Dear Mr Anderson

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I rode backwards while eating breakfast on the Silver Meteor, because I was seated opposite the direction of travel.    It wasn't an issue.     [emoji14]
When we ride in our roomette on the Meteor, one of us, my wife our I, have to ride backwards. I actually find that riding backwards affords one a longer view of the scenery.

There are two keystone sets operating in this fashion. It is probably closer to 17,000 horsepower on a 5 car set.  That will accelerate faster than an Acela set.

They clearly do considering their are two trainsets running around with two sprinters. 
But they’re just doing this because they’re short on cab cars, so are they necessarily drawing full power from both Sprinters? Couldn’t they just run them both at half power or something like that, or let the second one trail freely?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is up to the engineer to decide how much power to call for. There is no power limiter, no manual traction motor isolation switch or engine isolation switch.

It is either online or offline. If it is offline, it must be dead in tow and would need to be placed directly behind the live unit. 

This defeats the purpose of having one on each end.

Back