CZ detours Galesburg-KCY-Lincoln

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
This derailment along the BNSF route in Iowa caused the CZ to be coupled to the SWC in Galesburg and run as one supertrain to Kansas City, thence on its own on a normally non-passenger route back to Lincoln, NE and its regular route. Details here.

WOW, OK... some strange occurances at the Galesburg station that I observed now make sense now after reading that person's blog about the derailment (I love this board!).

I was on the California Zephyr (Train #5) out of Chicago on Saturday, May 12th. Since I knew #6 was running so late that day... I was going for a ride... CHI-GBB on #5 and then GBB-CHI back on #6.

We were a few minutes late out of Chicago... lost more time... and arrived in Galesburg about 30-40 minutes late. Usually, Galesburg is a very quick stop (especially if we are already running late like we were on Saturday)... but as I was getting off #5 in Galesburg the conductors announced that Galesburg would actually be a "smoke stop". I was VERY surprised. It ended up being a long smoke stop too... #5 just sat there in Galesburg for a good 15-20 minutes.

It pulled out of the station a bit and then stopped just a little further down the line.

#6 came in about 3-5 minutes after that and I got on that to go back to Chicago... while #5 and also a eastbound freight were seen sitting down the line, just to the west of the station.

Wow... interesting to hear what happened... jeez. That would explain the extra-long smoke break on #5 at Galesburg and why it just sat down the track as #6 came in.

I wonder when the derailment happened through because #6 came from Iowa and made it OK.

I also wonder when they told the CZ passengers about having to be coupled to the SWC... they didn't mention anything about it atleast through that Galesburg smoke stop... but they must have known what was going on then and just didn't say anything to the passengers until after departing GBB?

Last edited by a moderator:
I woulda liked to see a pic of that consist. I wonder what they did with the locos. Tack them on in front with the rest of the locos or would they just stick the CZ locos on the last car.

I woulda liked to see a pic of that consist. I wonder what they did with the locos. Tack them on in front with the rest of the locos or would they just stick the CZ locos on the last car.
I understand the just coupled the CZ onto the rear of the Chief, power and all. So the last car of the chief looked out to the hood of the lead CZ locomotive.

I understand the just coupled the CZ onto the rear of the Chief, power and all. So the last car of the chief looked out to the hood of the lead CZ locomotive.
According to a post by someone on the train, you could look out the railfan window on the last car of the Chief and wave at the engineer of the Zephyr.

My wife and I were on #5 on 12 May 07. I went back to the last coach to take pix. Got some great shots. However a glich in my flash card caused all pix from that point to San Francisco to be wiped out in the blink of an eye. No way to recover them AFAIK. Just my luck. Pix of the SWZ WOW. Heart broken and lighter in the wallet I started over in SF with a new card. More about the trip later. Still recovering from the 3:00 AM ARI in Cleveland. :blink: Had to work today. SWZ ? South West Zephyr , if only for a few miles.

My wife and I were on #5 on 12 May 07. I went back to the last coach to take pix. Got some great shots. However a glich in my flash card caused all pix from that point to San Francisco to be wiped out in the blink of an eye. No way to recover them AFAIK. Just my luck. Pix of the SWZ WOW. Heart broken and lighter in the wallet I started over in SF with a new card. More about the trip later. Still recovering from the 3:00 AM ARI in Cleveland. :blink: Had to work today. SWZ ? South West Zephyr , if only for a few miles.
I had the same thing happen with my CF card this last Fall. If you have reformatted the card or put other pictures on it, you can download software that may be able to recover your pictures. I paid about $20 online and was able to recover about 40 pictures, save one that I thought I had lost. It's worth a shot.

Dan

I had the same thing happen with my CF card this last Fall. If you have reformatted the card or put other pictures on it, you can download software that may be able to recover your pictures. I paid about $20 online and was able to recover about 40 pictures, save one that I thought I had lost. It's worth a shot.

Dan
I've had that happen, too. HERE is a typical type program. There are a bunch of them out there if you Google JPEG RECOVERY. Seems to me I even found one for free a few years ago. Have to look. I recovered all but 2-3 pictures from 40-50. Worth a shot if you haven't already reformatted your card.
If you do get them recovered, get a new card!

Thanks to all for help about recovering pix. I am working on getting it done. Work piled up while I was gone, so things are going sloely. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back