CS 14 connection with EB 28

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I am traveling north on 14 in a couple of weeks and see that the CS has been running pretty tight with the depature of the Builder recently. Any AU members have any recent experience with getting bustituted from KFS because of the anticipated PDX arrival times? :blink:

Status for train 14 arriving into PDX

2012-04-02: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 4:32 pm Delay: 37 minutes

2012-04-01: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 4:36 pm Delay: 32 minutes

2012-03-31: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 4:07 pm Delay: 6 minutes

2012-03-30: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 5:15 pm Delay: 70 minutes

2012-03-29: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 4:40 pm Delay: 39 minutes

2012-03-28: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 4:09 pm Delay: 0 minutes

2012-03-27: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 6:25 pm Delay: 133 minutes

I dont know if you'd get bussed from Klamath Falls... probably more likely Eugene-Springfield.

On a trip a couple of years ago we got stuck behind a broken down UP freight train on the N/B Coast Starlight and everyone making the connection to #28 was instructed to get off in Eugene-Springfield and was bussed to make the connection via I-5/I-405/I-84.

The bus driver didn't seem like the brightest guy. He said that we were going to bussed all the way to Spokane!! :( Meaning no dinner. I approached him and said that we were running 30 minutes ahead of #28, just across the river, and could easily board the train at Bingen-White Salmon. He actually listened to me and we met the train there instead. I will never forget the look on the conductors face when 40 people boarded there and he was only expecting like 2 people. But it made the situation a lot better that we didnt have to go all the way to SPK.

The CS used to be habitually about 4 to 5 hours late when they were doing track work in California. I have been on the train when they took passengers off at KFS to bus to PSC. I have also been on the CS when they left the passengers on, because even a bus was not going to catch the EB. Not an issue for me, as I get off at CMO!

:lol:

I dont know if you'd get bussed from Klamath Falls... probably more likely Eugene-Springfield.

On a trip a couple of years ago we got stuck behind a broken down UP freight train on the N/B Coast Starlight and everyone making the connection to #28 was instructed to get off in Eugene-Springfield and was bussed to make the connection via I-5/I-405/I-84.

The bus driver didn't seem like the brightest guy. He said that we were going to bussed all the way to Spokane!! :( Meaning no dinner. I approached him and said that we were running 30 minutes ahead of #28, just across the river, and could easily board the train at Bingen-White Salmon. He actually listened to me and we met the train there instead. I will never forget the look on the conductors face when 40 people boarded there and he was only expecting like 2 people. But it made the situation a lot better that we didnt have to go all the way to SPK.
Your story on the bussing is amazing. Nice that your bus driver would listen.

My experience years ago is that when northbound 14 was regularly late, they would bus us from Klamath Falls to Pasco (not the Willamette Valley stops). Like a ten hour bus trip with a dinner stop on the Oregon side of the river. Hated it.

I am traveling north on 14 in a couple of weeks and see that the CS has been running pretty tight with the depature of the Builder recently. Any AU members have any recent experience with getting bustituted from KFS because of the anticipated PDX arrival times? :blink:

Status for train 14 arriving into PDX

2012-03-31: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 4:07 pm Delay: 6 minutes

2012-03-28: Scheduled: 3:40 pm Actual: 4:09 pm Delay: 0 minutes
How are those such little delays? Both are close to 30 minutes!

When I was on the CS a few years ago and we were late, they bussed those connection to the EB from Albany, OR to PDX and held the EB!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back