CZ Train Truck Collision in NV -PC VIRUS WARNING!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
Some Ass-Hat has posted a bunch of STILL SHOTS on YouTube, with instructions to "...WATCH FULL VIDEO:::AT THIS LINK: phefash DOT notlong DOT com

DON'T CLICK THOSE LINKS! Even though it may have the FOX logo, it's gonna install CRAP on your PC you don't WANT.

Just trying to warn some of ya'll....................

apple_logo.jpg

:D

Killed my main computer. Don't know why my virus program didn't stop it.

So, I'm off to the PC tech tomorow morning. :angry:

Damn, that sucks but thanks for the heads up!

I'm typing this on a Mac but I also have various Windows computers like most folks. Even Mac's are susceptible to malicious attacks. I've had one download delete a whole bunch of files on my computer. On a Windows machine you can recover deleted files pretty easily with free software, but on a Mac I discovered that it was a real pain in the ass and useful file recovery software wasn't cheap. There has also been a real Mac virus that recently came out. It was bad enough that Apple finally had to admit it was causing major problems and create the early beginnings of an anti-malware service. Time will tell how safe OSX is, but my guess is that it may not be as inherently secure as many folks assume.

You don't really think that will protect you. Back in about 1995 at a software lab we ran a virus checker on a "safe" Apple machine that had been connected to the internet for about a year. No one thought to check for malware, we ran the virus checker and 214 viruses were found.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't really think that will protect you. Back in about 1995 at a software lab we ran a virus checker on a "safe" Apple machine that had been connected to the internet for about a year. No one thought to check for malware, we ran the virus checker and 214 viruses were found.
you are right . pre OSX was not any better then WIN 95

BUT the BSD and UNIX based OSX is not the same fruit ! .

I know of NO one who runs OS 9 or less .

1995 was OS 7 or 6 in that range . some 8 in the late 90s

All of my 'PEE CEES" run Linux . Or I use OSX and I never run as admin or Root or open stupid stuff.

apple or not I rathher use a POSIX like OS not the Odd duck Windows . BSD OSX UNIX solairis and IRIX Ect all act very much the same to a user BASH shell Ect .. really if you think deep , the odd ball is MS, not the rest .

Until OSX gets just as much isssues as Windows .

then OSX can be said to be safer . How you define this id up top you but Its simple all other isssues aside If you have 100 Win Boxes and 100 MACs and 60 PCs get nuked VS 50 macs Statistically the mac is stil ahead . right Its just math 101 .

now As apple most likely wil never have majorty market share the malware writers wil not bother as much as its not fun to go after 1.3 computers out of 10 .

to break it down more By apple charging more they limit the amount of macs they sell and so the hackers have a smaller target and thus less malware per market share and like I said Untill apple has Just as many virus and malware isssues as a PC the security issues will never get out of hand ,\.

What the variable is . its how much market share does it take for the hackers to want to really invest there time in cracking macs . this number we do not know . and really can not predict

apple is at 13% . so will it take 20 ? 30 40 ? % share for them to ramp up there mac cracking . who knows but at this rate its more then a few years till the mac is not a better option to me ..

right now its low eoungh to prevent mass issue and yet stil have a some what usefull OS that can do allmost anything.

I do not love apple I I hate there I OS crap . but "' right now" they offer what I want in a desktop OS and have ON THE WHOLE less isues per effort of software then a PC .

when they have more issues then I feel they are worjht then Il chose a new OS to use . thankfully computers change so fast that I upgrade so often that i am not locked down to one system .

I used WIN 98Se for Years .

Il bet that teh time I gst sick of apple Is around teh time Linux wil be a REAL option . Its damn close right now but I have one beef . CODECS . I run over $7000 In AV and Photo Softwaare and I have NO problem paying for it again But yopu Just cant get Protools or Final cut pro or teh like for Linux due to the GNU issue so am stuck with apple or a PC and cause I have a mac I might as well use it !

I just installed Fedora 14 and its SO fast on a old Pent M . way faster then XP was .

right now I am getting DVD playback to work this week . its a struggle but fora OS that is not a fat ass like Vista and 7 . its worth it.

Damn, that sucks but thanks for the heads up!

I'm typing this on a Mac but I also have various Windows computers like most folks. Even Mac's are susceptible to malicious attacks. I've had one download delete a whole bunch of files on my computer. On a Windows machine you can recover deleted files pretty easily with free software, but on a Mac I discovered that it was a real pain in the ass and useful file recovery software wasn't cheap. There has also been a real Mac virus that recently came out. It was bad enough that Apple finally had to admit it was causing major problems and create the early beginnings of an anti-malware service. Time will tell how safe OSX is, but my guess is that it may not be as inherently secure as many folks assume.

Do you use time machine ?

Its not that hard to use . its allmost idot proof . Every mac with OS 10.5 and above has it .

I upgraded to teh new Skype and I HATED the new UI so I used my backup to revert back to the older version .

Problem solved

and If you Ever Trash your HD so bad you can not boot the a EXTERNAL TIme machine backup is a 100% bit copy of your HD so you can reinstall the OS off the DVD and it WILL prompt you if you would like to recover from a time machine Drive and NO you need not use apple's drive ''

other then entering serials for Software again is ideal .

I use Gtech FW800 Drives and they work great .,

I use 2 of them so that I allwas have a 3rd Hardware independent Copy . back up to one or the other a term or so .

Peter

I think that qualifies as the absolutely worst written post I've ever seen on AU.
If not it has to be a very close second. I quit reading after about the third or fourth sentence. Just skimmed for words I recognized. Commenting on spelling and grammar are not usually kosher, BUT when you can't make sense of it despite repeated tries, it does deserve it.

I think that qualifies as the absolutely worst written post I've ever seen on AU.
If not it has to be a very close second. I quit reading after about the third or fourth sentence. Just skimmed for words I recognized. Commenting on spelling and grammar are not usually kosher, BUT when you can't make sense of it despite repeated tries, it does deserve it.

try that on cell phone then get back to me ..

try that on cell phone then get back to me ..
Given the state of that post, I'd advise a new phone or waiting until get to a better platform,

Sadly I am not near a full computer as I am wrapping up My ham radio event I had today In the middle of no Webs land . :help:

As for the edits . My Phone browser does not do loads of text at a time so I was not able to format it all at one time .

On the flip side as soon as I get back I can all was Edit it ! and Ill be back in a few hours.. Then I will .

Peter

Those YouTube link scams are common and are easy to spot. Just don't click on anything that says, "Click here to see the full video!" If they want to show you the full video so much, they can upload it to YouTube if it exists ;)

But even if you click on it, it won't install crap on your computer as long as it's protected with a good browser and good security settings. Programs like Spyware Blaster and Spybot Search & Destroy are common ways to "immunize" your computer with passive protection. Make sure your operating system, Java and Flash are updated and tell your browser not to install anything without your permission. I use Firefox and Chrome.

This is not an exhaustive list of security precautions to take, but they help.

I don't think that it alone will protect me, but it will greatly reduce the possibility that I'll have issues. Combine that with some other common sense measures and it really isn't an issue.

I've had one download delete a whole bunch of files on my computer. On a Windows machine you can recover deleted files pretty easily with free software, but on a Mac I discovered that it was a real pain in the ass and useful file recovery software wasn't cheap.
I've never heard of anything like that, what exactly happened? I would assume that this was pre-Time Machine, since that makes backups pretty solid. I supplement it with Crash Plan (and I really need to add in an offsite component).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back