Crossing the Rockies 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no laws in the United States of America that require tipping. Tipping is 100% voluntary on your part. You can spend your whole holiday in the USA without tipping and feel good about it. Do not feel pressured to tip by reading the posts of those that are financially able and enjoy gifting those that serve them.

These posts on tipping are like a never ending auction. "I tip $1, I tip $2, I tip $5, I tip $10, I tip $20 or 10%,15%,20% ,etc."

No one has a right to intimidate you with their beliefs or castigate you for not doing as they do.

Tip, OK . Not to tip, OK Tell you to tip or how much, not OK !

Excellent post Rick!

If the cheapskates that exploit employee service workers by paying them as little as $2.10 an hour ( here in Texas that's Legal!)we wouldn't have this situation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry folks, I didn't intend to start any disputes. As a visitor to your shores I was looking for the appropriate way to behave. I travel the world and try to leave a small footprint. A guest, not a judge.

I've been to the USA three times before. Your tipping system was quite a shock the first time in 1967 as a young serviceman at Keesler AFB; so was the sticker shock at checkouts when all the taxes were added. But I Iearned those and many of your other ways in the past.

In this case I was just surprised by the first reply when it appeared the 15-18% system was not used but that was corrrected by later replies.

Thanks to all for all the advice for my trip.

I should start tipping $2.43, no matter what the bill. You always get your $2.43 tip.

That'll make them remember me!

I was only offering an idea of what some people tip (and overstated it -oops). Never meant to imply tipping was required or how much one should tip. Alan was asking for guidelines, not specifics, I believe.

I was only offering an idea of what some people tip (and overstated it -oops). Never meant to imply tipping was required or how much one should tip. Alan was asking for guidelines, not specifics, I believe.
You understood correctly; thanks.

As a newbie to Amtrak rail travel the only point I can add to the excellent advice given here is this. Earlier in the year we travelled on 7 long distance trains but only two from end to end, The Ghan in Oz and the CZ.

There is something about getting on a LD train at the very start and riding to the end, in particular something happens on day 2 and if your lucky it's a very LD train on day 3 too in that you start to feel part of the train community. For us that didn't happen travelling 10 hours here, or 12 hours there etc. There's a nucleus of passengers who remain on the train from end to end and these are often the people you spend time with.

BTW, we travelled the CZ in winter deliberately to get a view of this mighty scenery with a snow cover, it did it for us although we are now curious what it's like in high summer, no pleasing some people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back