CZ in Nevada, what's happening west of SLC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchBishop

Train Attendant
CZ 6(10) was 2 hours late leaving Elko, NV and 7:42 late arriving Salt Lake City. CZ has been losing time west of SLC a few days in the past week or so. Anyone know whats going on in that 45 mile stretch?

I was on 6(5) we were delayed for about four hours on that stretch of track.

The conductor told me we had two main problems on our trip:

1) The extremely cold weather was causing the track switches to freeze up and creating other problems with the signaling system. That forced us to follow a slow freight train for much of the trip across NV/UT.

2) We tried to pick up a bad ordered baggage car that had been set-aside by 5(3). After about an hour working with the car the conductors realized it was either too badly damaged or they didn't have the right parts to tow it back to Chicago.

We were able to make up more than an hour between Salt Lake City and Denver. Unfortunately we lost all of that time due to slow orders between Denver and Omaha.

Hopefully the bad-ordered bag was not too full when it went down... I imagine a "crew lounge" inside the Transdorm becoming an impromptu baggage storage area unless that consist just happened to have a coach-bag in its lineup.

Yep, time to let the old Heritage bags go for good. Can't get those new Viewliners soon enough!

Train sat in SLC for nearly 2 hours and is now over 9 hours behind, not going to make up much of that time. Folks will get to see Nebraska in daylight maybe.

That would be a change - no longer sunrise in western Iowa... but sunrise in western Nebraska :) .... typically I'm getting off the CZ in OMA, and always wish for it to be a little late (and hour or maybe two), ie, wake up at a reasonable hour, get off and have breakfast... but 9 hrs late: not sure I'd wish for that... other than for possibly once seeing NE in the daylight.

Hopefully the bad-ordered bag was not too full when it went down... I imagine a "crew lounge" inside the Transdorm becoming an impromptu baggage storage area unless that consist just happened to have a coach-bag in its lineup.

Yep, time to let the old Heritage bags go for good. Can't get those new Viewliners soon enough!
I could see that happening too... although my train just happened to have a coach-bag... so, you never know!

Train sat in SLC for nearly 2 hours and is now over 9 hours behind, not going to make up much of that time. Folks will get to see Nebraska in daylight maybe.
Haha. We saw most of Nebraska in daylight... I wasn't impressed.

It's also a pretty poor tradeoff compared to the incredible view you're supposed to get in Colorado.

The upside to being a little late was seeing all the Christmas lights in the little suburbs west of Chicago.

EDIT: Fix quote formatting.

Last edited by a moderator:
This train left Grand Junction at 7:30 PM , not much of a chance to see Colorado, if the sky was clear there was a good moon out.

From SLC to Den picked up 45 minutes, so everything must be fixed, just running late. Left Denver 3:37 AM almost 8 1/2 hours late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back