CZ & Capitols question: change trains, save time?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John McMillin

Quickly, somebody who thinks they know-- Amtrak's web schedule for the California Zephyr says you'll arrive in Emeryville two hours sooner by changing trains in Sacramento and taking a Capitol to the East Bay. The CZ is listed for 33 hours on the Denver-to-Emeryville run, with the change-trains option taking just 31 and change. Since the trains connect, both trains leave at the same time, and must run about the same speed... is this an SAT problem? Why would the local gain two hours over the transcontinental, running the same route, presumably? I'm booking a trip with my daughter tomorrow, and I want to look like I know everything, of course.

I don't know for sure, but I bet the capitols run a bit faster. They would definately have better acceleration than the longer CZ. Capitols I'm sure have priority on that route since they are more time sensitive with the commuters and all.

According to the .pdf timetables, train 5 (under the new schedule effective today) departs Sacramento at 2:15p and arrives Emeryville at 4:49p.

Train 541 (Capitol Corridor) departs Sacramento at 2:10p and arrives Emeryville at 3:50p.

Two things to note:

1) Train 5 to train 541 is *not* a guaranteed connection. In fact, train 5 (if on time, which is a gamble in and of itself) arrives after train 541 has left.

2) Train 5's schedule has a bit of padding in it, to account for possible delays enroute from Chicago. The actual running time between Sacramento and Emeryville is probably very close to the same for both trains.

Therefore, I couldn't possibly recommend complicating things with a connection. Just stay on the Zephyr to the end.

rmadisonwi said:
2) Train 5's schedule has a bit of padding in it, to account for possible delays enroute from Chicago. The actual running time between Sacramento and Emeryville is probably very close to the same for both trains.
Exactly.

There's actually an extra 1/2 hour of padding in the schedule. The eastbound Zephyr schedule shows a 2 hour journey between Sacremento and Emeryville, while the west bound schedule show a little over 2-1/2 hours.

It's not that it takes the train longer to cover the westbound direction, it's simply designed to help the train arrive on-time.

Stay on the California Zephyr all the way to Emeryville. Switching trains in SAC would be pointless since both trains run on the exact same route at the same speeds and the Zephyr makes less stops between SAC and EMY (usually just Martinez since it can skip Davis on most days if no one is getting off). On the contrary, the Capitols stop at Davis, Suisun, Martinez, Richmond, Berkeley, then Emeryville. I can GUARANTEE the direct Zephyr will get you to EMY quicker than switching trains at SAC.

I agree with JC, I live in SAC and on the rare occasion I have an option to jump on 5 or the Capitol I'll jump on 5 since it makes fewer stops to EMY and is faster (UP depending). Yes, SAC is discharge only on 5 but occassionally they will let you on (especially when I had a monthly pass).

As someone who has worked at and experienced the Capitols, they take less time between Emeryville and Sacramento in the Eastbound direction because of the longer station stops made by the Zephyr. In the Westbound direction, however, if you are already on the Zephyr, stay on the Zephyr. The train will most likely depart in the order it arrived in. Plus, with OTP being an issue, I would not advise a connection.

A funny story though about one of my recent Eastbound trips:

I took the CZ from Emeryville to Sacramento. It was scheduled to depart at 9:35am, after the 9:25am Capitol train. The Capitol train arrived late (around 9:37am) so it loaded up and departed Emeryville at the center platform. It continued Eastbound on the Eastbound track. We departed around 9:40am. We immediately crossed over to the Westbound track. We operated Eastbound on the Westbound track ultimatly passing the Capitol train while it was stopped at Richmond Station (as the CZ skips both the Berkeley stop (my local stop) and the Richmond BART connection stop). The Capitol train was loading up at the time. We continued to travel Eastbound on the Westbound track until a few miles before Martinez where I look out the window from the sightseer lounge and see the Capitol train passing us! Both trains were moving in the same direction, the CZ traveling Eastbound on the Westbound track and the Capitol traveling Eastbound on the Eastbound track. A minute or two after it passed we slowed down and crossed over to the Eastbound track. When we pulled into Martinez the Capitol train was already across the bridge (about 4-5 minutes ahead).

With that: Capitol trains travel the distance slightly faster (Eastbound) because of much shorter station stops (around 30 seconds to 1 minute at stops and 2 minutes at larger stations) and a much greater rate of acceleration. However, ANY connection from an LD train to a Corridor train is a risk that is generally not worth taking in this case. In this corridor the Capitols have a fairly good incentive package with UP so OTP is pretty high (80%'s with a goal of 90%). As from the story above, dispatching can be quite odd in this area as well (as Amtrak was taking both available tracks with two trains traveling in the same direction)!

If I travel Eastbound though... I'm usually on the CZ... I like the sightseer lounge and the Superliners! (But the California cars aren't too bad either)

If I ever wanted to move, The Bay area would b it. I know the cost of living is high, but oh the railroading.

On a weekend, you could travel to L.A. and back, going Saturday and returning Sunday. The same to Reno.

If you took a "three day weekend", you could go to Seattle. Note that all of these trains have scenery and dining cars.

In Chicago, there is not much.

tp49 said:
on the rare occasion I have an option to jump on 5 or the Capitol I'll jump on 5 since it makes fewer stops to EMY and is faster (UP depending). Yes, SAC is discharge only on 5 but occassionally they will let you on (especially when I had a monthly pass).
I've done the same a few times and got a free ride each time since the conductor never came around looking for tickets. :D

Back