger to a cop who was trying to get her license and reg. After a few increasingly heated requests to hang up the phone, she yelled at him to be quiet for a minute. At that point he grabbed her cellphone, threw it onto the ground, and stomped it to pieces. I was bent over laughing at that point and didn't see what else happened.

I once watched a traffic stop in which a woman was talking on the cellphone holding up her (pointer) finger to a cop who was trying to get her license and reg. After a few increasingly heated requests to hang up the phone, she yelled at him to be quiet for a minute. At that point he grabbed her cellphone, threw it onto the ground, and stomped it to pieces. I was bent over laughing at that point and didn't see what else happened.
Wouldn't you have loved to have captured a video of it to post on YouTube? :lol:

As much as she deserved it, and as much as it was probably hilarious, the officer's response was unacceptable. Violent destruction of property for the sake of retaliation is something in which police officers should not engage. He had several more appropriate options available to him, though some (e.g. arrest) would have been far less pleasant for the woman.

I wonder what the comments would be if he took a railfan's camera and smashed it?

Here's an idea: take the phone, hit the off button, and hand it back. Then write the ticket. A goon is a goon no matter who is the victim.

Frankly, I wouldn't say the man is a goon, especially since I know him personally. If you push someone too far, you get an angry response.

i emailed amtrak customer service and asked if i could eat a bag of chips in the QC and they said yes. :p :p

Frankly, I wouldn't say the man is a goon, especially since I know him personally. If you push someone too far, you get an angry response.
That's an example of 'too far"? That goon has serious issues.

That one act certainly is good evidence of him being a "goon". Police officers should act politely and within the bounds of the law, even if pushed "too far". If being ignored by someone on a cell phone is "too far" for this guy, I'd hate to see how he would react when faced with a situation that's actually dangerous. :eek:

That's an example of 'too far"? That goon has serious issues.

That one act certainly is good evidence of him being a "goon". Police officers should act politely and within the bounds of the law, even if pushed "too far". If being ignored by someone on a cell phone is "too far" for this guy, I'd hate to see how he would react when faced with a situation that's actually dangerous. :eek:
Actually he's probably lucky if he still has his job. That lady could have pressed charges against him for destroying her property. Taking the phone away from her he can legally do. Destroying it, he cannot do legally.

I've almost given up on the quiet car. The last time I rode it (from WAS - NYP) I had to be the "bad guy" and tell a group of people to quiet down, and they pretty much would not stop talking. Every time the attendant came by, she "scolded" them and they ended up making fun of her, laughing and talking about and "dumb" it was to make people stop talking. They ended up tiring of getting reprimanded by the attendant and moved after PHL, but by then, the trip pretty much had been ruined. It really is heaven for me when things are nice and quiet on a Friday after a week of work. It just takes a few morons to ruin it. :(

They should plaster the "quiet car" sign on the back of every seat. Some people just aren't listening when the announcement is made and/or just don't see the sign overhead--and sometimes they fall off of the ceiling.

I'm now resigned to just sit in a regular car and wear noise canceling headphones with music to block out everyone jabbering at full volume on their cell phone (which in my experience seems to be what all of the other cars on the NEC are filled with).

It just takes a few morons to ruin it. :( They should plaster the "quiet car" sign on the back of every seat. Some people just aren't listening when the announcement is made and/or just don't see the sign overhead--and sometimes they fall off of the ceiling.
Perhaps it would be better to place in ON every seat where violators can get a better view of it! :unsure:

I'm now resigned to just sit in a regular car and wear noise canceling headphones with music to block out everyone jabbering at full volume on their cell phone (which in my experience seems to be what all of the other cars on the NEC are filled with).
You know that active noise cancellation (ANC) headphones don't actually reduce the volume of people's voices, right? If anything, it makes them seem louder by canceling continuous sounds (aircraft engines, background rumbling, that sort of stuff) that would otherwise mask human voices, music, babies, etc. In the end, all you're doing is replacing the non-annoying noises with your music.

What you really want is a pair of in-the-ear phones (like these) that act like earplugs. They're much better at making things quieter (nothing like your boss talkng behind you for a few sentences before he realizes that you aren't listening to him); they're smaller (pocket size) and more durable (no bulky parts to break); they don't require batteries, and they protect your hearing by allowing the use of lower volume levels.

How to eat a potato chip in the Quiet Car:

I had potato chips while in the Quiet Car and here is how I did it:

1. Open bag all in one quick movement, making the most noise all at once so people will only glare at you one time. Do not recommend squeezing out all the air and letting the bag "pop!" This might get you removed from Quiet Car or the wrath of passengers...

2. Quietly, take out a napkin and gently shake out chips on the napkin.

3. Pick up ONE chip. (Do not take more than one or else you will not be able to complete other steps.)

4. Open mouth and gently press potato chip on tongue, without breaking the chip.

5. Close mouth gently.

6. Let potato chip sorta melt on your tongue and when mostly soft, just munch quietly and swallow.

7. Take a sip of something cold.

8. Repeat until chips are gone.

I did have an apple too for lunch, but I gave up on it... :lol:

You know that active noise cancellation (ANC) headphones don't actually reduce the volume of people's voices, right? If anything, it makes them seem louder by canceling continuous sounds (aircraft engines, background rumbling, that sort of stuff) that would otherwise mask human voices, music, babies, etc. In the end, all you're doing is replacing the non-annoying noises with your music.
What you really want is a pair of in-the-ear phones (like these) that act like earplugs. They're much better at making things quieter (nothing like your boss talkng behind you for a few sentences before he realizes that you aren't listening to him); they're smaller (pocket size) and more durable (no bulky parts to break); they don't require batteries, and they protect your hearing by allowing the use of lower volume levels.
Yeah, I know I really need in-ear phones... I've tried many of them and have yet to find ones that fit right (most of them end up falling out, or quickly losing their "seal"). My earphones do a pretty good job at blocking out the hum of the train/plane/etc, other people's loud conversations, and allowing me to listen to music/movies.

1. Open bag all in one quick movement, making the most noise all at once so people will only glare at you one time. Do not recommend squeezing out all the air and letting the bag "pop!" This might get you removed from Quiet Car or the wrath of passengers...

3. Pick up ONE chip. (Do not take more than one or else you will not be able to complete other steps.)

4. Open mouth and gently press potato chip on tongue, without breaking the chip.

5. Close mouth gently.

6. Let potato chip sorta melt on your tongue and when mostly soft, just munch quietly and swallow.

LOL LOL TOO FUNNY THX

Last edited by a moderator:

5. Close mouth gently.

LOL LOL TOO FUNNY THX
shhhh, stop yelling, this is the quiet thread!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back