Daylight Saving Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This wreaks of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity thought experiments such as when trying to capture a car traveling at nearly the speed of light when it attempts to drive through a building with entrance and exit doors closing instantaneously and simultaneously as soon as the car enters the building. The car isn't captured - it's already gone.
Wait, what? I want to hear more about this.

How about this from theoretical physicist N. D. Merman in his Spooky Actions At A Distance: Mysteries Of The Quantum Theory. ". . .clocks do not measure some pre-existing thing called "time", . . .time is simply a convenient way to abstract the common behavior of all those objects we call "clocks"." :blink:

Why make it so difficult? Simply the train cannot depart until the scheduled time. So this makes trains simply stop at a station if it arrives early due to the time change and wait until the appropriate departure time If it was 3:20 Standard time on the 11th, it's departure time is 3:20 Daylight Saving time on the 12th. Generally trains going east to west may actually be early if crossing time zone and the trains going west to east will generally be late if crossing a time zone. Nevertheless, it all works out once all trains in transit at 2 AM on the morning of the 12th reach their final destination. All trains originating on the 12th after 3 AM will leave on time on daylight saving time.

This wreaks of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity thought experiments such as when trying to capture a car traveling at nearly the speed of light when it attempts to drive through a building with entrance and exit doors closing instantaneously and simultaneously as soon as the car enters the building. The car isn't captured - it's already gone.
Here you go. It'll give you a good headache. Even better, it's a train in a tunnel.

jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Why make it so difficult? Simply the train cannot depart until the scheduled time. So this makes trains simply stop at a station if it arrives early due to the time change and wait until the appropriate departure time If it was 3:20 Standard time on the 11th, it's departure time is 3:20 Daylight Saving time on the 12th. Generally trains going east to west may actually be early if crossing time zone and the trains going west to east will generally be late if crossing a time zone. Nevertheless, it all works out once all trains in transit at 2 AM on the morning of the 12th reach their final destination. All trains originating on the 12th after 3 AM will leave on time on daylight saving time.
The complication is how Amtrak schedules a train in ARROW during the missing hour and how Amtrak reports whether the train is late or not and by how much, at subsequent stations.

jb

Actually, all of those overnight trains still on the road in the wee hours of 12 March 2017 will become one hour LATE at 1:00 AM (except in Arizona and Indiana) --regardless of which direction they are traveling. And they are unlikely to arrive at their next station -- or any of the remaining stations to the final destination for that run -- unless there is enough padding in the schedule to make up the one-hour delay that takes effect at 1:00 AM on 12 March 2017.

Actually, all of those overnight trains still on the road in the wee hours of 12 March 2017 will become one hour LATE at 1:00 AM (except in Arizona and Indiana) --regardless of which direction they are traveling. And they are unlikely to arrive at their next station -- or any of the remaining stations to the final destination for that run -- unless there is enough padding in the schedule to make up the one-hour delay that takes effect at 1:00 AM on 12 March 2017.
The clocks change at 2:00 am, not 1:00 am. So a train due to arrive at 2:01 am, not 1:00 am, will arrive late.

If that time change is too complicated to understand for some...imagine being on a trans-pacific flight over the date line on the same night the clocks change.... :D

If that time change is too complicated to understand for some...imagine being on a trans-pacific flight over the date line on the same night the clocks change.... :D
Imagined and actually done that. The time change is inconsequential until you arrive at your destination, which is when one really needs the local time. No one cares what the local time is in the area that one is flying over. So it is a non issue.
And even after arriving you set your watch back by a day and a number of hours forward or back depending on where your origin and destination is, assuming flying from Asia or Australia to the Americas. I just let the mobile phone auto set itself after landing, and voila! The right thing just happens.

Here you go. It'll give you a good headache. Even better, it's a train in a tunnel.

jb
Thanks for the link! I've been attempting to fully digest it ever since you posted this. Light speed is a concept that's fairly easy to accept but surprisingly difficult to fully comprehend.

John Bobinyec, on 07 Mar 2017 - 5:50 PM, said:

Devil's Advocate, on 07 Mar 2017 - 5:17 PM, said:

John Bobinyec, on 07 Mar 2017 - 4:22 PM, said:

This wreaks of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity thought experiments such as when trying to capture a car traveling at nearly the speed of light when it attempts to drive through a building with entrance and exit doors closing instantaneously and simultaneously as soon as the car enters the building.  The car isn't captured - it's already gone.
Here you go.  It'll give you a good headache.  Even better, it's a train in a tunnel.

I've always wondered how the Moffat and Cascade Tunnel doors worked!

Texas has several strong bills in the Texas Legislature (House and Senate) to eliminate DST in Texas.
&

If Michigan and Texas pass their DST elimination laws, I wonder if other states will follow?
Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to implement year round DST than to do away with it?
I would like them to eliminate the seasonal time change. It doesn't matter to me whether its standard or advanced time....just leave it alone, and eliminate the change.

If people are bothered by it being 'dark' early in the morning as a result, all they have to do is change the hours of the school or whatever else is impacted....

I'd rather have it get dark a bit earlier at night, which would mean no more springing forward.

Given southwestern Michigan's position in the time zone, it stays light until 9:30-10:00. It makes it hard to settle down and do the nighttime relaxation thing before bed.

Texas has several strong bills in the Texas Legislature (House and Senate) to eliminate DST in Texas.
&

If Michigan and Texas pass their DST elimination laws, I wonder if other states will follow?
Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to implement year round DST than to do away with it?
I would like them to eliminate the seasonal time change. It doesn't matter to me whether its standard or advanced time....just leave it alone, and eliminate the change.

If people are bothered by it being 'dark' early in the morning as a result, all they have to do is change the hours of the school or whatever else is impacted....
This whole issue largely strikes me as half a dozen of one, and six of the other.

For every person who dislikes seasonal time changes, there will be someone else absolutely livid at the idea of changing school hours. If we should ever abolish Daylight Savings Time, somebody will start complaining about the continental United States being divided into four time zones, and then want to change that too.

Really, people are upset about daylight savings time? Some people apparently have nothing else to think about.
Nearly everything I touch self-updates for DST these days. There's almost no definable effort required to keep up with it anymore. Yet as the process of adjusting to time changes becomes easier the chorus of the disgruntled grows louder. So many more important things to worry about but to my fellow Texans time changes are a sin against our "national" pride and arrogance.

Really, people are upset about daylight savings time? Some people apparently have nothing else to think about.
Nearly everything I touch self-updates for DST these days. There's almost no definable effort required to keep up with it anymore. Yet as the process of adjusting to time changes becomes easier the chorus of the disgruntled grows louder. So many more important things to worry about but to my fellow Texans time changes are a sin against our "national" pride and arrogance.
Even Amtrak's schedule finagling will probably become easier and make more sense if and when they ever migrate off of ARROW.

jb

If time changes are eliminated, then AU will lose one of its perennial topics to debate...let's see...smoking, tipping, etc.... :D

If time changes are eliminated, then AU will lose one of its perennial topics to debate...let's see...smoking, tipping, etc.... :D
The debate could of course continue endlessly asking to bring the DST back. You know how doggedly persistent some can be at AU! Trains from Philly to everywhere anyone? :p

The question about eliminating Standard time and having DST all year is prohibited by federal law. This was brought out a couple years ago when states were considering the elimination of the time change. The states are only allowed to have DST or no DST, the Fed also establishes when DST starts and stops.

I just let the mobile phone auto set itself after landing, and voila! The right thing just happens.
The right thing just happens, eh?

Could you do me a favor and board an airplane a few hours before the polls close in the next election? ;)

Back