"Crying Amtrak Girl" scam

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in chicago on national train day i was trying to find a bus line and this homeless guy overhead and wanted $4 to show me were the bus line was i said i had just enough for the cab etc he got all pissed off and called me something so i called him a racial name that starts with N.

Did he have military ID?
Good question. He didn't show me any and I didn't think to ask. He did go to the ticket counter after I gave him the money and appeared to purchase a ticket. He then bought a Coke and was still sitting in the waiting room no longer panhandling when I left to board the SWC.

Oddest train station hustle was at Whitefish, Montana. The westbound Empire Builder had pulled in around 9 p.m. and as I was walking quickly over to the newspaper boxes on the street side of the station, I was approached by a thirtysomething woman and a girl who looked about 12. "I need to borrow your cellphone," the woman told me as she extended herarm. I said I didn't have it on me. The daughter then took over the conversation. "Why can't you go back on the train and get it, huh?" I said I was sorry, bought my papers and then went back to the train. What was odd was the brazen confrontational tone of these two. I'm not sure whether they tried this on anyone else, but I did, in fact, have my iPhone on me and I sure wasn't about to hand it over to a pushy stranger.

I saw other people asking to use strangers' cellphones at LAUS. I was surprised how many people let them do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he have military ID?
Good question. He didn't show me any and I didn't think to ask. He did go to the ticket counter after I gave him the money and appeared to purchase a ticket. He then bought a Coke and was still sitting in the waiting room no longer panhandling when I left to board the SWC.
I think you did the right thing. The ID may just settle any doubts you may have had.

in chicago on national train day i was trying to find a bus line and this homeless guy overhead and wanted $4 to show me were the bus line was i said i had just enough for the cab etc he got all pissed off and called me something so i called him a racial name that starts with N.
You know what? I'm not shocked you'd do that.

In anycase, homeless people and beggars are not inherently black, and blacks are not inherently homeless or beggars. I could imagine someone pushing me around in that circumstance to the point where I called them names, but I would refer to them as [rear waste exit point], jerk, prick, heel, or pain-in-the-tuchus. I wouldn't even make a connection between their race and the fact that they were acting inappropriately.

Actually, I don't think I'd even make a connection between that and their socio-economic status/occupation.

I have been approached several times in downtown CHI with people saying they are $2 short for a train ticket and they need to get to Fox Lake, Elgin, etc. Usually I refuse and the times I have actually offered to buy them a ticket they have declined. Nice, huh? It shows me they are not really that interested in getting home. Whenever this happens and I am in my Trails & Rails uniform I give them a nice lecture about how it's not a good idea to solicit Amtrak crew while in an Amtrak station. I do - do the food thing though. Usually I eat at Giordano's and order a small stuffed pizza which I can never totally finish... I'll usually give the spare piece away. There is usually a panhandler around the Jackson Street Bridge there who can appreciate it.

so i called him a racial name that starts with N.
Don't ever do that again. That word is unacceptable. Don't stoop to their level.
yeah its just that he got really snippy and huffy i couldn't aford to pay him $4 or to buy him something to eat so he could show me how to get to the L train(or what ever you call it.)

NYP, Newark Penn & Newark Broad Street are notorious for this scenario with New Jersey Transit customers. Scammers will ask someone at the ticket machine next to the one they are at and give a sob story about their car being towed, etc etc and how they are $5 short for a train ticket. The unsuspecting good samaritan will put $5 into the ticket machine thinking they are helping the person out and when they walk away the scammer just cancels the purchase and gets the cash or if the person sticks around he will print the ticket and then offer it for sale on the platform. This is why New Jersey Transit made one way tickets non refundable after a purchase.

You know what? I'm not shocked you'd do that.

In anycase, homeless people and beggars are not inherently black, and blacks are not inherently homeless or beggars. I could imagine someone pushing me around in that circumstance to the point where I called them names, but I would refer to them as [rear waste exit point], jerk, prick, heel, or pain-in-the-tuchus. I wouldn't even make a connection between their race and the fact that they were acting inappropriately.

Actually, I don't think I'd even make a connection between that and their socio-economic status/occupation.
But, according to one of your previous posts on another thread, you were very vociferous in defending your right to refer to someone as "retarded" - why is that different? Just curious. I'm sure you know it's quite common for homeless people who panhandle in public places to be mentally handicapped and/or mentally ill.

yeah its just that he got really snippy and huffy i couldn't aford to pay him $4 or to buy him something to eat so he could show me how to get to the L train(or what ever you call it.)
I fail to see how this relates to this apparently obnoxious persons race.

This is why New Jersey Transit made one way tickets non refundable after a purchase.
No. NJTransit made fares non-refundable as part of Warrington/Sarles campaign to make the rails for peak travelers only, and to increase their desire to discriminate against those of us who are transit dependent. Remember, this discriminatory and car-owner favoring policy came into effect around the same time Warrington informed the world that Off-peak riders were incidental to NJ Transit's business.

This isn't about homeless people. This is symptomatic of the kind of draconian driving-public favoring policies that is driving our transit systems onto the rocks!

We have not been approached at the train station, but we don't ride regularly & train times are late at night/early morning.

However, we have plenty of panhandlers here. There was one guy by a McDonald's, with the usual 'I'm hungry' sign. People would buy him a burger, he'd pop it in his backpack. We saw another digging through the trash in front of another store for food, we offered to take him to the rescue mission for a shower, meal & bed, & he refused, just kept digging & eating old food out of the trash! Last time I went down to the Rescue Mission, a guy begged me for money to get to Seattle, said he was veteran. I told him to go up to the VA here & they should be able to help him. VA does have programs to help homeless veterans. I try not to give $, because most of the time they will spend it on something else, not on what they say they need it for.

Wow. You have failed.

Why would you tell people about this?

Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in the number of panhandlers at Chicago's Ogilvie Transportation Center (Metra) who just need X amount of dollars to reach their destination? While waiting for my train Friday afternoon, I was approached three times in less than a 30 minutes.

Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in the number of panhandlers at Chicago's Ogilvie Transportation Center (Metra) who just need X amount of dollars to reach their destination? While waiting for my train Friday afternoon, I was approached three times in less than a 30 minutes.
Yes.

It's usually pretty bad at CUS, but it's gotten worse at NW Station. I guess the people at the Jackson Hotel discovered a second train station.

i was in chi two weeks ago between trains, on the sidewalk, disoriented as usual, and my knee hurting so i couldn't wander too far. a guy, youngish and clean, stopped briefly saying he hadn't eaten today did i have some change. i gave the automatic no and he moved on. i was thinking if i knew where the river was, i'd be ok. i hailed him and told him i'd pay him a dollar if he told me where the river was. he eagerly offered to walk me there, the opposite of where he was going. i said just tell me, which he did quickly and clearly. he earned his buck and i got a dollar's worth.

I ran into a person like this a few days ago at Boston South Station. She said she had gotten off the train and the bus ticket was more than it said on the internet. It was actually pretty believable because she said that she thought that the "web fare" was how much it cost and it turned out to be more at the station. She said she needed $14 The part of the story that killed it was that when she heard my southern accent she put on an accent as well and claimed she was from Georgia. Now what makes it not add up is that no one in their right mind travels all the way from Georgia to Boston with exactly enough money for their train and bus fares. I didn't think about it at the time, but on top of that the regional connection from the Crescent doesn't come in at 2 in the afternoon when she was begging for money.

Simple logic can figure out most of these people. I had a guy in a Walmart parking lot begging for money so he could fix his tire on his car, but it was at midnight in a sleepy town where nothing else is open at that hour. My buddy kept asking him where he was going to get his tire fixed at midnight, but the bum kept trying to go in circles.

Last time I took the train to CHI I had a couple hours before my flight at KORD and so decided to walk over to the Millennium Station and take the Metra Elect to my grandparents house. As I left CUS I stopped for a second to get my bearings straight (I always have to do that coming out of CUS). And was approached by a guy asking if he could show me the way to some place; I told him I knew where I was going and that I didn't need help; I caught him a couple mins later a few blocks away just finishing up walking people to the L and was asking them for a few dollars. At the very least he is honest about it; and will walk you to wherever your going (within reason I would assume) for a couple bucks.

peter

Crying Girl is in the New York Times today!

http://www.nytimes.c...ing.html?ref=us
I'm surprised that there is no law against panhandling there. It used to be illegal in our town when I was growing up.

Courts have routinely ruled that "panhandling" cannot be banned. The First Amendment free speech protections apply to "can you spare a dime?" the same as they would to any other speech. Communities can, however, ban "aggressive panhandling" and many have done so.

I'm no lawyer but will play one on this forum: In Austin the panhandlers are allowed to have signs saying whatever they want but are not supposed to step into the street or VERBALLY ask for money! Seems like the folks spend considerable time creating imaginitive signs, not just the old "Will work for food" or "Vet needs help" etc. My current favorite isfrom a regular on the corner by where I live, his sign says: "Who am I kidding, I need a Beer!" ;) The police tend to enforce the ordinances hit or miss, since the weather is mostly good here (it's a tad HOT right now! :lol: )we have hoards of street people and the competition for good corners can be fierce! Also lots of undocumented folks looking for work since the economy is currently in the toliet here, the kind of jobs they do is hurting (construction/landscaping etc.) BTW-They are NOT "Illegal aliens", theyve yet to prove that aliens are here from other worlds, they are people trying to live,get by, just like all of us! ;)

Since the Redline opened some of these folks have started the old "I need $2 for a ticket to get home" scam which seems to be what this thread is about!I offered to buy a guy a ticket and he laughed and said can I just have a dollar! :lol:

I'm surprised that there is no law against panhandling there. It used to be illegal in our town when I was growing up.
You've obviously never been to Davis, California. Look up the world famous (or infamous) Davis toad tunnel for an idea of the place. Not quite as uber liberal as Berkeley but they're giving them a run for their money. ;)

Crying Girl is in the New York Times today!

http://www.nytimes.c...ing.html?ref=us

Courts have routinely ruled that "panhandling" cannot be banned. The First Amendment free speech protections apply to "can you spare a dime?" the same as they would to any other speech. Communities can, however, ban "aggressive panhandling" and many have done so.
No but it can be restricted just as any other First Amendment activity can and private property owners are free to ban panhandling on their property as they deem fit.

You've obviously never been to Davis, California. Look up the world famous (or infamous) Davis toad tunnel for an idea of the place. Not quite as uber liberal as Berkeley but they're giving them a run for their money. ;)
Nope, never been to Davis. I've been in SLC for many years, & there are a lot of them here. Usually the same people on the same corner for weeks & weeks. Usually they don't want food, they want $ for alcohol/drugs. We try to offer food/rides to one of the shelters so they can get showers, clean clothes, hot food & a bed, they usually refuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back