Culpeper, Virginia parking?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wayne

I would appreciate if someone could describe the parking options at the Culpeper Virginia Amtrak station. Does it have over night parking? Thanks

I would appreciate if someone could describe the parking options at the Culpeper Virginia Amtrak station. Does it have over night parking? Thanks
Wayne,

As luck has it, I'm a frequent CLP rider as my parents live in town. Culpeper's station is very, very convenient. There is free short term (3 hour) parking directly in front of the station, which is now the town's Information Center (only open during daylight hours) and doesn't have ticketing or baggage services, unfortunately (you'll either need to have your tickets in hand or have made reservations over the phone and have a boarding code ready for the conductor). If you're looking for long-term parking, there is a public lot (FREE and unlimited time) approximately one block north of the station (click here for a PDF map of Culpeper; look for the blue "FREE ALL DAY PARK" zone near the station; it's literally a 2 minute walk).

Keep in mind that south/westbound trains are generally on-time or close to on-time, where the northbound trains (coming from Chicago and New Orleans) can sometimes be hours late. Regardless of which direction you're traveling, make sure to check the train status with Amtrak.com or 800-USA-RAIL one hour before scheduled departure. A general rule of thumb for Culpeper's arriving trains is that trains arrive 60 mins after they've left Alexandria (when heading south/west) and Charlottesville (when heading north). Both of those stations are staffed, so the trains always report in their status at those points. The Culpeper station's information desk (if it's open) is usually good about letting you know if the train's running on time as well if you ask (but keep in mind they only know what amtrak.com provides; they aren't Amtrak staff).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rafi, In March we traveling on the Cardinal too and from Lafayette, IN

Wayne,

As luck has it, I'm a frequent CLP rider as my parents live in town. Culpeper's station is very, very convenient. There is free short term (3 hour) parking directly in front of the station, which is now the town's Information Center (only open during daylight hours) and doesn't have ticketing or baggage services, unfortunately (you'll either need to have your tickets in hand or have made reservations over the phone and have a boarding code ready for the conductor). If you're looking for long-term parking, there is a public lot (FREE and unlimited time) approximately one block north of the station (click here for a PDF map of Culpeper; look for the blue "FREE ALL DAY PARK" zone near the station; it's literally a 2 minute walk).

Keep in mind that south/westbound trains are generally on-time or close to on-time, where the northbound trains (coming from Chicago and New Orleans) can sometimes be hours late. Regardless of which direction you're traveling, make sure to check the train status with Amtrak.com or 800-USA-RAIL one hour before scheduled departure. A general rule of thumb for Culpeper's arriving trains is that trains arrive 60 mins after they've left Alexandria (when heading south/west) and Charlottesville (when heading north). Both of those stations are staffed, so the trains always report in their status at those points. The Culpeper station's information desk (if it's open) is usually good about letting you know if the train's running on time as well if you ask (but keep in mind they only know what amtrak.com provides; they aren't Amtrak staff).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Rafi

Man, I got real excited when I saw my old friend Rafi answering a question.

Then I noticed the date. You may have set the record for the longest time between posts in a thread.

(sorry, I have nothing to offer to actually answer your question - hopefully someone will)

We departed there about 8 years on a trip to NOL. At that time there was a small parking lot at the end of the town of Culpepper right near the station. There were no parking limits and no fees. We parked there about 4 days and all was good. Don't know how it is today but you may be able to pick up some photos on Google maps. You can also call the Chamber of Commerce or visitors center there for more info.

Back