CZ Wyoming detour & timetable change postponed again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The California Zephyr's planned schedule change and Wyoming detour have both been postponed once more. Details here from TRAC.
Q. for the more experienced here:

What are the chances that the (now Aug.8) last date for re-routing will run on

into Sept. and Oct.? (which is when I am making reservations).

No offense to Wyo, but I've been there, done that.

Thanks

Yes, it is possible the dates will slip some more. I work with railroads all the time and work schedules like this are always a bit "fluid". If I were to guess, I would think that mid-September to be about the drop dead date for work completion this year due the the short construction season in the mountains.

I am taking the California Zephr leaving Elko Nv on Aug 5. the rerouting was suppose to be done these next two months. I have been on the Zephr numerous times,but never could get my wife on a train until now. Am I in danger of getting rerouted. I have told her of the wonderful scenery,and want her to see it.

I am taking the California Zephr leaving Elko Nv on Aug 5. the rerouting was suppose to be done these next two months. I have been on the Zephr numerous times,but never could get my wife on a train until now. Am I in danger of getting rerouted. I have told her of the wonderful scenery,and want her to see it.
Well based upon the latest update posted by Superliner Diner, you will be rerouted on that date. But it's anyone's guess as to whether UP will indeed divert trains for that date in reality. They've already changed the dates twice, so who knows? :unsure:

I received a phone call from Amtrak on Monday 6/4 that my westbound CZ trip departing Chicago on 7/14 will be on the new, longer schedule, and they also mentioned that it will be taking the Wyoming detour.

Of course as we know things could still change, but the phone call specific to my reservation sort of solidified things for me.

One mistake the clerk made though, was that she said the longer schedule (leave CHI 2:00 PM, arrive EMY 7:50 PM) was because of the detour. But as we know the longer schedule is not related to the Colorado trackwork but rather west of Salt Lake City. In fact going via Wyoming takes less time than the DRG&W route via Glenwood Springs.

I received a phone call from Amtrak on Monday 6/4 that my westbound CZ trip departing Chicago on 7/14 will be on the new, longer schedule, and they also mentioned that it will be taking the Wyoming detour.
Of course as we know things could still change, but the phone call specific to my reservation sort of solidified things for me.

One mistake the clerk made though, was that she said the longer schedule (leave CHI 2:00 PM, arrive EMY 7:50 PM) was because of the detour. But as we know the longer schedule is not related to the Colorado trackwork but rather west of Salt Lake City. In fact going via Wyoming takes less time than the DRG&W route via Glenwood Springs.
I too got a message on my machine warning me about the detour, so I also figured that unfortunately things are probably not going to work out for us. Oddly enough they've only called me about the westbound trip; not the eastbound, at least yet.

I am on the CZ eastbound on July 4th and have not heard anything. I realize we will not be getting the detour, but I believe the departure time is earlier.

I too got a message on my machine warning me about the detour, so I also figured that unfortunately things are probably not going to work out for us. Oddly enough they've only called me about the westbound trip; not the eastbound, at least yet.
They actually caught me at work, though they didn't try my home number first. It was interesting because I knew exactly what she was going to tell me. I politely thanked her for letting me know.

I also got the message that I was going to be rerouted Aug 5th. Anyone know about the scenery through Wyoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back