Crescent's Annual Truncation due to trackwork

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received an email from Amtrak stating that my reservation for the 4 Jan from NOL to Alexandria VA would use "Alternate" transportation between NOL and Atlanta. Amtrak said it was due to trackwork between NOL and Atlanta during this time. I was able to change my reservation to the 3rd and get the same accomodations.

Yes, this is the annual NS track work/improvement period. The train will be housed on the adjacent tracks at the station during the day and then placed northbound for the return to DC. NS normally tries to do 4 ten hour days to allow for travel thru to NOL for a few days each week. Inconvenient,yes, but the work NS has done in the past has improved the ride south of ATL.

Instead of alternative( I guess that means a bus ) transportation, could they reroute the Crescent over its original route via Montgomery and the Gulf Coast to NOL?

Instead of alternative( I guess that means a bus ) transportation, could they reroute the Crescent over its original route via Montgomery and the Gulf Coast to NOL?
Normally there is no provided alternative. They simply cancel anything south of Atlanta.

I've heard the tracks are actually some of the smoothest in the LD network.

I've heard the tracks are actually some of the smoothest in the LD network.
I suspect that if the other lines were shut down every year for how long is it, that they would be as smooth.

I've always thought the Quincy to Galesburg segment of the Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandurg is also one of the smoothest. But during the 26 years I've been riding it, they've only shut it down for whatever twice, and then only for about a week each.

Granted, the two lines are not the same, but what gives with the annual shutdown? Does the cudzu and red clay undermine the tracks? :p Even with all its adverse conditions, the Empire Builder route doesn't get shut down.

I don't know the logistics of the shutdown, but that portion of the route is a winding/ curving section of track & it may require shoring up annually.

No
I have it on good authority that bustitution will be offered south of ATL. I don't recall that having been done in the past.
I just tried to book nyp-nol and it shows canceled. No alternate transportation other than thru Chicago.

No
I have it on good authority that bustitution will be offered south of ATL. I don't recall that having been done in the past.
I just tried to book nyp-nol and it shows canceled. No alternate transportation other than thru Chicago.
Sleeper or coach?

I can second GaSteve's post. What I read indicates alternate transportation will be provided this year in both directions between ATL-NOL. There will be one express bus ATL-NOL and one bus making all local stops ATL-SDL. Doesn't seem to be loaded in Arrow, yet, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This happens every year and I always question it...... NS still manages to push it's 20 or so daily freights through this section while the maintenance blitz is occurring.... That always makes me wonder why this is the only train that is regularly annulled rather than just having a service alert indicating there will be delays... The standard procedure for NS is to work between sidings and Back up freight for an hour or so then stop work until all trains pass the work zone before work resumes. So there is no real shutdown on this section just heavy delays....

This year NS is renewing both ATL - Birmingham & BHM - Meridian, Ms. NS seems to have the ability to schedule most freights during the night hours on this route. UP did shut down CHI - STL over a week to replace some rickety bridges. Then shut down the route daily to rebuild for the HrSR.. 10 hours are about all the daylight at this time of the year. BNSF has too much traffic to do that on the northern transcontinental route.

If this was a night time route a passenger train would probably not have been cancelled.

A point: I've generally never heard of a double-track line being completely shut down for more than a very short period, unless it's being elevated or tunneled. I can kind of understand why maintenance work on a single-track line might start to demand a shutdown.

Amtrak did offer an Alternative transportation on the segment it cancel. They said they would bus us (My wife and I) from NOL to ATL where we could rejoin the Crescent. I opted to change the date of travel to Sun the 3rd, which was still running and had the accomdations I wanted.

Barry

Checking Amtrak Status Maps archive database for #19 arrivals at NOL from Jan 3 through mid-February 2015, the Crescent was truncated Monday through Thursday for 6 weeks in 2015. Which is a fairly extended service interruption. If Amtrak is providing buses this year, have to wonder how many will take the bus rather than changing plans or flying, especially all the way from NOL to ATL which is a long haul in what may be a less than comfortable bus?

It would seem to me though that the focus of the bus substitution should be providing for the poor enroute customers who do not have much of an alternative. The NOL - ATL through folks have many choices and if they are not a train nut, would probably choose another mode. A semi-train nut like me would also choose another mode. We here tend to forget that a very significant proportion of Amtrak travel is not from big city to big city. Where Amtrak shines and has the potential to provide a truly critical service is from small town to big city, something that is hard to serve by airlines.

After talking with a friend at Amtrak only people with reservations made before the dates were confirmed and thus canceled will be afforded bus accommodations using greyhound. They are not accepting new reservations with any option of a bus.

It does not help creating an image of a credible transportation option if a reputation is developed that every so often for reasons that seem frivolous the train just does not run, and no alternative transportation is provided.

It does not help creating an image of a credible transportation option if a reputation is developed that every so often for reasons that seem frivolous the train just does not run, and no alternative transportation is provided.
I have to agree. I must further note that Birmingham at least is making a credible effort to promote and improve Amtrak service. So this is not very polite to them.

Thirded. I don't get why Amtrak can't charter a bus or rebook passengers on Greyhound or Megabus (where possible) and just keep selling those tickets up until departure (or until they're sold out at whatever level they consider the train sold out.)

While AmSnagging I noticed that the Crescent from NYP to NOL has periods of closure lasting 4 days followed by 3 days of operation all through this month and the first few days of February. If track maintenance is the cause, those planning on riding the rails down for Mardi Gras should hope there's no delay in completion.

Then too, it could simply be the result of a glitch in the Amtrak computer - square electron stuck someplace. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back