Dearborn Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_mlanoue

Hello,

I want to take my family by train from the Chicago area to Toronto. I know there isn't a direct route through Michigan anymore, but I can do it quite inexpensively by combining Amtrak and Via routes and crossing the border into Windsor. We'll probably spend the night in Dearborn and check out the Henry Ford museum before crossing. What I would like to know is:

1. How easy is it to get a cab from the Dearborn station to our hotel?

2. Is it realistic to take a cab across the border to the Via station, or should I try to find some other form of transportation--like a airport-type car service? I know there are some bus connections we can make, but I'd like to keep this simple, so my family doesn't get annoyed with me before we even get to Canada.

3. Is there anything else I should know about regarding Dearborn or Windsor?

Thanks so much! You guys have answered a ton of my questions over the past two years without even realizing it.

Matthew

I can't speak directly to the Dearborn questions, but an alternative routing that will save you a night in a hotel would be to take the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to upstate New York (at least as far as Buffalo, but possibly further, depending on the schedule of where/when the trains meet), and transfer to the Maple Leaf to head to Toronto.

The Best Western Greenfield Inn is only a couple miles from Dearborn station, and offers free shuttle service to/from the station as well as to/from the museum.

As a general rule, the customs offices at Windsor are quick and easy, especially at predawn hours. When you call for a cab, allow yourself plenty of time just in case they take extra time.

The station at Windsor does not open until about 30 minutes before train time, so be prepared to stand outside in the cold in case you zip through customs and arrive ahead of schedule.

Thanks for those tips!

My wife and I did the Lake Shore Limited last year on our trip home from Niagara Falls. I considered it this time, but I can get the four of us R/T from Chicago to Toronto for about $80 going through Windsor, thanks to my 2-for-1 Via Coupons. Plus, I'd like to try riding a Via train.

Out of curiosity, do Via trains in the Corridor have snak bars? I see references to snack carts, but nothing about an actual car.

Thanks,

Matthew

The corridor trains only have carts - there's no seperate lounge or cafe.

I prefer to ride VIA 1 when I travel in the corridor. The meal service at your seat is most enjoyable, I thought the price was reasonable.

Back