Decisions, Decisions (Which Train Do I Take?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a rail trip to NOLA from NYC. I rode coach on the Lake Shore Limited (LSL?). Stayed overnight in Chicago. Bought some wine and snacks for the roomette ride on the City of New Orleans (CONO). Flew back home from NOLA.

I loved the experience of traveling long distance I'm planning on doing it again this year in May. This time, it's either from NYC to Dallas or from NOLA to NYC.

These are my options so far (assuming that the roomettes aren't sold out):

1. LSL to Chicago (arrives in Chicago at 9:45 pm). Stay overnight in Chicago. Texas Eagle (departs Chicago at 1:45 pm) to Dallas.

2. Cardinal to Chicago (arrives in Chicago at 10:05 am). Texas Eagle (departs Chicago at 1:45 pm) to Dallas on the same day.

or

3. Cresent from NOLA to NYC (planning to get a room)

4. CONO to Chicago (arrives 9 am). LSL to NYP (departing Chicago at 9:30 pm). Can stay overnight in Chicago.

So far I'm considering options 1 or 3. Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, welcome to AU.

Personally, I think Option 1 would be the best. Thats just me though.

Now, I have done the Crescent from NOL to NYP and that was a fun trip as well. I would recommend that as a backup option.

Whichever you end up choosing would be a fun trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions! As of this post, it looks like the LSL/Tx Eagle is the option I'm going with.

The price of the Cresent is beyond my reach (that's what I get for being indecisive). And if I was paying attention :wacko: , I would have seen that the Cardinal/Texas Eagle combo isn't a good idea for me. The 3 hour gap between the 2 trains would make for a tight connection if the Cardinal is late. I have to be in Dallas by a certain day (time doesn't matter so much).

TGIF. I don't have to think too hard this weekend. :rolleyes:

Umm, the TE is a daily train between CHI and SAS. Now, there are two cars that get switched onto the Sunset Limited 3 times a week, but otherwise the TE runs daily. Since he is only going to DAL, it doesnt matter. It would only matter if he was going farther down the line.

The SL only runs 3 days a week and the through coach and sleeper get transferred to and from it at SAS.

Thanks for the suggestions! As of this post, it looks like the LSL/Tx Eagle is the option I'm going with.
The price of the Cresent is beyond my reach (that's what I get for being indecisive). And if I was paying attention :wacko: , I would have seen that the Cardinal/Texas Eagle combo isn't a good idea for me. The 3 hour gap between the 2 trains would make for a tight connection if the Cardinal is late. I have to be in Dallas by a certain day (time doesn't matter so much).

TGIF. I don't have to think too hard this weekend. :rolleyes:
The Crescent should not be too expensive, you just need to check Amsnag for cheaper fares.

You could also take the CL to CHI, in spring you would probably want to take the Pennsylvanian to get to PGH. It's very scenic but there's often nothing to do in PGH while you wait for the CL which departs late at night. But it's fun for a "night guy" like me!

I thought the LSL arrives in CHI around 9:45 AM not PM - so no need to spend the night in Chicago.

The Crescent should not be too expensive, you just need to check Amsnag for cheaper fares.
It looks like he needs to be in Dallas on a certain day, so Amsnag isn't much help.

As was mentioned, you can do LSL - TE same day.

But, if you're ok with an overnight on your dime and nervous about the Card -TE connection, you can overnight in CHI to make that connection (depending on what day you are talking about).

It looks like he needs to be in Dallas on a certain day, so Amsnag isn't much help.

As was mentioned, you can do LSL - TE same day.

But, if you're ok with an overnight on your dime and nervous about the Card -TE connection, you can overnight in CHI to make that connection (depending on what day you are talking about).
But I was talking about Option 3 NOL-NYP. He's probably not going to Dallas on that option. So he can use Amsnag.

As mentioned before, I booked the LSL/TE route. But I looked at the regional/Capitol Limited combo with the TE and it's the same price as the LSL/TE. So I think I may do that.

I have a question about the DC station though: is there somewhere in the station I can stow my luggage if I'm in coach on the CL? I'd like to spend some time in DC.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back